$5,000 battery replacement quote from dealer....

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by V Collens, Jun 9, 2019.

1. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks @SFO I'm on it... Will post a follow up summary and hopefully we can all get a good laugh at how low my repair price was compared to the stealership price.

SFO likes this.
  2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  3. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Not sure about those links... Wire frame? That doesn't make sense? Based on wacky sensor readings I'm thinking corrosion damage to wires in voltage sensing harness and best price on a new one of those on ebay is this NEW TOYOTA PRIUS BATTERY WIRE SENSING HARNESS 82165-47040 OEM 04 05 06 07 08 09 | eBay

Please clarify if I've misunderstood your terminology/part?

4. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Camper,

The wire frame #2 I posted a link to is the sensor harness. It has all the sensor tabs, wires, ecu plug and the busbars already assembled in the orange plastic. It's a complete harness, (you'll love it and never go back to used ones) with the exception it does not have the heavy orange long and short cables that attach to the main relays.. Those are separate items to order.

The ebay listing is exactly what we're talking about. Look at the label on the plastic bag, it says wire frame #2. The ebay listing is a bit more expensive, but you may get it quicker.

5. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring

Nope, that's not me. You'll be good to go if you have that harness on standby. You'll just need to add the long and short heavy orange cables to it. It has everything else already.

I've only done one battery locally, and that was for a co-worker friend. I built a battery using some 2011 modules, she and her husband drove over in two cars and left hers at my house. They ran some errands for a couple hours and returned with a check in hand. All the others I've done have been 80+ miles away. I ask my self all the time why it is that no one in Columbia can have a bad battery. Maybe I need to throw an ad on Craigs List. o_O

PriusCamper likes this.
  6. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
  7. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    He could try this site also to see how much the local dealers are charging.

Toyota Parts Center Online | Genuine Toyota Parts & Accessories

You would still have to pay sales tax but you can select pickup at counter to save on shipping.

SFO likes this.
  8. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Those results appeared after searching for "82165-47040". The linked text/terminology was from each website.

Those linked parts could be something else, though seems unlikely if the PN is the same.

9. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, but is that just the frame that holds the wires, or does it come with all the wires too? Seeing as it's a part sold by a dealership, I'm guessing it's just the plastic frame and not the wires or bus bars...

10. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Have faith young grasshopper. Wire frame #2 has all that..the orange plastic frame, shiny new busbars and beautiful new sensor wires and ecu plug. Already assembled and ready to go...just add heavy orange power cables.

PriusCamper and Skibob like this.
  11. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for clarification... that's a great price in that case... but the graphic is the opposite of that... It's not that color and there's no sign of wires.

12. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If anyone here knows if it’s the correct part I would put my money on TMR-JWAP. The guy rebuilds battery’s for fun (and some profit).

Raytheeagle and jerrymildred like this.