1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

4th generation coming 2015!

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by edmcohen, Nov 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm not disagreeing with you. I'm just saying the second gen was even worse.

2. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    right, I got that. As OP noted, 3rd gen. is terrible...

3. Northernguy

Northernguy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    My newest Autoweek magazine had a small news flash, which stated that there will be some significant changes to the Prius. Toyota's managing officer said the next generation Prius' performance will reflect "significant advances" in battery, electric-motor, and gas-engine technologies. The Prius electric motors will be smaller and more powerful. He said Toyota is looking at improving miles per gallon to 55. May be time to trade my 2012 v in, when the new Prius rolls out in 2015.

4. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't have any trouble getting 50MPG in my v. And there are already plenty of folks getting 55 in the hatchback.

5. Felt

Felt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I am currently on a 7000 mile road trip. My average for 5600 miles is 54.3 mpg. While in New England (driving 45-55 mph looking at the leaves) I clocked 64 mpg.

But those figures are not EPA calculated. All of us should be able to better EPA figures. If Toyota post 55 mpg (EPA) then 58-59 mpg should be easily achieved as a daily average, and 68-69 when driving a steady 45-55 mph.

BTW, gasoline in Virginia is $3.09/gal (the lowest I have seen .... and $3.25 on every corner).

Sergiospl likes this.
  6. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Awesome! Enjoy the trip!

You should see gas under $3 on your way back through the midwest.

Felt likes this.
  7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Actually this last generation was a 6-year cycle (2008-2013). The previous ones were 5-year cycles.

8. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

"The North American release was delayed until January 2008 (2009 MY)."

Toyota Corolla - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I remember Matrix came out early 2008 as a 2009 model and was interested in it. Turns out new Corolla landed about same time as a 2009 model. 09 - 13 , 5 year cycle.

Tideland Prius likes this.
  9. goldfinger

goldfinger Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I can corroborate all the bad handling comments at least as they relate to gen 2. My 2005 fells like a minivan if there is a good crosswind.

I recently replaced my rear coils and shocks due to a broken coil. Had the dealer put in stock components, but the car drives like new maybe even better. Goes to show you how important rear suspension is.

I can easily believe the trailing link rear suspension rumors. I've driven cars with trailing link and they feel very stable in crosswinds. If Toyota doesn't pick up the game people are going to start looking at a small sporty diesels and other hybrid or electric cars.

10. Mr.Electric

Mr.Electric Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have installed new struts on numerous gen 2 Prius customer cars. Even basic kyb struts make a noticeable difference. The customers are satisfied because the handling, road manners improve and there is no mpg penalty. We added an aftermarket frame stiffener to one prius and I did not really feel any improvement after. Tires and wheels will make the biggest change, then struts, then other stuff. If you really want to improve the handling start with the tires and wheels. Be prepared to loose 15% or more fuel economy if you choose the ultimate handling oriented tire and wheel.

11. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Thanks!! Was this the generation that Toyota delayed because they thought it wasn't competitive enough?

12. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

o_O I do not know.

13. Felt

Felt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Forgive me ... a little Toyota Hybrid System expression of appreciation

Several post past, mention was made that I am amid a 7000 plus mile road trip. It has been a delight, and my G3 (IV) has performed flawlessly. Better than 52 mpg overall; quiet, and comfortable. A great trip!!!

In West Virginia (rolling hills, power up steep hills, coast down steep hills) the Hybrid System proved it's engineering magic. Cruise control on (73 mph) .... the ICE would rev up, and assume the power responsibilities going up the grade, but the CVT maintained a perfectly smooth power transfer. The HSI would reveal full power, and the ECO light would go out. Yes, the average MPG would take a hit. Then when cresting the hill, the power would back-off, the ECO light would come on, and the CVT would maintain a constant speed moving from full power to coasting down hill. Coasting down the grade, the ICE is off, and the MPG starts to increase. The HS in conjunction with the CVT .... is an absolute engineering marvel.

I just hope that Toyota can maintain/improve upon their creation in the G4.

BTW .... In the entire trip, I have seen one Volt on the Interstate. I can't help but appreciate the Prius system. I acknowledge the Volt is a great commuter car, but the Prius is a wonderful vehicle for the multi-task (city, highway) driving.

14. Felt

Felt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Another experience.

Today, we arrived in Wyoming. We had a 44 mph straign-on headwind, with gust to 50 mph. Plus, a driving mix of rain, sleet and snow (you gotta love Wyoming). My mileage dropped to 34 mpg. OUCH!!

15. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    A lot of us already have. :)

That being said, the Prius handles pretty well once upgraded to 17" wheels, decent LRR tires and lowering springs. My biggest complaint has to do with a reduction in ride comfort once these mods are installed.

16. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    +1 for ride comfort.

17. crewdog

crewdog Acting Ensign Prius Prime

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
  18. cmth

cmth Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Actually have you ever wondered whether we will ever be satisfied with the design of the Prius. I say this because before getting my Gen 3, I used to own a Nissan Almera which was nowhere as good as the Prius Gen 3 at handling. You could say I was one of those drivers who didn't really bother pushing a car to its limits yet I somehow did enjoy driving. Then one fine day I went to the dealers to test drive the Prius Gen 3 and the demonstrator also showed how well this car handled and I was completely baffled. How could a car that can deliver 70+ mpg be this fast and stable I thought. Needless to say, a month later I was the proud owner of a Prius Gen 3. And this is when it all changed. I started to drive the Prius hard, took corners fast and challenged other drivers at color lights. I can quite honestly say that this car has made me a boy racer.

The morale of the story... no matter how good the Prius is and will become, I think we will always compare it to another car and say its not up to the mark. What we don't realize is that the Prius Gen 3 is a fantastic car to drive even today - nearly 5 years on. Having said that, I too wish Gen 4 will be better at handling, and I wouldn't like to compromise so it will need to be better at everything, it will need to be a class leader overall - Prius engineers certainly have a tough challenge ahead, I am sure they will deliver.

19. priusplusowner

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius+ MPV
    Model:
    N/A
    More and more sites mention speculations on the Gen IV arriving as 2015 Model Year in 2014. Most of those mentioning arrival in 2014 also speculate that the reveal will take place as early as jan 2014 on the NAIAS.

20. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Not sure where they got that info. You know, if the next Gen Prius will go on sale in Spring of 2015 as a 2016 model, just as it did in Spring of 2009 as a 2010 model, it is about 18 months away from now!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.