1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

5 Seat Prime finally arrives

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by civicdriver06, Mar 7, 2019.

1. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Being an active participant is not necessary. In fact, lurking is often more fruitful.

LycosLMCh likes this.
  2. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    No, we don't, but government actions do influence sales and adoption rates. In the case of negative reinforcement, a company's actions can't be taken as an indication of plans for other markets. A car company announcing the release of an EV in California doesn't mean the model will be offered to the rest of the country, for instance.

It is a thread discussing the Prime getting a fifth seat; the Volt coming up was likely to occur. You're the one that went from five seats to vehicles for family transport(quote below), and named a plug in Corolla as be better for that purpose than a compact hatchback.

I pointed out that the new Corolla shrunk, and even has less space than the Volt. That would make it no longer suitable for family transport by your definition.

Your response was to list only the interior measurements in which it beats the Volt, and essentially call me a liar.
    You aren't posting diversions here? Did someone else bring up headroom? And where can one find the cargo space measurements posted for Toyotas?

Funny, what you just said I was wrong for doing, you just did.

Regardless, if the Volt is unsuitable as a family car because it is a compact, then the Corolla can't be suitable while being a compact car.
    Choosing not to sell plug ins in China, is choosing not to sell any cars there. FCA didn't seem happy about having to choose to sell the 500e in California.

Your posts here are the ones leading away from the main topic. Can you tell us in the Corolla or Levin PHEVs have a fifth seat, or have any other loss of interior space in comparison to the model without plug? How about where the PHEV Camry and Rav4 will mount the battery?

The 'stink' was the because the public's response no fifth seat and loss of cargo space was already known from other companies' pre-mainstream real-world studies. Even if Toyota ignores what and how their competition is going, they should have known from the negative response the Camry hybrid trunk space was getting, and how the no loss of passenger or cargo space was always seen as a plus to the PiP.

But it's a "fool's errand" when GM responds to customer feedback.:rolleyes:

3. kevin.c

kevin.c Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Guys chill out. It's almost as if everyone prefers a different tradeoff of legroom / cargo / fuel efficiency and we can all pick different cars based on those preferences…

Bob Comer and pghyndman like this.
  4. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    That's what happen every time diversification is brought up... and has been a very hot topic for the 5th seat.

Some people just plain don't want to deal with change.

HPrimeAdvanced likes this.
  5. LycosLMCh

LycosLMCh New Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius PHV
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Just ordered a 5 seat prius phv with the premium package. The premium version seems to have a 360 cam in addition to leather interior. Nothing else has changed according to my dealer but they still werent completely sure.

Cant wait though. Should arrive in August.

kevin.c, bisco, Sarge and 2 others like this.
  6. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    Congrats, Lycos! Very exciting. It sounds like you ordered it sight unseen? Have you seen any collaterals, photos or anything else around the 5-seat configuration (or even some sort of official documentation from Toyota, LOL). I looked at the Toyota Finland site and it shows the “Prius Plug In” with 4 seats...

Toyota Prius Plug-in. Aja kauemmas pelkällä sähköllä.

I am curious as I still see no official evidence online of this mysterious creature’s existence, and hope it was not just a (ill-informed/deceptive) dealer telling you what you want to hear to get the sale only to be disappointed with 4 seats when the vehicle arrives...

Also, is this a 2019 model? Was the 2019 model not previously released in your country, or is this a post-release change?

I hope this is an indication these same features may make it to North America next year...

Thanks...

kevin.c and Rob43 like this.
  7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Note in that Europe, model years are listed the same as calendar year. So a 2019 can both be a pre and post facelift Prime (or a 2016 Prius can both be the 3rd Gen and 4th Gen).

HPrimeAdvanced, LycosLMCh and Sarge like this.
  8. kevin.c

kevin.c Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Would be super helpful if someone found a press release / brochure / etc from Toyota. So far everything’s been secondhand and disagrees on the timing (May vs. August).

LycosLMCh and Sarge like this.
  9. LycosLMCh

LycosLMCh New Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius PHV
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Screenshot_20190330-091626_Drive.jpg

Sadly, this offer is all I have in addition to assurance from the head manager of Toyota Tammerauto car dealer here in Tampere. No pictures or brochures. Just the addition of 360 camera to the premium package in writing, see the attached picture. Sorry its in finnish, google translate sort of works if you want to read the whole offer.

The manager also confirmed that it isnt yet possible to build one with the online builder because it hasnt been officially published yet. They fixed up a preorder contract for me because actual orders/commissions can be made from 5.4. on. They also had to get permission from Toyota for that, can you imagine. Also, there is a price difference between the basic 4seat and 5seat but its just 500e - practically negligible.

