1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

55W HIDs to replace factory 35w HIDs

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by F8L, Jan 29, 2011.

1. flareak

flareak Fleet Captain

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    wait seriously? the mini can fit in the original headlight housing without cutting the reflector?? making it super easy to put a projector in the housing????

i'm... brimming with excitement right now

2. Cloud

Cloud New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I have a 35 watt low beams and 35 watt fog lights and 55 watt high beams. Let me tell you that the 55 watt high beams seem like the Sun. 55 watt Hids are very very bright! I'd always go with brighter low beams than fogs since they are more important. Also your fogs are reflectors not projectors so adding 55 watt to fogs will be increbily bright to oncoming drivers. 35 watt for fogs already blind me. I've been high beamed from other drivers because of my 35 watt 3000k fog lights. They shine their brightness everywhere indiscrimatly. Remember that when you go with 55 watt Hids, due to their power they wash out in color so therefore a 55 watt 5000k hid will seems like a 4700k hid or a 6000k hid will seem like a 5000k hid. Keep that in mind. I talk from experience. I have a 5000k hid kit from ddm and it looks more like a 4700k hid

3. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm not 100% sure and since I don't have the halogen setup it would be different for me anyway.

I spoke with Matt at TRS and he agreed that if I wanted the best possible lighting and didn't mind a bit of extra work that that FX-R would be a better choice. I don't mind hacking up the headlight. I have a friend that is great at plastic fabrication. :)

I'm using Blazer foglights. The cutoff is very sharp and provides a solid wall of light. The stock fogs have no cutoff and the light is scattered instead of a solid circle of light (observation based on holding the fog lights in hand and shined on a wall).

The 55w kit is marginally brighter than stock HIDs on the Prius. Because the 2010+ models have projectors the difference may be much more pronounced. There is a difference but it was not nearly as good as I expected. The 6000k 55w did not wash out as much as I wanted so I put the stock Osram bulb back in and it was brighter (despite the high number of hours on these bulbs) and more white than blue. The point here is the bulbs didn't wash out as much as they claim. IMO stick with OEM bulbs. They put out more lumens.

4. flareak

flareak Fleet Captain

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ahh I see. I wanted to do the Acura TL projectors, but since the Prius is my only form of transportation... I'd have to buy some new housings to work on so I can still drive. In the end I thought it was too much money and time to spend and I think I'd totally screw it up haha!

5. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I hear ya. Those are the same reasons I have not done it yet. Thankfully my buddy is awesome within fiberglass and plastic fabrication so I'll have him do it. he is helping me mount my Blazer foglights using plastic brackets.

6. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Acura IMO makes the best projector headlights I've ever seen. If you look at them, you can see a rainbow pattern in them.

My coworker did the Lexus LS projectors on his Scion TC. Said it costed him $2000. I'm like...No thanks!

7. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I hope his crazy bill came with a jar of Vasoline or Astroglide......

8. sidecar

sidecar Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    probably chromatic aberration caused by the lenses, either on the fitment or the headlamp glass