1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

5000k HID lights in Winter Gray Prius IV

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by nola_Prius, Aug 9, 2009.

1. richwiller

richwiller Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    III
    CARHIDKITS.com

2. bioman

bioman New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Where did you buy your kit from?

3. richwiller

richwiller Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    III
    CARHIDKITS.com

4. richwiller

richwiller Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    III
    The only tricky things are:
    Access to the original bulbs is hard at first, remove the bolt that holds the air intake tube on passenger side to assist in getting to bulb. From the front of the car or bulb the twist would be 1/3 clockwise, both bulbs. This means the bottom of the passenger side will be twisted to the fender and away from the fender on the driver side. Both plug ends for the new bulb harness and for the existing bulb plug will be on the same side of a silicone disk or cap that really isn't used but molded over the harness. The other plugs go to the Ballast and it's that simple. I had trouble getting the pins/spades in the new harness that mates with the existing bulb plug and had to spread then a little. The red wire on the new harness mates to the purple plug wire on the Prius, or + side if you use a meter. The red must go to the + on the ballast also. I mounted the ballasts on a flat surface close to the firewall and fender. When the lights come on they will buzz for about 15 sec. and then quiet and bright! The white lines on the road pop even at twilight. No one has flashed me yet probably due to the excellent projector lens used on the Prius. This is a major improvement over the complicated shutter used on the 05 we had with HID's. The install is dirt simple just don't over think and match the correct plugs, all get used by the way.

5. Superdrol

Superdrol Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So I need to order an H11 for the Prius to convert it into the OEM harness ? There will not be any heat issues at all ? I've seen several websites being thrown around. I am assuming that they are all suffice ?

6. richwiller

richwiller Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    III
    The Harness is only for the H11 which really refers to the bulb socket style and size. The Xenon bulb will plug into the harness supplied, and the harness will plug into the Prius connector that was on the H11 halogen bulb. The rest of the harness plugs into the new ballast.

7. RiceHead

RiceHead New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have a pair of aftermarket HIDs in my 2010 but one of the ballasts keeps overheating and turning of the driver's side light when it's really hot out (that's what happens when you buy a garbage kit on ebay).

I decided to buy some new ones, and went with HIDExtra.com. They were really easy to deal with, always answer their phone, and had great prices. Installing this weekend, will let you know how it goes.

8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Does anybody have any tips regarding the secure mounting of the ballasts?

9. putty

putty Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I used tie raps and followed the OP pictures

10. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I tried but I couldn't figure out how. I ended up using a narrow piece of wood that is zip tied to the two rainwater holes at either side and then zip tying the ballast to the piece of wood.

It's fairly tight but I just have to make sure the wood can withstand the heat lol.

How did you zip tie your ballast directly to the car? which holes did you use?

TIA!

11. marshac

marshac New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I removed those plastic panels on the sides of the engine compartment- there is a small metal strut that I was able to attach (zip ties) to- once installed, you can reattach the covers. One benefit of the harness that hasn't been pointed out is that the longer cable length gives you more mounting options.

As an update, it has now been over a year since I put a HIDxtra 5k kit in my Prius IV- no problems whatsoever. I must have done a decent job installing it because I don't even think the Toyota service techs have noticed it- or at least haven't commented about it.

12. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ohhh.... ok. I'll take a look.

They usually don't care. I saw my Coastal EV mod on the old Prius nicely tucked away after a visit to the dealer. The tech didn't mention anything to me.

13. LulzChicken

LulzChicken Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Here are some DDM 5000K with slim ballasts -

[​IMG]

14. bagwell

bagwell Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    looks good!

so you're 100% happy with 5000K?

15. LulzChicken

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I sure am. They look absolutely perfect, not to mention the road is so much more brighter.:rockon:

16. bagwell

bagwell Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    just got my DDM kit --- with your kit, did your bulbs have these 2 loose wires...1 blue 1 black? lame...they're to cheap to put a plug on?!??!?!

Attached Files:

17. LulzChicken

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You don't need the plug! I posted in your other thread -

"That's how mine came, they still work perfectly fine. Some of them ship with a connector, but most ship with just the wires as the picture shows. It's not a problem - Push the adapter pins into the OEM bulb connector. You need to match up the + and - though. Positive wires are generically a lighter color such as red, blue, yellow, etc.. Ground (-) wires are generally a darker color such as black, or brown. Simple as that! Let me know if you have any further issues - or just wanted to ask if they call come like that.

Here is a link to a H11 bulb install guide directly from DDM - it will show you a picture."

If you need any more help shoot me a PM or reply to one of these threads. Good luck!

18. bagwell

bagwell Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    gracias!

19. LulzChicken

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Sure thing. Take some pictures when it's all done!

20. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Umm, cool? Good job? My HIDs came stock. Boo yah!