1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

50% Hybrid Battery Left

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by chickenhawk, Nov 10, 2021.

1. chickenhawk

chickenhawk Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    [​IMG] Hi everyone,
    Ran Dr. Prius app and says my 2011 Prius hybrid battery is 50% bad but car can still run. Would the hybrid battery balance/discharge/charge system help extend/repair it? Anyone with recent experience/input appreciated. This is my spare backup car. Thanks.

#1 chickenhawk, Nov 10, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2021
  2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Any car I own is a permanent fixture in my life until it can no longer be feasible to be that then everything gets stripped put up reused a battery just like in your mag light when the two double A's wear out they're done The battery in your car the nickel metal hydride HV battery is the same way You can prolong the pain with your time or you can kill the pain immediately with your cash it's your choice My cars are kept a new battery they get because I'm going to use that battery probably until it dies 666,000 or so I'm on the way I got five that are on the way to that mileage

SM-A715F ?

3. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It worked for me in my 2010. I don't know what "%" mine was at but it was starting to show
    signs of a problem. Quicker discharge, slow recharge. Not all the time, but more often.
    And about 4mpg loss.
    After running it through the 4 charge and 3 discharge cycles it's back to the way it was when
    I bought the car 4.5 years ago. It was worth it to me.

I personally believe it's worth the money. Are you having any problems with yours? Or does that app
    just say it's at 50%?

It will take about 3-3.5 days to complete unless you are really watching it.
    When I did mine it was raining on an off so I couldn't always check it like I wanted too.
    So a few times on the discharge cycle it had shut off and the battery had regained some charge.
    And the charge had been at charge for a while. Which is not a problem.

The only problem I had was afterward. I waited a few hours after the last charge for it to cool
    off and settle into a fixed voltage. When I started the car, I got the hybrid message.
    I couldn't get rid of it. I tried several times to clear it through techstream to no avail.

Prolong must know about this because on my first email about it they said
    it must be the harness and sent me a new one and a return label for the old on.

What I had to do is disconnect the Prolong harness from the fan and plug the fan back in
    like it was before installing the harness. And all was cleared.

I don't know what was wrong with the harness. I had installed it about 2 weeks before running the system
    and I didn't have any problems. And none after installing the replacement one. But I haven't run it through
    any cycles yet.

When I installed the replacement harness I made sure too leave enough room to easily get to the connectors
    for the fan, just in case!

While you're installing the harness, it's a great time to remove the fan and clean it.
    And the rear bus bars. Mine only had a slight greening on the edges, but I cleaned them
    anyway with baking soda and water, rinsed and dried well.
    The front row had the thin sensor wires, and I didn't want to take the chance of maybe damaging them.
    But then looked better than the rear row, so I'm not worried.

Good thing is, if you get it and run the cycles, if it doesn't work, and you have to get a battery, you can install
    the harness on the new battery, or sell the Prolong system...

jzchen likes this.
  4. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    This prolong thing wires to the battery and can be left so you don't have to play with the battery every time you want to plug up the prolong is this correct I want to make one of these 240 volt grid chargers looks pretty easy and I guess if you were to do this and you caught it early enough probably valid and worth it if you can do it by plugging something up while something's off or what have you And my other car the battery was 20 years old so I just replaced it it made sense In the 2010 I bought 2 years ago the battery started showing crap right after I bought the car and I knew it probably would believe it or not I went to a junkyard that I've been doing business with for a long time and got a 2015 unvented battery rack or battery pack put that in the 2010 and haven't done a thing since I might consider putting a harness and a grid charger on that and playing with it whenever it can be off the road which is rarely

SM-A715F ?