1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

4th generation coming 2015!

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by edmcohen, Nov 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Felt

Felt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Several interesting comments about the insignificance of appearance. Makes me wonder what their wives look like if looks is a non-factor. (LOL)

cbcdesign, cwerdna, telmo744 and 2 others like this.
  2. Skateruk

Skateruk Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Felt - you make a very interesting point, although I wouldn't trade mine in........ but then again, maybe for IV Gen Prius! lol

3. GasperG

GasperG Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Battery pack can be put under the rear seat, enough room there in Prius C, Yaris or Auris. To think about it, it would be odd if the battery would would be in tha same place as today in Prius.

4. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Aren't looks what art is all about? People like to know that someone or some team spent a great deal of time crafting the shape of a car. People like it when a movie star or their stylist spent a lot of time fixing them up to look 'beautiful'.

When you don't know someone, their looks and first impressions are all one has to go on. Sure, it's not good to be obsessed over looks, but let's face it, people notice attractive or 'good looking' things or people all the time.

I'd repeat what has been said about people who claim looks don't or shouldn't matter, but it's kinda harsh.

5. Invisi8

Invisi8 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    So after 91 pages of comments, at this point we can summize that we don't know for sure that this thread's title is accurate, and that the 4th generation will be coming in 2015, correct?

I have tried to follow the postings and keep differentiated what is guesstimation, and what is fact; but it's becoming increasingly difficult after so many pages.

I hope what I'm about to ask won't sound like a jerkish thing to say, because it's truly not intended to be. But can we get someone to start a new thread (not under an unconfirmed/fictious title) with all the ACTUAL factual information or at least links of what we DO know?

I'm just as interested in the speculation and wish lists and all that stuff too, but it sure would be nice to seperate the fact from the fiction..

surfinjoe likes this.
  6. Felt

Felt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    invisi8 - First, you can start a new thread if you like.

Incidentally, I completely agree with you. This thread has wondered all over the place, and there have been many tangents, often having nothing to do with the subject of the thread.

Regrettably, no one seems to know anything about the G4. The quotes from Toyota seem to be contradictory. I am not sure that even Toyota knows where this is going. Apparently, the new technology is not ready, and it may be that Toyota does not know when it will be. There have been artist depictions, that range from absolutely hideous to very attractive. (that is for those that enjoy beautiful things). Diane has alluded to having some knowledge, but she is not revealing anything ..... I suppose appropriately.

I received my new Consumer Report Saturday, and CR really faults the 2014 Scion, to the extent that they cannot recommend it. I suppose that Toyota wants to get the new Prius right, and until such time as the design "comes together" they do not want to create excitement that might be followed by disappointment.

I have said, and will repeat ... If the new hybrid technology is not ready, and Toyota does not know when it will be, I'd release the 2015 with new sheet metal, (which is becoming stale and dated) with the existing hybrid system, and update the hybrid system when it is ready. After all, no other manufacturer has been able to match 51 mpg except in all electric vehicles with limited range. Just my opinion.

Invisi8 likes this.
  7. Johnprius

Johnprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
  8. CdotK

CdotK Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two

Looks less aerodynamic.. which would equal less MPG... interesting pic never the less!

Felt likes this.
  9. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    The pic is a fantasy, and the article well over a year old.
    Actually, it IS the article that started this thread;)
    I look forward to seeing something from Toyota, rather than some third party releasing an image drawn by a different third party.

Felt likes this.
  10. Invisi8

Invisi8 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for the reply Felt. I know that I can start a new thread, but I guess I was hoping someone more driven (pun intended?) than myself would start the thread and link to, (or at least summarize) all the semi-credible information that is currently available on G4.

That's definitely interesting about CR and the Scion.

Felt likes this.
  11. 4EVsHybrids

4EVsHybrids Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Beauty has always been in the eye of the beholder. The 3rd gen prius, in my opinion is beautiful as in form and function. Gas Station Owners, Owners of Vehicles that get less than 30 MPG CITY, and Owners of any kind of Smelly Diesels find the Prius downright ugly. The Dealer told me that in her experience very few people go back to regular cars. EVs probably are the upgrade path for most Prius owners.

I couldn't wait for the 4th Gen Prius, so I got a 2014 3rd gen prius. I noticed subtle improvements from the 2011 to the 2014. Probably because all the tricks I learned on the 2011,I applied to the 2014.

12. cmth

cmth Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I too have been very desperate for more information about Prius Gen 4 and in the past I have questioned why we have not had reliable information directly from Toyota. But now I am beginning to think this is a carefully controlled release of information that we are looking at. Too much details now will & can not be in the best interest of Toyota whichever way you look at it.

The trickle of information coming out for the Prius Gen4 seem to paint a picture of a car that would be more than just the average increment we have seen so far over the previous generations.

13. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    We've been through this 3 times already.... back in 2000, then 2003, then 2009. Why mess with a winning formula?

It's interesting how vivid those other rollouts still are. I remember each so clearly. Each was totally worth the wait too.

markabele likes this.
  14. bestmapman

bestmapman 04, 07 ,08, 09, 10, 16, 21 Prime

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Hi John,

I am sure you will be one on the first in line like me for the 4th gen.

15. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Looks are important when you'll be mixing your gene and passing down the generations.

I doubt anyone here have sex with their cars and have kids. Yet, many people have opinions about which car is sexy or not.

To me, Prius looks cool because it is aerodynamic. The entire car is state of the art.

16. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    My 2012 Prius PHV was in the very first delivery load to the US. Being that fortunate again isn't likely. But it would be nice to be somewhere in the first line of fire. (y)

17. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    You must not be doing it right. My PiP gave birth to a Smart car last month.

usbseawolf2000 likes this.
  18. DtEW

DtEW Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two

Unless you're gas-powered... I think your PiP has been steppin'-out on you, man. You might need to have a serious talk with her.

usbseawolf2000 and markabele like this.
  19. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Depends what I just ate.

20. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I hear your frustration.

But, keep in mind even the last generation Honda Civic lasted 6 model years. It was introduced for MY 2006 and ran unchanged through MY 2011. 6,7,8,9,10,11 .... that's 6 model years the same. Then came the all new 2012 Civic.

Rav4 ran 7 model years unchanged 2006,7,8 ,9,10,11 .... and 2012 !! Then came the all new Rav 4 for MY 2013.

So, Felt, just hang in there. Prius liftback has recently started its 5th model year. If you're lucky, there will be a short 6th model year, then an all new one, or maybe an all new one in the 6th year.

Industry secrets are just that. Toyota doesn't want to leak too much info for competitors. For all we know, Honda may just be bringing Fit Hybrid here or maybe an all new Insight Hybrid in 2 years with that new hybrid system. I'm sure Toyota knows hybrid competition is really heating up and they need to bring an A game with new Prius or lose market share. They lost market share for Jan. 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.