1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

$5000 Transaxle assembly

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by MelS, Feb 27, 2012.

1. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    MelS I would not be taking this lying down, and would be talking to my solicitors. The warranty is vague to say the leased, it even mentions rear wheel drive and is obviously part of the standard Toyota vehicle warranty. The part that interest you is the hybrid section and it is obvious that the electric motors are part of the hybrid system, ordinary cars do not have them.
    The wording to look at is in the hybrid section and I quote "hybrid related components for hybrid vehicles are covered for 8years/100000miles".

2. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Trying a different tack, go back and say there is nothing wrong with the transaxle but the hybrid electric motors have failed, (on there say so) these are part of the hybrid system so replace them under guaranty as you do not require the transaxle to be replaced.

3. MelS

MelS New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Talked to a non-dealer mechanic who can do this sort of thing. He said he would have to diagnose again to be sure that the fix was correct and if it IS the transaxle he would get that part from the dealer so not sure how much money would be saved. He also said it sounded strange. I don't think he was fishing for my business. Reputable place with lots of recommendations about not having you spend money unnecessarily.

Dealer is now going to contact Toyota to follow up on my goodwill assistance attempt. They can't initiate but can put pressure afterwards I guess, based on their desire to keep me as a customer (?)

Looked up the codes in case anyone is interested.

C2300- ACT System malfunction. Open or short circuit in the transaxle parking lock control relay and/or shift control actuator assy, or an internal abnormality in the shift control actuator assy. Trouble areas: shift control actuator assy; transaxle parking lock control relay; transmission control ECU assy; Wire harness or connector

C2318-Low voltage error power supply malfunction. Terminal +B voltage of the transmission control ECU is 9.3 V or less for 1 sec. or more. Trouble areas: HEV fuse; IGCT relay; wire harness or connector; auxiliary battery

P0A78-Drive Motor "A" Inverter Performance. This has various INF codes associated and I didn't get that second code. All are about Motor inverter fail or over-voltage. Trouble areas in common: Wire harness or connector; HV transaxle assembly; Hybrid vehicle motor; Hybrid vehicle generator; HV control ECU; w/ converter inverter assembly

4. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    UK guaranty

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  5. GWhizzer

GWhizzer not so Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That would be a nice, but even though you and I may disagree, Toyota specifically lists the parts that ARE part of the hybrid warranty as per my previous post, and they do not include the electric motors.

6. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    But Toyota them selves call them hybrid electric motors.

7. GWhizzer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm with you, but here is the link from the Toyota Canada site and it is pretty explicit.

TOYOTA CANADA: Prius > Warranty

However, when I get home tonight, I'm also going to check the warranty documentation they supplied when I bought the car just in case it conflicts.

8. MelS

MelS New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Amazing.
    If you compare the two, absolutely they have worded themselves out of coverage in the American version. The US version says "hybrid related components" and engine is under "powertrain warranty" without specifying gasoline or electric. <sigh> Although electric makes it a motor, not an engine, no?

Nostalgic about the days I lived under more consumer protections in Spain and France. Why the difference??

9. GWhizzer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Did you double check the actual documentation supplied with the vehicle in 2007 in case it is different from the current website?

10. MelS

MelS New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The Canadian warranty specifically says that hybrid transaxle and motor are covered under the powertrain warranty.:(

I need to take a look at my actual warranty booklet but it's in the vehicle; the dealer did say the same - that it wouldn't matter if it were the motor or the transaxle assembly. Not covered.

11. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    THIS is why one needs to replace the Transaxle fluid, as it ages, metal bits build up until you get a short. Replace the fluid at least every 60,000 miles folks.

1 person likes this.
  12. MelS

MelS New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for that clarification, it's very helpful and makes sense. Is this the same thing as transmission fluid on the maintenance schedule? If so, dealer would have 'checked the transmission fluid' at 30,000 and 60,000 miles... what does 'check' mean? I will investigate.

Are there documented cases of this occurring, enough to warrant a change in the service manual from 'check' to 'change'?

13. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The scheduled maintenance did not ask for changing of transaxle fluid. I was just asking if he did, which fluid he used. Since he didn't change it should be the original fluid.

14. MelS

MelS New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My scheduled maintenance at 30,000 and 60,000 says "Check transmission fluid." So is that for level of fluid, or quality of fluid? I'm going to ask the dealer tomorrow to pull up what was done.

15. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Just when does Toyota recommend a change of the transaxle fluid?

They are getting major failures like this, and they don't recommend a change by 60k miles? FAIL. Service schedule designed to burn the customer?

.... and I hope to not hear the common retort to hybrid batteries ... but conventional cars get expensive auto tranny failures. Peoples, we've got a problem here. Toyota is not enforcing transaxle fluid change at 60k. Priuschat can't solve that for everyone.

16. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I don't believe they call for it to be changed at all (http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-...alerships-transmission-fluid.html#post1282144). I don't have my booklet in front of me.

There have been numerous stories of dealer service departments discouraging people from changing it, even when asked w/goofy claims like it's "lifetime" fluid. Supposedly even some parts counters are reluctant to sell it (http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-...alerships-transmission-fluid.html#post1281816)... :rolleyes:

I posted about my experience at http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-...24-changing-transaxle-oil-22.html#post1287277 w/my dealer (at the time) being hesitant to change it. It is a bit odd, considering how many dealers push all sorts of unnecessary services that aren't called for.

2 people like this.
  17. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Like many here, I change the ATF every 60k miles or so. However, I don't *really* know if it matters; nor do I know if the reported failures here could have been averted by ATF changes.

Don't jump to conclusions, but do buy yourself some cheap insurance that *might* help avert transaxle failures.

1 person likes this.
  18. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I just looked thru the warranty / maintenance schedule booklet ... they do not call for any transmission oil change (transaxle) even at 120k miles, only inspections every 30k miles.

and I confirm the warranty booklet says the ..

'transaxle / motor / generator is covered under 60month/60k miles warranty powertrain warranty.

anyhoo, dealer service schedule is somewhat lax. I'll be following a more aggressive schedule. I don't think they call for coolant changes either.

19. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Toyota does call for coolant changes at 100k miles and every 50k miles thereafter. They don't call for ATF refreshes at all.

I and several others did ATF refreshes and lab testing of the ATF after early motor winding (and some bearing) failures started to appear in Gen1 Prii (2001-2003). Our results determined that the older Type IV ATF in Gen 1 Prii should be changed at 30k mile intervals. The results for Gen2 (and this applies to current Prii as well) showed that there is an initial build up of mettalic load in the ATF which justifies an early refresh at 30k miles and then every 60k miles thereafter.

My 2004 Prius is now at 219k miles, has had ATF refreshes every 60k miles (with lab testing) and is doing fine.

JeffD

3 people like this.
  20. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Is preventive maintenance justified if it costs more than the repairs it avoids ?

ATF replacement costs about $100 at the dealer, while a transaxle repair at the dealer is say $5000. Conveniently, DIY ATF replacement and used transaxle repair have about the same ratio of 50:1.

Over 180k miles three ATF drains, costing in total $300 occur. 5000/300 = 17.
    So unless the transaxle failure rate of avoidable events is > ~ 6% by 180k miles in the cars on original fluid, a reasonable argument can be made to not change the fluid.

These high cost, but very infrequent repairs are an excellent fit for a reasonable insurance scheme. Danny ?