1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

5/32 left with only 26k miles on OEM Michelin Energy Saver A/S tires

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by gafortiby, Oct 5, 2016.

1. gafortiby

gafortiby Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    My 2012 Prius v two has about 26k miles on it as of Oct 2016.

I bought it used, but as far as I can tell, the tires are OEM original Michelin Energy Saver A/S produced in 2011.

Current treads are 6/32", 5/32", 5/32", 3/32". YES one of them is just slightly above 3/32". Each tire looks evenly worn within a tire with no feathering or cupping or any odd wear. I'll have to pull them off to be really sure.

However, the prior owner must have lived on a gravel road because the treads have small chunks of rubber missing all over the place like it spent a lot of time driving on sharp rocks or metal ramps. I know the guy lived on the western slopes of the Rocky Mountains because of service records.

It begs a few questions...
    1. Is this normal wear for Michelin Energy Saver A/S with 26000 miles? I would have expected more treads left. They start 9.5/32" new.
    2. What can I expect after another 10K miles? 3/32", 2/32", 2/32", 0/32"?
    3. In one month I am switching to Snow tires. Since one of them is 3/32 I may toss them all when I switch to snows instead of keeping them for Spring use.
    Alignment never done on car, I will get it done when car goes in for winter tire changeover. The car records say the tires were rotated once a year (toyota care) but obviously something's wrong to make one 3/32 and one 6/32. I hope it's not a bad wheel bearing. :D

2. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    The hub of an offending corner (wheel bearing or dragging brake) would be much hotter to the touch than the rest.

3. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I drive a lot of gravel/dirt/mud.

I feel lucky if I get 30K out of any tire. Usually, it is more like 24K.

Of course, my roads aren't so bad that there are chunks out of the tires. What's the treadwear/mileage warranty on it? Around 60K?

If so, I would say it is just about where it should be, more or less.

As for the uneven wearing. I would guess that in those conditions, one or more tires has been replaced.

look at the date codes on the sidewalls. I bet they don't all match.

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
  5. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The car only has 26K miles....so I'd replace the OEM tires after you take off the snows whenever it thaws out.

I'd also check the brake hardware for corrosion since you live where people use snow tires, and you already said that you're going to have the alignment checked.
    You bought the car used, so I'd look for previous body damage from an accident, incident, student driver, Youtube stunt video, etc...

Yeah....I know.
    Everybody uses Carfax these days, and it's pretty good.........until it isn't.
    The thing is there are instances where insurance companies are not involved in the post-collision cleanup such as dealer demo units (gasp! :eek: ), commercial use vehicles, body shop owners flipping mildly damaged cars, and people who have minor accidents that cash flow the repair to avoid getting doinked over by the insurance company,

Other people have ramp strikes, curb love, and ditch clean-outs that will also affect a car's geometry without generating much in the way of carfax buzz.
    Yes.
    It's shocking that thousands of dollars of resale value would lure nice people into doing not nice things, but there you have it.

Mainly?
    I wouldn't worry much about it after verifying that there's nothing hinky with the alignment.
    If you live somewhere where they use snow tires, then you're going to be replacing the car when it rusts out from underneath you anyway looooooong before the Prius exhibits symptoms from a misspent youth.

Good Luck!!

6. Coast Cruiser

Coast Cruiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    All the articles I read says the auto company specifies a softer rubber compound be made for the OEM tires, to give the feeling of a better ride. And a softer rubber does not last as long. I think your mileage is pretty normal for OEM tires. I never got better than 25K or so.

But of course, some guy is going to reply to this thread and tell us how he got 65,000 out of his OEM's. ;)

7. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    My Michelins on my '12 v are very healthy after 33k miles. They have been rotated frequently, run at plus 3 PSI but 99% normal paved road driving with the very occasional excursion into a long gravel driveway in the mountains. I will replace them for age before they wear out.

8. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's true for most cars, but cars that are sold as fuel sippers (Volt, Prius, Leaf, etc....) usually use harder rubber since they're more efficient.

9. gafortiby

gafortiby Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Colorado does have adverse weather, but the DOT here never use salt on the roads and the atmospheric humidity here is ridiculously low. So Colorado cars are generally rust free, and anytime manufacturers do corrosion/rust based recalls Colorado is not included. Lots of old hot rods and antique cars can be found here with zero rust on them.

