1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

5000k HID lights in Winter Gray Prius IV

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by nola_Prius, Aug 9, 2009.

1. PriusRay

PriusRay Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thank you for the very detailed instructions =)! I did everything you and mobile hid recommended, but it seems the light still won't flip on. I've made sure all the plugs are in the right direction.

I tested the lights with and without the ignition switched to "ready." hmm. I fear I may have a dead unit. I'll try again tonight and let you know any new results. Maybe I just need to apply more pressure to the driver-side stock plug with the remote plug....

2. nola_Prius

nola_Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    A dead unit is certainly possible, as with all electronics, but I doubt and hope that isn't the case here. I've ordered several kits from Mobile HID and they all worked like a charm.

Maybe you plugged that remote turn-on plug in the wrong way? Maybe try flipping it the other way? (not sure if that would matter or not)

3. PriusRay

PriusRay Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks Nola for all your help and pictures! I was able to fire up the lights. I figurered out that the male prongs on the mobile hid's "remote turn-on plug" were too wide, so they weren't making contact with toyota's stock plug. I was able to bend it in and it worked!! hooooray @#$!#$! Anywho, the light is brilliant. Love it. I took your advice and zip-tied the two plugs together to ensure a good fit. I'll take some pics of my blue ribbon metallic with new xenon lights tomorrow! Thanks again.

4. nola_Prius

nola_Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Nice! :)
    Glad to see it's working for ya.
    Take some pics!!

5. rstark18

rstark18 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    PriusRay, which color temp did you get?

6. PriusRay

PriusRay Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I opted for 5000K like the op. It has a very slight tinge of blue, but it's mostly white light. I would say it’s like 15% blue, 85% white. Perfect distribution of blue/white to create that classy stock look found on more premium vehicles. The 5000K kit is the only way to go imo.

I’m at work now, but I’ll post some night shots later tonight.

7. PriusRay

PriusRay Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Here are some pics of my new HIDs. Pics aren't as cool as Nola's, but I hope they'll do!!

Attached Files:

3 people like this.
  8. nola_Prius

nola_Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Sweet pics! That one where with those reddish/purplish lens flares looks sweet! :)

How do you like driving with the lights? How long did you have the car before putting in the HID kit?
    The difference is like night and day, huh?

9. PriusRay

PriusRay Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I love the lights, I feel like I wanna drive a lot more these days....at night ha. I've had the car since late July, so I definitely jumped on the kit pretty quick. Thank goodness for this forum... my simple mind could never figure out how those wires connect together. I ordered some wedge white w5w LEDs to replace my license plate lights. SHould be a sweet complement.

10. LulzChicken

LulzChicken Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have a question, some of these HID lights have to have a 12V power connection to the battery.. How am I suppose to get power to the bulbs when the battery is all the way in the back of the car? Or do some HID's not require extra power? Comments would be appreciated!

EDIT: There is a "power terminal" in the fuze box eh? I guess the purpose is for the 12V accessories to be powered right? As in, hook up the power to that.

EDIT EDIT: Also, is there a certain way to tell if a certain HID kit will work with the Prius or not? Or are they all universal and such?

11. nola_Prius

nola_Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I've been planning on doing the same thing. I replaced all my interior lights and license plate lites on my previous car. I like how the front doors on the Prius have the lights to illuminate the ground as you get in the car. Some really bright LED bulbs would be nice in there too.

I just haven't gotten around to finding out exactly what bulbs I need to get for everything. It will probably be my next mod... hopefully to be soon followed by some audio upgrades. I love that the front doors have 6x9 woofers!

I assume that it is there to serve as a power source and/or as a jumpstarting point? I've seen somebody else power their HID kit through there, so I figured it would be ok. ;)

I would guess that they're all or mostly universal. I really can't say for certain.

12. moner

moner New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey Nola,
    I finally received my HID kit and installed it last night. http://priuschat.com/forums/canadia...67656-canadian-2010-4300k-hids-installed.html
    Unlike your kit, the HIDs I received did not hook up to battery power and ground through a relay. Instead they simply plugged into the existing halogen bulb's connector. I would have rather of gone your route for installation and not used factory wiring but I guess I should have read the Ebay listing better. Either way they look great, what a difference!

13. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hello Moner.... why do you consider that a negative to use factory wiring?.. you didn't have to run extra wire and mess with the dash to install a switch and everything works as factory right?

also, I assume you installed into the low beams?

Unless you can think of a negative.. I think I would rather order from your source.

14. nola_Prius

nola_Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Mess with the dash?? What are you talking about??
    I didn't need to install any switches in the dash. My lights come on just like the factory halogens.
    The only POSSIBLE negative that I can think of, which might be a big negative, is that my kit has its own wiring harness and seeks its own power, AND includes a FUSE. Honestly, I'm not sure if this makes a difference, but it seems to me that it might be a lot safer and a lot less cause for problems.

Awesome, moner! It makes all the difference in the world! :)
    I remember when I first switched to HID lights. There's a big difference between simply seeing other cars on the road that have HID lights and actually DRIVING with HID lights. It's such a cool sensation at first. :)

15. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I think you misunderstood me.... I was trying to figure out why they were implying that they would have rather used the wiring that came with the kit instead of the factory wiring since the later prevents from having to run any wires or install switches.

Maybe I was the one who misunderstood?

Regardless, I don't see any negatives if all you have to do is pop them in in place of the other ones!
    Why mess with the wiring harness in the kit?

16. nola_Prius

nola_Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    First off, no dash-mounted switches (or mounted switches of any kind, for that matter) are required for either kit.

To me, the benefit of having the dedicated wiring harness (which takes less than a minute to install) is that it has its own fuse and the fact that it isn't relying solely on the factory harness, which was not designed for the HID lights.

As I said before, I'm no electrician, but the idea of a fuse and a wiring harness that was specifically meant for the HID lights seems good to me... but maybe it really doesn't make a difference.

With all the talk about how HID lights have been a problem with the Toyota Prius, I like the idea of a fuse (hopefully) blowing before doing any damage to something else that is more expensive and important.

17. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Good point as there may be surges that pull more amps upon fireup than the customary Halogens ever do.
    Now that you mention it.. I agree with your conclusion.

I guess without seeing the kit, I didn't understand how the light would turn on and off if a separate harness was used..... whats the switching mechanism?

18. nola_Prius

nola_Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    There is a relay switch, which is part of the wiring harness... maybe that is where you were getting confused about installing "switches."
    It's not your typical switch, as in you don't need to install it or actually flip any switch.

It's basically the first piece in line on the wiring harness, coming from that stock driver's side headlamp plug. When the car's headlights are turned on, the relay switch opens up and passes the signal along to let the ballasts and bulbs fire up.

By the way... awesome Young Frankenstein avatar. :)

19. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Very nice!.... I'm used to running HID's and only now am I back to Halogens again.... Although I think the 2010 Prius has exceptional lighting for a halogen setup.. I think I will do your mod...

A couple of questions personally for you...
    1. If you had it to do over again, would you still go with the kit you used or another?

2. I know you can't do side by side comparisons now "unless you find someone else's car" but how much distance vision do you think you gain while on low beam verses the stock setup on low beam?

3. How much side to side do you think you gain... like on the freeway...?
    I remember my HIDs would light up all four lanes no problem on a freeway.

4. Lastly, do you intend to upgrade your high beams too with SilverStar Halogens or another HID kit and if so what wattage?
    I see no reason why a 50W HID set would be a problem since High beam is only when you don't have opposing traffic anyway.

20. nola_Prius

nola_Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I've used kits from Mobile HID several times now and have never had a single issue, so I'll be sticking with them.

I can't give an exact distance and feel sure about it, but I'd say that the difference is definitely substantial.

Same as #2. I can't quantify it all exactly, but I love the overall improvements the HID lights bring. The intensity, the throw distance, the shade of light, etc. It's just all around better. ;)

I haven't really thought about upgrading the high beams yet. If I do, I wouldn't hesitate to use a HID kit. I rarely ever use my highs, so I'm not sure if I will upgrade or not... although I'd LOVE to see HID high beams in action. I'm sure it would be impressive.

Speaking of SilverStar, my sister just put a new set of SilverStar halogens in her Lexus SUV, and although I'm not sure of their wattage/color temp/whatever... they don't compare to my HIDs. :)