1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

5000k HID lights in Winter Gray Prius IV

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by nola_Prius, Aug 9, 2009.

1. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

This may be a dumb question, but are those ballast protected from water splash?

2. sintos

sintos Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    From HID site also told me that i need this extra equipment called "warning canceller" or "Anti-flicker capacitor" or "Canbus killer". Is this true ?

3. leeb18c

leeb18c Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The seller advertise them as waterproof so whatever that means. :) I don't think those ballasts are potted either and won't be oem quality considering the whole thing cost me $60.

4. leeb18c

leeb18c Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I don't think you need that for G3 Prius or at least no one mention about that in any of the HID upgrades. My ballast has been running without flicker and does not throw warning on console.

5. rstark18

rstark18 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    You don't need any of that but I would suggest a wiring harness.

6. rstark18

rstark18 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Could you explain that a little more (potted?).

7. leeb18c

leeb18c Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It's just covering the electronic components on the circuit board with epoxy/gel to waterproof the components so that they won't corrode and fail.

8. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

You'd be surprised the markup and some of the "budjet chinese" stuff they put in cars now a days.

In many cases, the budget Chinese stuff may be better than the hyped us OEM stuff we have......

After all, isn't it OEM bulbs and ballast we are now having issues with?

My cheap ebay HID bulbs have already outlasted my original OEM.....

I really think the consistency of quality is what wavers more than the quality itself.

I've never heard of anti flicker capacitors... anything like that should be normal hardware inside the ballast already.
    At best.. all that is, is an attempt to give stable voltage which is the ballast job anyway.

If they are trying to sell it separately, I would question buying anything from that dealer.

9. sintos

sintos Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am finally close in buying the kit from ultimatehidkits.com.
    Anyone got experience from this supplier ?
    That offer 15 years warranty and small size ballasts which sound very good to me since i have no experience in this field. And they are not that expensive as well.

10. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

I haven't personally, but isn't it quite comical "or maybe not"
    That Toyota can and does charge sooooo much for simply changing a bulb.. let alone the ballast too.

There is "not" a difference of quality to reflect the same... or we wouldn't be having all these problems would we?

Crazy stuff!... anyway... I'm sure you'll be happy with HID.. it takes a few seconds "maybe 15 - 20" to get up to full brightness when turned on cold "but who cares" but they really do light up the place nice....

What Kelvin did you decide on?

11. rstark18

rstark18 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    BTW halogen lights don't have a ballast like HID's do. Our stock halogen headlight are basically like a regular flashlight. The ballast in HID's is there to do the voltage regulation/conversion.

12. sintos

sintos Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just saw the kit from HIDExtra.com. Are you still satisfied with it? Do you think i should buy the normal or the slim it? Were there any mounting brackets included in the kit ?

13. HI MPG

HI MPG Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Sintos,

I don't want to speak for Lee18C, but I also bought my kit from HIDExtra. I purchased the 6000K kit and am completely satisfied with the it. The light output is more on the bluish side but it is still fairly white.
    I bought mine with the slim ballast, and they are very slim. I just used some heavy duty velcro and zip tied them onto the little plastic trim pieces on each side of the fender. I've attached some picts. The picture with the light on makes the color look a lot more blue than it is.

Attached Files:

14. leeb18c

leeb18c Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yeh, I'm satisfied with my 5000k kit. I just spent alot of time trying to find a good mounting place but end up removing the plastic part and making a bracket myself to mount it. IMO the regular size ballast is too big/heavy to zip tie mount to the plastic panel. If i were to buy again, i'd get the slim kit for the ease of mounting it even though it has two parts (ballast & igniter) to it.

Attached Files:

15. justadailydriver

justadailydriver New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    This question is for the hidextra.com hid kit owners.

Any issues regards to electrical problems or wiring problems after your HID kit install?

Another question, HIDEXTRA.COM kit require additional power source. (Such as having to run power and ground to the battery) OR does it use the OEM plug as the power source.

Thank you.

16. HI MPG

HI MPG Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It's been about a month since the HID installation and I haven't had any electrical or wiring issues. If anything, the relay harnesses provided with the kit tend to run on the longer side, so my problem was trying to find the room to fit all the wiring. I ran out of time during the install, so I hastily zip-tied the extra wiring along the inside of the fender. I'm hoping to have some time to go back and clean it up like lee18C.

The kit itself uses the OEM plugs as the source of power, so it doesn't need to run power and ground to battery. The OEM plug connects to the ballast which then runs a connecting harness to the bulb itself. There are some plus and minuses associated with the different set-ups, which other owners have made comment on.

17. leeb18c

leeb18c Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    no problem so far. the electrical part is very easy plug and play to the factory connector. of course you can get a relay kit if you don't want to load the factory wiring.

18. bagwell

bagwell Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
  19. justadailydriver

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Can you explain the relay kit?

20. justadailydriver

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I just found out what that was.

Is anyone actually using the relay kit?

Is it necessary?

I purchased the slim one. (I am pretty sure HIDEXTRA.COM kits are 35w hid kit and not require relay harness kit)

I installed a HID kit for my fog light in a EVO X. (I never really had a problem)