1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

50,000 mile service.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Steve terry, Mar 11, 2016.

1. Steve terry

Steve terry Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Called to get an appointment to have the oil changed. They asked me if I have done the 50,000 mile fuel injector cleaning yet. I asked how much it was and they said $149.00. I do not see it in the maintenance manual for 50,000 mile service. Has anyone had their fuel injectors cleaned yet. I had a bad experience once with a montero sport. Once I had injectors cleaned, it never ran smooth again. Even had injectors replaced.

2. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The fuel injection cleaning they will do is pouring some crap in your fuel tank...so pass.

Newtothewheels likes this.
  3. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Just another one of the stealership scams to separate you from your money. FI cleaning is a popular one. Water pumps are another.

4. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    what is the scam with WP?

5. Steve terry

Steve terry Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    They just asked me if I wanted the ethonal cleaner added to my gas tank. Also I use a carbon cabin filter and they said it needed replaced. Plus a few other things I was not paying attention to. Just said no thanks. Just change the oil.

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If that's the wording they used, very shady. As you noted, it's not in the Maintenance Schedule outlined by Toyota.

Sadly, this pushing of superfluous services is probably instigated by the bosses there. You could run it by the Service Manager, or just look into another dealership.

#6 Mendel Leisk, Mar 11, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2016
  7. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    One maintenance item you should consider which is not on the recommended list is to change the transaxle (transmission) fluid. You can do this yourself or pay a mechanic about $120. It does not involve an expensive transmission flush, just a straight drain and fill.

8. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Once they have the car in the shop with some portion of the engine open, they come back and say: that water pump is "weeping" and should be replaced. This without any evidence of loss of coolant. I've had them try this on me more than once, though not with a hybrid.

9. mrstop

mrstop PWR Mode

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'll be interested in the response on that one. I'll almost bet money that they will push back on the transaxle fluid change :rolleyes:

Agree that you should pass on the fuel injector cleaner. Buy a bottle of cleaner and put it in the tank yourself if you are concerned.

10. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    interesting. this why i only service cars in dealerships while they are under warranty and never after. sometimes it's even hard to force them to do the work under warranty (i guess they can't cheat as much).

11. NutzAboutBolts

NutzAboutBolts Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I know Toyota scions once had waterpump issues where the coolant was leaking through the gasket, those parts are usually covered under warranty. They shouldn't be charging you for that. Sometimes issues like that happens and hopefully they cover it because that's not normal wear and tear parts for it to cause that issue, unless it's a high mileage vehicle which never had the water pump replaced at 120k miles.

12. Steve terry

Steve terry Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    This dealer has always been bad with a capital B. I trust them as far as I can throw them. Bought 5 Toyota in the past and I am always treated like the young military that is in this town. I drove to another city 100 miles away to get my last 2 toyotas. I did put injector cleaner in it this time. Once I traded in my 2006 tundra that I bought at same dealer and they gave me $11,000 for it and put on the lot for $17,000. I saw that and blew a gasket. Called and the head honcho told me they put 7 grand in it before they put it on the lot. I said bs. He offered to show me the numbers so I went down and he said he was wrong. They put 1,000 into it. Still bull. Had new tires on it and needed no work. So I never trust them. I will call them out on anything they tell me.

13. yeldogt

yeldogt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Dealers always have a list of "recommend" items ... your car does not need the injector cleaning .. unless it is exhibiting a problem.

14. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    It's true many (if not most) Dealership Service Departments (Service Advisers specifically) try to recommend BS services that cost them little or nothing...if they even perform them at all...with high or pure profit. Then, especially with the Prius...they will argue that transmission fluid and brake service is not required...because it costs them "real" labor and time, with very low profit. When you press them for transmission service, watch out for the word "flush" and $400+. This is wrong and they are trying to up you like it's a "regular" automatic transmission. The Prius CVT is drain and fill just like a manual transmission or differential and should not cost more than $100-$125. Prius uses DOT 3 brake fluid and a flush should be done every 2-3 years regardless of mileage. Brake service should also include through cleaning, inspection, grease the pins and application of anti-chatter to the pad plates. Brake adjustment refers to parking brake cable...all of which should cost between $100-$175. No matter what car you drive...fluids and filters are key...which reminds me. Don't let them change the cabin or engine intake air filters. Any idiot can do this and for a whole hell of a lot cheaper.

#14 frodoz737, Mar 11, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2016
  15. Steve terry

Steve terry Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Last time I took my wife's car in, they tried to get me to have the cabin filter replaced for a small fee of $40 bucks. I mentioned this on a local Facebook site and how easy it was to replace myself. One guy said it was a big job and it was better to have dealer do it. I think his name was sucker. But yes, 2 minutes and it is changed.

iPhone ?

16. yeldogt

yeldogt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    My local independent charges $100 Hr --- my local MB dealer advertises that they only charge $125hr and it's the cheapest around (it is)

My Porsche dealer charges $250.00hr.

SteveTerry: even if the car is already in the service bay -- I bet the time on the filter is 15min. So .. at best its a $30 labor charge plus the filter

17. Steve terry

Steve terry Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    And that is why I change it out myself. Don't need to be a certified mechanic to change out cabin filter.

18. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Rebound's tip:
    After you remove the old cabin air filter, put your hand into the filter housing and reach down. Pick out any bits of debris which may have fallen beneath the filter.