1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

5000k HID lights in Winter Gray Prius IV

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by nola_Prius, Aug 9, 2009.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    AFAIK, you're good to go.

lol... ain't it always the case? I'd like a set of those 16" TRD Sportivos but I know that'll never happen cause shipping is very $$$ for something that large. I'll stick with smaller items.

2. hawkmoon77

hawkmoon77 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Was it me? If so, I'm glad i could help.

3. Mar

Mar Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    In the photos, i could not tell if the gray color had any mtallic chips in it like our mettalic grey 09?

4. rstark18

rstark18 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hey Nola, what is your opinion with 4300k vs 5000k. I'm still trying to decide. I'm going on vacation nex week And will be ordering when I get back but don't know which one to order.

Also what are the details on your tinting. It looks really nice and hats something else I'm trying to decide on. I'm thinking of going with lumar 35% all he way around (not the front).

5. nola_Prius

nola_Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It does have metallic chips, hence the name Winter Gray Metallic. ;)
    They're there, but not nearly as obvious as my previous car, a Flint Mica 2008 Scion tC.

I love the Winter Gray Metallic color! It is very classy, and has a nice range of shades, depending on the ambient lighting.

About the tint, I have Llumar 30% on the fronts and 20% on everything else. I really like it a lot, for both looks and functionality.

As far as which color temp HID kit to get, that depends on your tastes or needs. I had 6000k in my previous car, which I REALLY liked because they had the nice blue tint to them, but also had a nice white overtone... not TOO blue like 8000k.
    The 5000k also looks really great to me. It's strong, clear white, but has a very slight nice touch of blue. If you're debating between the 4300k and the 5000k, I think you'll be very happy with either of them. Technically, the 4300k puts out a little more useable light power...but my 5000k set is pretty damn bright enough. The choice is yours!
    Google and YouTube both of them, and you're sure to find a bunch of real world examples to look at.

I'm gonna try to take some more accurate and natural looking pics tomorrow night of the lights (from the driver's perspective).

6. PracticalEfficiency

PracticalEfficiency New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    How is the brightness on your headlights compared to your old halogen lights?

Do you have before / after pictures of the headlights?

7. nola_Prius

nola_Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I wish I did have some before and after pics.
    The brightness is amazing when compared to the halogens.
    It is like night and day.
    I'll never go back to halogens.

I'm gonna try to take some better pics tomorrow night.
    Check back!

1 person likes this.
  8. shwee

shwee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Does anyone know if Toyota would be able to make an argument that making this mod could affect our warranty?

9. nola_Prius

nola_Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    For anyone who is interested in more pics... I added some more to the first post. :)
    Nine of them are pics from early this evening and although the car is a
    little wet from some rain we had, I think the water drops look cool. ;)
    The other four give a pretty good idea of what the 5000k HID lights look
    like in real life.

I also took a 30 second video of the lights turning on and warming up, and then
    a quick drive down the street.

2 people like this.
  10. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    They do have a noticeable warmup time, don't they?

11. nola_Prius

nola_Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yeah, a little bit. It's about 5 seconds or so.
    This camera is not very good for video, especially low light situations.
    Looking back at the clip, it seems like it somewhat exaggerates the warmup rate, making it seem slower than it is in person. This was from a totally cold start, though.

12. moner

moner New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, your killer pics (and awesome Faith No More video) have inspired me. I'll be ordering HIDs later this week; thanks for laying the whole process out so simply!
    By the way, if you get a chance, could you take a pic under the fuse cover? I'm curious to see where you put the power connection... :unsure:

1 person likes this.
  13. nola_Prius

nola_Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Excellent band recognition! They better be coming to tour North America!
    I've been daydreaming about their reunion for over a decade. :)

I am about to fall asleep, but if nobody beats me to it, I'll post a pic of the fuse box tomorrow. I'll try to explain it for now...

When you take off the fuse box cover, you will see another, much smaller cover underneath. (in the lower left corner of the fuse box)
    It has two tab buttons on the side that you need to press in order to remove the cover. (it slides up and off)

Underneath there is the positive power line. Remove that bolt and connect the red power cable there, when you get your HID kit.
    You can connect the black ground cable underneath the bolt to the right of the fuse box. (underneath the lip of the hood)

If you have any other questions, let me know.
    Tomorrow I will post some pics of it.

14. moner

moner New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Alright, sweet dude! I was looking around under the cover today and decided against pulling everything apart until I had a clue. It definitely looks like a nice and easy install with the back of the bulbs being so accessible. I think I'm going to go for 4300k, keep it somewhat factory looking. I'm sooooo happy the Daytime Running Lights run on the high beams, no thinking involved.
    Yep, I loves me some Mike Patton. I really hope their European tour makes it over here!

15. nola_Prius

nola_Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I added two pics of the fuse box to the first post of this thread.
    This should clear it up a bit for ya.

I understand that if you've never installed HID lights before, it is certainly a bit unfamiliar and probably even a little bit intimidating...but it shouldn't be! It's really simple! When you're all done, you'll look back and say, "Wow... that was simple."

16. moner

moner New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Haha, well those last 2 pics you added sure clarify everything, HIDs for Dummies. :D I was wiggling that little black cover around but felt like it was going to break, good to know now that I was kind of on the right track. Can't wait to get them installed, thanks again!

17. nola_Prius

nola_Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    FYI there are two little tabs on the sides of the power terminal's cover that you need to push/pull before you can lift the cover up.
    You're welcome and good luck! :)

18. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah it does look exaggerated in the video. How cold though? Cause I'll have to start them at -40 at the worse and usually it's night time (or early morning) when those temps hit so I'll need the headlights asap.

Should make for a good comparison for those debating between 4300K and 5000K

19. jestoy7

jestoy7 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Great thread and very comprehensive. It is very tempting to do this mod on my car! :)

20. nola_Prius

nola_Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Well, I didn't mean cold so much in reference to the temp outside, but just that the bulbs had bit sitting for hours without being on.
    It was probably around 75 degrees when I shot this last night, but even during the winter (from my past experience) when it's near freezing outside, they still start up just as quickly.
    It's just whether or not the bulbs have been on recently. If they have, then they warm right up and get to their real color temp very quickly.
    If not, it's usually about 5 seconds until max brightness, then the color evens out over the next 5-10 seconds or so.

I think that because the camera I used is so horrible for video in low light settings (and that street was pitch black), it took even longer for light to be seen through the camera. Hopefully that makes sense.

4300k will definitely have more of a stock color, but the 5000k isn't TOO much different. In my opinion, once you move to 6000k and beyond, then you'll start to take on a "modded" look. I loved the 6000k lights in my previous car, but would never go to 8000k. (at least not for my low beams)

Do it! :)