1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

4th generation coming 2015!

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by edmcohen, Nov 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Felt

Felt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    To answer your question .... I am undecided until such time as I see what is offered. A limited range plug-in does little for me in my circumstances. Distances are long in the west .... my family lives 60 miles (each way). I own property 375 miles away that I must visit fairly frequently, and each year, I drive across the country. The regular Prius has been "just right" for my circumstances. That is why the Volt did not fit my niche. (a significant milage drop once the battery is depleted and the ICE starts).

That does not say, however, that frequently, I drive less than 20 miles to the grocery, the dentist, or out to eat. Obviously, a PIP (or the Volt) would be ideal in those situations. But, while useful in those circumstances, such instances of short trips are negligible in my overall 89,000 total miles on the odometer.

But, the idea of parking atop a charging pad in the garage has really caught my interest.
    If all of the Prius long distances attributes were to remain the same, and I could charge and make the short trip on electricity with no additional effort, that would interest me greatly, and I would be willing to pay a modest increase price for the convenience. It is not that I am that lazy, but the G3 is absolutely a marvel ..... it does everything by itself. No planning required; no looking for charging stations, no plugging and unplugging .... just put gas in it and go.

So .... I am anxious to see what the G4 has to offer.

2. Ashlem

Ashlem Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    The wireless charging intrigues me a little bit. If it's available on the next PiP, and it's available in my area, and doesn't cost another arm on top of the leg, then I might get that.

Otherwise I'm looking forward to seeing what the Gen IV is like, and will probably get that, and sell my c to my brother.

Felt likes this.
  3. cmth

cmth Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Anyone heard about the VW Golf GTE - Apparently it will do 188mpg combined, 0-62 7.6sec & 35g/km of CO2 and is expected to cost around £28K

VW Golf GTE plug-in hybrid revealed - Telegraph

It is only slightly more expensive that a Plug-in Prius but those figures are impressive almost unbelievable considering VW is new to the hybrid game. Personally, I am not a fan of the VW Golf car design but I wouldn't mind having a car that can do 188 mpg with casual driving and 0-62 in 7.6 sec when I need it to.

I am sure there must be a catch :)

4. GasperG

GasperG Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think everyone here heard about it, because it's on the front page in the news section of PriusChat ;)
    VW Golf GTE | PriusChat

5. vinnie97

vinnie97 Whatever Works

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I am not sure I would trade in the reliability of Toyota for VW, even for a vehicle with that kind of mpg (and aren't North American values always lower due to different measuring standards? What is the EU mpg rating of the Prius plug-in?).

6. GasperG

GasperG Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    EU rating is gas only, used electricity is not calculated like in US (MPGe). It's basicly a number to measure CO2 tax and it has little to do with real world number. Prius Plug-in is rated 2.1 l/100 km, Ampera/Volt is rated 1.2 l/100 km, there was a formula somwhere on the net how the final number is calculated, but in general the greater the EV range the smaller the number, gas consumption alone has a very little weight if the range is high.

7. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yes, those are gas consumption, not fuel economy.

For vehicle that uses two fuels, that means two different things. For a regular gas powered car (or even a hybrid that only uses gas), the two terms means the same.

8. cmth

cmth Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I missed that one, these days I am so eager to hear any sort of news about Prius G4 that I only visit this section of the forum :)

9. Felt

Felt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I see that Honda will cease production of the hybrid Insight. Too bad, competition makes one stronger and "sharper."

10. inferno

inferno Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Where do you see that?

They've done this before too..1st gen Insight they just took off the market. They are taking the 2nd gen off too?

Maybe in 4 years they'll released the 3rd gen...

11. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This is being reported on Foxnews. Insight will end production in March

12. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sorry I read it too quickly, it just send will end production this month

13. inferno

inferno Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
  14. Felt

Felt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I for one just hope that whenever it arrives on our shore it does not look like the image depicted in the Motor Trend article. Just my opinion.

15. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    When has any rendering or even concept model ever looked like what made out to production?

Felt and markabele like this.
  16. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    The prototype Volt.
    [​IMG]

17. Felt

Felt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I agree ..... that knowledge keeps me "in the game." If I thought the G4 would look like the Motor Trend depiction ... my interest in my next ride would be elsewhere.

18. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Motor Trend made that depiction based on rumor Toyota would break the smooth line up the hood and windshield. I can think of a car that has an angle at base of windshield / top of hood and somewhat of a Kammback rear end .....

Tesla Model S :eek:

Will 4th gen Prius have some resemblance to Tesla Model S ?? Hmmmmm

Felt likes this.
  19. Felt

Felt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    cycledrum - Thank you for your post. Obviously, the Tesla is not the only vehicle with the "break in the smooth line" from the hood to the windshield, in fact far more vehicle do, than don't, and most are very attractive vehicles.

My comment pertained more to the overall Motor Trend depiction .... like the sloping rear cabin with the diminishing miniature rear windows. Butt ugly (in my opinion). I just feel the drawing is clumsy at best, and while I have no fear the G4 will bear any resemblance to the drawing, if it did, I would not be purchasing one. That is all that I am saying.

I am much more inclined to believe that Toyota will not completely abandon the current Prius shape. There have been several, really attractive depictions that retain the shape .... including the NS4 I might add, It has become an icon, and with Honda dropping the Insight, it will remain alone with that distinctive shape. BTW, I (think) I saw a Tesla on the road recently. I cannot be certain, because it's profile is somewhat like many others. My point is, the Prius is unmistakable. I think Toyota will retain at least some of that character. Obviously .... just an opinion.

Time will tell. It will be interesting.

20. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That Motor Trend depiction of next Prius is awful I agree. Don't worry, 4th gen won't look much like that.

btw, strange things in the Edmunds chart of redesigns. Says Prius v and Prius c will also be redesigns as well as regular Prius by 'late 2014'. Prius v came out in Fall of 2011 and Prius c the next Spring, only 2 years ago.

I don't think Toyota redesigns cars that have only been out 2 1/2 years and less than 2 years. Prius hatchback is due for a full redesign. Prius v and Prius c are not.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.