1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

500,000km (300,000mi) teardown on Gen 2 Prius engine

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Georgina Rudkus, Jan 15, 2022.

1. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    This video shows why the Gen 2 1NZ-FXE 4 cylinder is one great engine, and why frequent oil changes are most important.

Also, check out his other videos that show how much worse other engines are.

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I've watched a few of these I've used the one NZ in the Yaris for some time prior to having a Prius and the ZZ engine in the Corolla up to 02 that'd be the one ZZ I never dealt with the two ZZ so the 2010 up is kind of new to me and the Atkinson version and a regular Corolla not so much but I expect my Gen 2 to go 500,000 I expect that from a modified Corolla I've had several Corollas get that mileage and I expect it from the Prius Toyota knew that these cars were going to double the mileage game for the most part ,300,000 would not be unheard of.. I've also been with Toyota since the mid-60s my first Toyota had to be imported here I brought it from Europe somewhere when I was in the military and had to wait a few years until they started bringing them here to be able to get another

3. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for sharing the video... It was fun to watch... Amazing how simple this engine design is considering how technologically advanced the drivetrain was in its era. Too bad they made it more complicated for Gen3 and beyond.

Another and Tombukt2 like this.