1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

5000 mile road trip+/-..

Discussion in 'Prime Fuel Economy & EV Range' started by wb9tyj, Aug 22, 2018.

1. wb9tyj

wb9tyj 2017 Prius Prime Advanced

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Just came off a road trip from the Midwest to Nevada and back...Temperatures ranged from 117F- 55F ,weather conditions from dry to soaking wet...Speeds/velocities ranged from city driving to 88mph...
    Running the interstates at an average of 74.5mph yielded an average mpg (in HV mode only) of 51.3mpg...
    Of course, running faster ,closer to 80mph yielded mpgs of 48-50...(and yes, i was getting passed like i was standing still...you have to flow with the traffic or get killed ...) EV mode was used once at high speeds which eats it up quickly...however, we were up at 86mph and still solely in EV...No kick in of ICE until 88mph ( Great Scott Marty...) Now in EV modes...In city(Las Vegas, Henderson...we had routinely 24-28 EV miles on each charge and never bought gas for 10 days, as chargers are prevalent throughout Clark County...however, keep in mind everything is spread out ..(.from KLAS to the M Resort is 10 miles one way...)...
    Compared to the Gen2 Prius we had earlier, .total gas costs were actually lower by approximately $25 round trip...even though gas costs were higher /gallon than last year...
    Mountain climbing in and near ABQ and FLG was a non event...car cruised right up the inclines with no issues...Overall comfort was good and my back felt better(compared to the 2009 prius) after 17hrs/12hrs/ over 2 days of driving...

2. burnout8488

burnout8488 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Good info!

Is that a typo though? 5000 miles and only $25 of fuel usage?

3. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh boy....

One of the first road trips I took with my at the time, new Prius was a trip to California, in which I took the Oregon Coast Highway back. It was absolutely postcard picture beautiful.
    BUT IMO all the little towns along the coast are basically speed traps. All of them posting rapid drops in MPH from 55 MPH to city entry speeds of 35-25 mph.
    Flow of traffic has most people going 65-75 MPH in the 55 MPH zones, and these little towns don't have to work hard to catch as many speeders coming into town as they want. It's pretty much instant revenue, any time they want.

I'm going to say, I got caught speeding in one of those towns. Yes, I was going 35 down a perfectly clear, straight hill, with nobody around me...and strangely enough the speed limit on one single sign is posted as being 25 mph. IMO...bogus. Clearly a permanent speed trap situation. BUT....you can't win those arguments. You just pull over, get the ticket and end up paying.

But for me...that town was early on my route. I was enjoying the coast. I however could NOT afford to get two speeding tickets on the same day. My insurance...which did go up...would of gone ballistic. So for the whole rest of the trip I was "Granny Go The Speed"...55 in the 55 zones, and slowing down as we approached each town, and matching the posted speed limit very conservatively.

What was funny in retrospect, was the abuse I took from fellow drivers. I wasn't going "slower" than the posted speed limits, I just wasn't going any faster.
    I honesty considered trying to get a grease pen and taping the speeding ticket to the back or drivers side window, along with a BIG message saying "Here's the Speeding Ticket I just Got!"..
    Because I had people with bumper stickers that said "Jesus is my Co-Pilot" angrily passing me, and mouthing some unholy things to me. as they passed.

Of course people not only saw "slower" than they wanted to go, but they also saw a Prius. So I don't know if that factored into peoples seeming road rage at my simply going the posted limit. But let's just say it was an interesting trip.

4. wb9tyj

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    The 25$ difference is compared to my 2009 gen2 prius that did the same trip in previous years

5. wb9tyj

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Even some of the semis were up to 80mph and playing games...The thing that gets me is the trucks like to play cat-mouse games by passing each other and blocking the left lane for miles on end because they cant quite pass their fellow trucker...and when they do...they only gain a 1-2 second lead and the process starts all over again...Trucks should stay in the right lane period...If you are governed at 65 dont even bother trying to pass...Impeding the left lane in most states is illegal...

triggerhappy007 likes this.