1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

5000k HID lights in Winter Gray Prius IV

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by nola_Prius, Aug 9, 2009.

1. Yep, 35 watt H11. No issues going from highs to lows. During warm up of my lows I'd say there is 80% light with a hint of blue that lasts for 5-10 seconds.

2. nickfromny

nickfromny Member since 2007

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thanks Chief.
    I should have read every post from beginning.
    Sorry.
    I do have 6 DDM kits working on Tundra 07(3)09 Prius(1), 10 Harley(2). All 55w 6000k. Going with 5000k for the 11. Needed the slim DDM balasts to fit on the bike. I like to cook my meal before I run it over.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Nice. Time to upgrade the driving lights to LEDs to match the colour!

4. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd be careful running a 50w + ballast and aftermarket bulb in those housings as they run really hot. Not sure how the heat compares to the stock halogen bulb but just be aware your can cook your bowls.

5. Thanks, I'm on it....I kept the stock parking lights in so I could show the difference in color temperature to a few coworkers.

6. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Quite a difference, eh? I do like the concept of the white forward facing lights. I just wished Toyota went the extra step and made them LEDs.

7. WinstonTheodore

WinstonTheodore New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hey Bagwell, did you replace the marker and high-beams as well?

8. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Could someone post more wall shots and some shots showing how wide the spread is with the 2010+ headlights and HIDs? Wall shots are simply a picture of the beam paterns cast onto a whitish colored flat wall from approx. 25ft away.

I would also recommend that your check your cutoff height after installing the HIDs so your don't blind oncoming traffic. It's a safety thing. :)

9. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Like this?

[​IMG]

Hmm, looks closer when you view it in the photo.

Judging by the Charger and the Matrix, I think my height is ok, right? Just eyeballing it, it's just about the height of the top of both bumpers. The pattern looks weird. Shouldn't it be pointing the other way? To light up the side of the road?

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  10. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That is a very nice cutoff for a stock halogen projector (with HIDs in it)!

To properly aim your headlights I suggest the following:

1. Measure the height from the ground to the middle of your projector lens.
    2. Park 25' away from a solid-colored wall. White or tan is best. Ensure you are on level ground (including the wall)
    3. Use the measurement you took in step one and make a mark on the wall at that exact height. You can use a piece of tape to do this.
    4. Make another mark approx. 2" inches below the mark you made in step #3.
    5. Go back to your car and use the OEM level adjustment screw to lower or raise the lower cutoff (You should have cutoff 2 steps*, one from your left headlight and one from your right) to the mark you made in step #4. The left cutoff is lower because it will reduce the likelihood of blinding oncoming traffic (usually in the lane to the left of you).
    If you are particularly heavy-set then you may need to reduce the drop in Step #4 to a little less than 2" in the event you sitting in the car significantly lowers it.

Here is another thread on the topic at HIDPlanet.com.
    HOW TO: aim HID headlights

* A cutoff step is where the straight line bends down at a 45 degree angle to the left. There should be two of them. The one to the right will be aimed higher than the one on the left. This is to reduce glare and castign unwanted light into the eyes of on-coming traffic in left-hand drive vehicles.

1 person likes this.
  11. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's one reason why I never installed on the Gen 2. The multi-reflector housing will just throw light everywhere and judging by the number of RSXs and Civics with HIDs in them, it doesn't look pretty. This looks factory installed. There's a little bit of stray light I think (that faint box btwn the Charger and the door to the right) but I had a friend check and he said there wasn't any glare in his mirror from my headlights.

12. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I' m not an expert but I think it looks good. If I had a Geniii I would put HIDs in the OEM projectors just like you did.

How do those compare to the LED setup? Do your have comparison photos for that?

13. exbauer

exbauer Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I feel the HID headlights are brighter than the LED headlights. I had a gen II with HID and a gen III with LED. But, it is hard to say since the gen III doesn't come in a HID headlight option to compare apples to apples. But, many RX 450h owners feel that way also. They say it is brighter and farther than the LED. With the RX 450h you can get halogen, HID, or LED.

14. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Nope. The only LED-equipped car that I've driven was the CT200h. The beam was nice and wide and the colour was great but it did seem a tad dim compared to my HIDs. Again, I didn't notice any hotspots with the LEDs on the road (hard to tell since it was snow-covered, the night I test drove it) but as you can tell with the pics above, the halogen projectors have a hotspot near the centre of the car.