1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

5,000+ Mile Camping Overlanding Trip Starting Today! Follow me on Twitter for updates

Discussion in 'Living Life in a Prius' started by Priusjames, Sep 15, 2021.

1. Priusjames

Priusjames Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Good Morning! I’m leaving this morning on a double cross-country trip that will be at least 5,000 miles by the time I get back in October sometime.

I’ll be posting and streaming to my Twitter (@thepriusjames) and YouTube (priusjames) accounts as I go…both about the trip itself and about the work and modifications I’ve done to the car. Happy to answer questions, probably will be checking/posting to Twitter most often …but we’ll see how my time management skills balance with life enjoyment and take it from there.

There are some apps I’m using to help find places to sleep. In no particular order, These are my go-to’s:
    FreeRoam
    IOverlander
    Gaia
    Avenza
    InRoute

I have the America The Beautiful annual pass, allowing ‘dispersed camping’ on BLM and USFS lands and free day-use of most/many camping/recreational facilities…even free camping at developed sites in some parks. Will be posting success/failures trying to use the pass.

Feel free to ask questions/comment on the Twitter feed for fastest results (and to build followers to the account I set up for the trip!) 199F5A1A-3B5C-4C4E-865D-028EF3AD092A.jpeg 24D9F656-7E79-47B8-B795-A3E6B6C608A0.jpeg E7607047-05D0-4F64-8055-627936E364C2.jpeg 7C1F28AB-6B94-4B27-BD10-774F5E9A06B2.jpeg
    James

Meg&Bear likes this.
  2. Meg&Bear

Meg&Bear Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What inspired you to pursue these adventures?

I’ve been planning similar but intend to be gone much longer in my 2006 Highlander Hybrid! I also will have the benefit of my kitty copilot lol
    Despite some setbacks, which I’m still processing lol, I plan to leave late winter i.e. January or February and head south in CA where it’s still relatively warm in the this hemisphere during the rotation :) I too will be seeking remote camping and hopefully areas not polluted by the daily constant of artificial noise and light!

Safe travels fellow hybridian nature seeker ;)