1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

50% MPG increase

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by JoseRob, Apr 3, 2021.

1. JoseRob

JoseRob Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    So, I'm still in a bit of shock even though I shouldn't be but I can't believe what a difference a couple things made. I got my 2011 prius with 40k miles in 2014 and used it for Ride-sharing full time from 2015-2018 where I was averaging 1k miles a week. I replaced the hybrid battery about 2 years ago and had a newer engine put in shortly after but never really saw it go back above 42mpg.

For the last 2 years I've watched as my MPG went down even further to 35-37 and I was starting to think it the battery going out. Thanks to this chat though, I got brave and decided to start working on my car myself even though I had no experience. I first went in and replaced my PCV valve which stopped the oil consumption that had been happening since I got the car (it was burning about a QT every 1,250 miles). I then decided to switch out my spark plugs myself and that was a challenge in its own with all the parts I had to remove. I followed that up with replacing the fuel pump and assembly to keep it simple.

What finally brought that all together and made the difference was the changing of the fuel injectors which I don't think had ever been changed. Now before you guys come after me for this, I had no knowledge not interest in these sorts of things. We have a family mechanic who would do whatever I asked him to do based on what I read but nothing more. It wasn't until I read everything on here and decided to swap them out to see if that would help.

I turned on the car after the swap and went out for a drive on the streets and the freeway. I didn't drive any differently than I usually would to try to achieve results and show off only to have them sink once I drove regularly. My MPG went from 36-38 to 54-57 which is a 50% jump and I couldn't believe it. I used rockauto for all my parts and between saving on each part + saving by doing the work myself with no prior experience I saved $2500+ and that's not even counting the fuel I'm now going to save.

I hope you guys who are in the fence about working on your car just take the leap and do it. I don't even have a driveway, I was doing work on the street in my neighborhood and luckily no one really cared enough to bother me or say something. Thank you to this forum for a the great information and helping me slowly restore my car back to it's glory, I am in debt to you all. 20210403_113916.jpeg 20210319_125301.jpeg 20210224_135411.jpeg

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

2. JoseRob

JoseRob Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    mikey_t and chronon like this.
  3. abdullah arslan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Looks like Mpg rely on 16miles, please update it after next fill up or so, it ll be more accurate

#3 abdullah arslan, Apr 4, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2021
    akashgupta7121 likes this.
  4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The injectors were from Rock Auto? Any more info, price? Ditto for the headlights, and what an improvement.

chronon likes this.
  5. JoseRob

JoseRob Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yea I tried not to get too excited but this was after a couple miles on the freeway and a couple miles on the street. This same route I took when I put in some fuel system cleaner and the best it reached was 39.5 MPG. Will update later though

6. JoseRob

JoseRob Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Well, I bought them from rockauto! I mentioned that because I remember somewhere on this forum a while back I remember people talking about it not being a good website. I've now used them for a ton of stuff in the last year that I've been slowly updating on my car and have had no issue. I always check the price at AutoZone, O'Reilly's and advance auto but rockauto wins everytime.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  7. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Actually it is about a 41% increase at most.
    But, as said, you can't get too excited about short tests like that.
    You need to average a couple of tankfuls.......maybe 500 miles.

8. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Good you decided to do the work yourself! And it paid off.
    You can use mothers poslish on those headlamps and make them like new. It's amazing stuff!
    Have you done the egr system yet?

Steph1972, mikey_t and chronon like this.
  9. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Rock auto has the same parts as the other parts stores. They get them from the same place,
    with a few exceptions. I've spent a lot of money with them and have been satisfied.

Autozone's prices have been going up the last 4 or 5 years. I bought 95% of my parts from them
    because I get a 10% veterans discount and they offer a lifetime warranty on most of the parts.
    Online a lot of places off a lifetime warranty, but you have to wait for them to send it, which is usually a week
    unless you want to pay for overnight shipping, and hope they send the correct one. They you have to pay to
    return it.
    It depends on the part I'm getting on where I get it. Struts are next on my list and will probably get them from
    autozone because of the lifetime warranty and I get replacements by the next day. It will be about $40 more,
    but well worth it a quick exchange.

JoseRob likes this.
  10. chronon

chronon Active Member

here and there aint be in frozen wasteland no mo..
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    So the new injectors look alot cleaner ~! . a bit shorter .. but on the inside .. do u think they have a smaller nozzle which vaporizes a finer mist ?
    I have never changed the fuel filter (that i can remember) on my 2005 car with and I'm wondering about the injectors getting dirty gas if the filter is getting close to clogged after all these miles (+ 170k) .. and maybe newer injector design is an improvement over OEM ...

11. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Have you still got the injectors you took out?

In the past, we've sometimes sent those off to a service that does flow and pattern testing, then ultrasonically cleans them, does the testing again, and reports back the before and after results. Sometimes that confirms how much of an issue the injectors were, sometimes not.

I don't think we've done a set of Gen 3 injectors yet. We've done Gen 1 and Gen 2 (which use the same injector); in fact I've still got the last set of those we got restored.

12. PriusII&C

PriusII&C Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Good job!

How much reduction in oil consumption after PCV valve replacement? BTW, How many miles are there on the car?

13. JoseRob

JoseRob Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Wait, but isn't 50% of 36 = 18 and then 36+18= 54?

garrettingle22, LiveFree and mikey_t like this.
  14. JoseRob

JoseRob Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I tried to polish them first but there's a crack at the top of it and it was letting in moisture which over time caused it to look like that! The inside is where all the cloudiness was coming from so I figured it was time to replace it

15. JoseRob

JoseRob Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I noticed little to no oil consumption although after I've changed it I've only gotten 2 oil changes and I still check it religiously with no oil missing. I used to always carry quarts of oil in my car (I actually still do) just in case and I haven't had to dump any in!

mikey_t likes this.
  16. JoseRob

JoseRob Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Sorry for the camera angle but they're the same size. My hand is slightly raised by my fingers which gives it that impression but they're exactly the same. I'd definitely recommend the swap if you're willing to do it yourself and follow along with a YouTube video. It cost me under $200 but I'd definitely use some cleaner in the system first and let it do it's thing. My car had way too many miles on it and I had to stop being cheap and neglecting it so I opted to give it new ones

17. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Yes.
    My mistake.
    Fat finger on the keys, I guess.

18. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Okay, it was time to replace them. Repairing them would just be a pain, and just about impossible. :)

19. JoseRob

JoseRob Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The driver's side one is heading in that direction though so maybe I'll get on top of it and clean it before it gets worse.

ASRDogman likes this.
  20. MarsMan

MarsMan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

I was @25MPG on my 2010 w/150k miles No errors. No changes. Cleaned my EGR system (pipe valve and cooler) replaced PVC, new spark plugs, cleaned MAF and throttle body, cleaned intake manifold. Was good for a minute but went back down.

I replaced my water pump and thermostat and Im back up to 35.

Ive been debating fuel injectors and this sold me on it. IM ORDERING THEM NOW.

also 2hat did you use for the headlights?

MANY THANKS.

LiveFree likes this.