I made sure to ask ten times whether the car is really the 2019 prius phv with 5 seats. I was first going to buy the 4 seat version but few days after my first visit and test drive, the dealer called and told me about the 5seat and suggested I waited for it rather than order the 4 seat right away. I found this forum a few days after when I was googling about the 5seater.

I'll post updates to this thread as I get more info. There's a good chance some brochures or newsletters will pop up on toyota websites during the next week or two. I'm anxious to see them too.

kevin.c and Sarge like this.
  10. LycosLMCh

LycosLMCh New Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius PHV
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced

Deception could always be the case but the dealer is very high profile here in Finland so I think it very unlikely. I also have a lot of familiar people working there and the dealer knows this so intentional deception is ruled out in my books. Also, the info on the 5seater was told to have come straight from Toyota as an insider heads up. That leaves misinformation and that could always be the case. If it turns out to be that, I know I will be very disappointed. Unfortunately I have no way of knowing. I will probably know better in a week or so.

The model I ordered is the newest prius phv model with the addition of 5th seat and 360 cam. Thats all I know/understand of the matter.

5 seats comes in all versions and premium package contains 360 cam.

I hope this answers your questions:)

11. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    Well, that does sound very re-assuring, thanks for the additional info. Congrats again on your new car. :)(y)

12. LycosLMCh

LycosLMCh New Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius PHV
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Yes it does, doesn't it. Either this is real or I just got duped incredibly bad. Hopefully the 5 seater gets released soon to the public. I waited just for a week or so before I could preorder and that was hard enough as it is, cant imagine waiting for two or three whole years like some could have, at least in theory. Didnt toyota suggest like 3 years ago that a 5seater was on its way or smthg?

Thank you very much. Can't wait :X3:

Edit: typos

Sarge likes this.
  13. HerbMPG

HerbMPG Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The middle seat in my 2006 (same as 2004) is much more roomy than that in my 2010 RAV4. And more roomy than many other cars we've been in. Now if the front seats are all the way back maybe it would be worse...

14. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    I had a 2006 as well before my 2014, and I always found the back seat adequate for 3 on the occasional time I used it, whether my wife was riding in the back with the the two kids, or two adults + 1 car seat. Sure it would not be ideal if you are a full time family of 5, but for the occasional need for a 5th passenger (or dog) it is fine, and that is why I would really prefer the extra versatility over a console. :)

15. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Some one at Toyota mentioned things could be moved around for a fifth upon the Prime/PHV reveal. Considering changes could have entailed new crash testing, this came out pretty quick, plus the car companies usually wait for the midcycle refresh for such big changes.

Is the solar roof available in your market?

LycosLMCh and kevin.c like this.
  16. kevin.c

kevin.c Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Photo on Toyota Europe website suggests that the solar roof is available: Toyota Prius Plug-in Hybrid Overview | Toyota Europe

I remember something about the solar charging hardware taking up the space that would be the middle seat. Maybe you're not allowed to pick both the solar roof and 5-seat options. If that's the case, maybe there isn't much repackaging work needed, just regulatory hurdles as you mentioned.

17. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The non-plugging Prius has its battery under the rear seat. The solar option for the Prime puts a, possibly the same, battery there. The issue that would exclude the solar roof and fifth seat together isn't space, but weight. And that weight could be more along the lines of, "we don't want all that weight together for reasons in the regulations, not because it isn't technically possible."

18. LycosLMCh

LycosLMCh New Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius PHV
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    kevin.c is correct, we have the solar as an option but I never had the intention of getting that one. Ergo, we never even had it under consideration and never talked about it, only the active. I have no idea whether the upgrade is offered for both or not.

Trollbait, that makes sense. I'm not too savvy on prius anatomy but as a layman I'd think omission of 5th seat in addition to the unavailability of the technological and premium packages with the solar would be a bit too brutal. I hope they find/have found a way.

On a side note. Personally, I'm having a hard time seeing the point buying a solar version in especially Finland. Three quarters of the year being essentially too dark to generate sensible amounts of charge and two thirds of that being too snowy, with every car roof covered after parking outside for few minutes. Maybe two or three really sunny days a summer when one might benefit having a solar panel. But yeah, you can get one if you like.

19. Blauer Glimmer

Blauer Glimmer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    My rear seat passengers love the space between & their own console to stash smaller objects that used to roll under the seats in my ‘09 Prius.

Prius from Dad and pghyndman like this.
  20. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I'm guessing with projected sales, Toyota took a one side fits all approach to the Prime equipment in Europe. The solar option may be worth it in the Mediterranean.

The upper trim Prii here don't have a spare tire because including it with the extra features would bump the car up a weight class for EPA testing, and Toyota couldn't use the more favorable MPG numbers for the lighter trim with smaller wheels on the window sticker.

kevin.c and LycosLMCh like this.