But, yes I do know the dangers of small accidents and I do know that the car ran over a deer at some point. So actually it would not be surprising for the rear right wheel bearing to be bad... I hit a curb with my previous car and had to get my rear right wheel bearing replaced. On that previous car, time for wheel defect to become evident after collision was 6 months 6000 miles.
    Deer and cables under the car mystery | PriusChat

10. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Have no idea where they got the figure, since there is no direct attribution to a reference source, but Wikipedia says that:

Tire wear increases by 40–50% on gravel roads

Just anecdotally though, my experience seems to support that.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  11. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I was only able to get 32K miles out of my OEM Yokohama Avid's. The OEM tires very seldom get the mileage that you get when you buy from tire dealers. I rotated and balanced every 5K miles and had even tread wear.

My current set of Michelin EnergySaver A/S are well on the way to at least the 60,000 mile warranty, if not more.

12. gafortiby

gafortiby Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for everyone's feedback! I noticed any topic with TIRES gets numerous responses.

So this looks like normal tire wear, with the possible exception of the 3/32 tire. I'll probably ride the OEMs as much as I can this fall, switch to winter tires and then new all-seasons for the Spring. Car is still getting 47MPG and behaving normal over 100 mile drives, so I do not suspect dragging brakes. I will try the temperature check next time i have a long drive, and plan to check the pads at the winter tire changeover.

I'm thinking about going with something else in the Spring, something much stickier since I don't care about MPGs.

jdcollins5 likes this.
  13. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Do you know where that tire was, what corner of the car? If no, and just to verify, pick up a tread depth gauge (they're readily available, around $2~5) and see for yourself. Then raise that corner, even just with the scissor jack. If it's a rear, check that's near free-spinning with parking brake off. And either front or rear, just turn and listen. And grab at 3 and 9 oclock, push-pull, see if you can sense any play.

14. Kenny94945

Kenny94945 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    Well IMO, at least with race tires, a chunk missing is usually a tire pressure issue.
    Chunks could also be a tire defect.

Is the 3/32 the power tire...that would make sense to me.

High speed (90 mph) would also wear the tires.

As you bought used, there is no traceable record as to tire usage or conditions.

Then as for tire life remaining, you 10K guess seems good to me.
    Just monitor, check hubs for heat as suggested above and have fun.

All those comments FWIW.

15. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Hmm yeah, maybe the extra worn tire ran at lowish pressure with a slow leak for protracted time?

16. gafortiby

gafortiby Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    When i bought the car they were 40PSI all around. hard to tell if it was different before.
    The 3/32 is currently mounted rear right. however i have no idea where it was mounted before the tire rotation service just 2000 miles prior to my ownership.--my only educated guess is it was not the rear right before the rotation, and most likely front right. or front left.

I'll check the wheels when I get a chance. Thanks!

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  17. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Its an open question whether the OEM ES-AS is the same tire as the retail version. There's certainly some anectotal evidence that it is not. Neither is expected to get as good of tread life as a premium touring tire. 50K might be the outside of the expectation on the retail tire. Looks like yours have been subjected to abuse.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the ES-AS tire to anyone who wants max MPG, but they will not offer max traction or tread life. Those things are mutually exclusive. That said, the retail ES-AS is a better tire in almost all respects than any of the OEM tires.

FWIW I put about 20K on a set on my v and they still had about 50% tread. Ran at 40psi

18. gafortiby

gafortiby Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Interesting. I will have to take pictures of my OEM tires. I wonder if any of the markings will be different.

19. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    I case you missed my edit:
    FWIW I put about 20K on a set on my v and they still had about 50% tread. Ran at 40psi

I wouldn't worry much about your car. All the tires are showing advanced wear so just deal with that and move on.

Coast Cruiser likes this.
  20. Coast Cruiser

Coast Cruiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Agreed.

Let's move on, and discuss more important things, like:

"What items do we keep in our glove box???" :ROFLMAO:

and

"In which cup holder do you place your water bottle? Forward, rear, or door???" :confused::sleep: