1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

55K - Injector + Mass Air Flow Service

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by jjtrindc, Nov 1, 2017.

1. jjtrindc

jjtrindc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    About to take my Prius V into the dealer for an oil change. Overall everything seems to be running fine and no noticeable issues. When I had my car in at 50K they recommended the following three services:

Toyota Injector Service
    AC Vent Service
    Mass Air Flow Service

Now I understand Vent Service is the cabin filter. I can likely do that myself.

In reading these forums, I get the sense that sticking with good gas and using Injector cleaner is enough if I'm not seeing any issues.

Similarly, the Mass Air Flow Sensor is best protected by replacing the Air Filter regularly, but doesn't need cleaning unless the check engine light comes on.

Please correct me if I'm wrong here. Doing my best to interpret from these forums with limited knowledge of the inner workings of these kinds of services.

Anything I should be considering after hitting the 50K mark?

Thanks!

2. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Do the cabin filter and call it good unless the dealer can a) show you where it is in the maintenance schedule or b) if they can demonstrate performance or mileage problems. In reality the Warranty and Maintenance manual in your glovebox shows no major work until 100 k miles other than oil changes and air/cabin/oil filters. The rest makes the dealers owner happier than he already is... 4D83D07C-14F2-40E6-9F54-E064DB1A9DD2.png

957D46B3-B883-44AD-9AC0-A885754EF1FD.png

#2 rjparker, Nov 1, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2017
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'm not sure about that. Maybe they're meaning the AC passage cleaning, which is something to consider only if you're using the AC frequently, and it's smelling funky. A good preventative maintenance for that is:

1. Use AC sparingly. Consider old school, shutting it down and cracking the windows for example.
    2. Run the vent system without AC for the last mile or two, with a decent fan speed, to get the humidity out.

And regarding the Air Filter, for sure just replace it yourself. And, don't replace it till it's really warranted, forget the schedule, just check on it's condition.

Toyota Injector Service I would pass, without hesitation.

Mass Air Flow Sensor cleaning: something to do once or twice in the vehicle's lifetime. Get the correct spray (it'll say Mass Air Flow Sensor cleaner), watch a Youtube or two on how to use it. Very simple.

I got a can of that stuff recently, did a cleaning. And bonus, I FINALLY got the volume control on our receiver's remote working properly, isopropyl alcohol had lackluster, short term results. The MAF cleaner was the naz!

4. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    They are just trying to sell expensive chemical cleaners.

Dealers frequently have a maintenance schedule different from that of the car manufacturer. Proactive yes. Profit filled, you bet.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    1) no
    2) no
    3) no

Prodigyplace likes this.
  6. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    "Recommended" services outside of the manufacturer's maintenance schedule generally fall into the category of "customer wallet cleansing".