1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

(5) beta testers sought for new technology

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Pedal Logic, Dec 7, 2016.

1. 04priusnow

04priusnow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    received shipping confirmation.. cant wait

Pixel XL ?

Raytheeagle likes this.
  2. hackenfort

hackenfort Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Filled up last night, display was a little optimistic but here is the numbers:

264 miles all highway 4.5 gallons. 58.6 mpg.

Best highway milage I've had. That you smart pedal

Pedal Logic and Raytheeagle like this.
  3. 04priusnow

04priusnow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    setting used?

Pixel XL ?

4. Pedal Logic

Pedal Logic Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi Raytheeagle,

Tomorrow on your commute home sound good?

Marc

Raytheeagle likes this.
  5. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Sounds good(y).

I'll text you tomorrow when I am leaving. Should be around 5.

Will you be with Attila in the souped up Charger this time:whistle:.

6. Pedal Logic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi Tande,

Sure thing. Here's how the modes work, along with a recap of our product schema:

In the multi-mode devices, the least aggressive is mode 1 and the most aggressive is X, which is a "3" in the case of the advanced, and a "5" for the Extremis.

The differences between the modes are not arithmetic or linear, by which I mean to say that the difference between modes 1 and 2 is not (for example) the same difference as between modes 3 and 4.

Underneath the hood, each mode is expressed through a set of variables that we define (or refine) after getting results from this group as well as other testers with different make/model vehicles.

We usually set the default to mode 3 in Extremis devices and mode 2 in the Advanced series. Experientially, our goal in both cases is for the default mode to generate little or no observable difference in vehicle behavior by the driver or, if it's detectable, then the driver prefers the change.

Higher, more aggressive modes generally, but not always, produce better mileage. Surprisingly, lower modes sometimes do that as well. For example, I think Mode 2 on the Extremis does better for the Gen3 Prius than the default Mode 3.

Incidentally, the reason that higher modes don't always produce better mileage (i.e., why we didn't just ship a single-mode device set to 11) is that drivers consciously or unconsciously will often react to over-correction by pressing the accelerator pedal more.

Because we don't publish the variables we use for each mode (we consider them proprietary) I may not have given you as much information as you wanted--or maybe I have. Please let me know. And if it turns out that you'd like additional detail, I'll see what I can do.

Best,
    Marc

swapper and Raytheeagle like this.
  7. Tande

Tande Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Much Better!.......Thank You sooo much.....(y)

Raytheeagle likes this.
  8. dricher

dricher Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Is the discount still available. I've been trying since early June w/ no luck.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

9. 04priusnow

04priusnow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    did you try the discount code in checkout? only works for the advance model.. "PRIUSCHAT" without the quotes is the code.

Pixel XL ?

10. Pedal Logic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Sorry, it'll likely be just me.

I'm starting to feel that Attila is the popular one. Marsha, Marsha, Marsha...

Raytheeagle likes this.
  11. Pedal Logic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi richer,

We just turned the promo code off this last Friday after selling out of our inventory. We have another order in production to fulfill anticipated orders from our upcoming Kickstarter campaign. If you want to PM me with your email address, I can send a note when the campaign goes live.

If you'll send me a note after placing an order for Smartpedal Advanced during the campaign, I'll upgrade it to the Extremis. Sound good?

Marc

12. daiske99

daiske99 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So do the beta testers receive the advanced or extremis unit?

13. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Someone has to be the smart one with good looks though to balance out the popular one;).

See you this afternoon (y).

14. dricher

dricher Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
  15. Pedal Logic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    We're sending Extremis with our compliments.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  16. 04priusnow

04priusnow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    received today. took about 30 seconds to install. not sure why people are unbolting the pedal.. i just reached under and depressed clip. and unplugged pedal.. inserted the smart pedal in-between.. done. also did the calibration

Pixel XL ?

saltdiscus likes this.
  17. Pedal Logic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi 04priusnow,

Yep. It's pretty simple to do, especially on the Prius.

For those about to do this for the first time, the only thing to watch for is the underdash panel made of black plastic, which slightly obscures the top of the pedal. The panel has a flange about the length and shape of a finger that protrudes from the right edge. The flange protrudes into a square hollow receptacle to hold the panel's right edge in place.

With just a little bit of pressure, this protrusion can be moved and then there is loads of room. Just make sure to reinstall it in the proper place (it's obvious) or you'll hear your dash panel rattling. Nothing dangerous about that though as the rest of the panel is held in place by screws. Just to be absolutely clear: you don't need to remove these screws or the panel as a whole.

The whole operation should be about 1-5 mins. Ten minutes if you're feeling anxious. 20 minutes if family is watching over your shoulder.

Marc

swapper likes this.
  18. digbywombles

digbywombles Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok, so I got my unit yesterday (I'm in UK), plugged it in last night and used it today on a return trip of 170 miles. When I started out this morning, I'd forgotten that I'd installed it and immediately noticed that there was a delay in the response of the accelerator, almost like it was attached by elastic. The drive is a mix of London roads, motorway and country lanes and I think most of my MPG was lost in the town section of the route on the start offs from junctions etc as I over-compensated for the delay on the pedal.

On the way back I had become more used to it, but I'm not sure I'm completely comfortable with the effect it has on the pedal response. MPG on the way home was much better than on the way there, and possibly better than average, although it's a bit soon to tell.

Marc, which mode is the default, and which would you recommend for reducing the delay in the pedal response?

Thanks

Dave

19. Pedal Logic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi Dave,

First thing: I'm glad your unit arrived and that you installed successfully. Did you perform the one-time calibration after installation? If not, please press pedal to metal once with the car powered up--just a fraction of a second will do. You should have the car in ACC mode instead of with the engine off in order not to waste fuel (and be safer).

In answer to your question, the default is mode 3 of the five modes. I think the better choice for your particular Prius (same as mine) is mode 2. To switch modes:

1. Power down car in flat area, with parking brake on. Let sit for 3 mins.
    2. Turn on ACC which, just to be clear, means pressing the start button twice without pressing on the brake.
    3. Press pedal fully to floor and hold for sixty seconds.
    4. After 60 seconds, release the pedal. (I usually wait until 70 in case I miscount...) You now have a 10-second window to set the new mode.
    5. To set it to mode 2, press the pedal _twice_ fully to the floor before fully releasing.
    5. After 10 second window closes, you'll see a series of flashes. Smartpedal will be in mode 2 going forward.

This should tighten up the response you're noticing. Please let me know how it goes.

Best,
    Marc

Raytheeagle likes this.
  20. digbywombles

digbywombles Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the info. I did the calibration when I installed it, and I'll give mode 2 a try later on and report back.

Thanks

Dave

Raytheeagle likes this.