1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

56k miles and counting. Prius advance model Reliability update

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Pdxprimeguy, Oct 20, 2018.

1. Pdxprimeguy

Pdxprimeguy Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Overall very Happy with the car’s reliability.

Considering I drive my cars more and harder then the average driver this car has handled my lead foot very well.

Here are some problems I have had:

Rain sensing automatic windshield wipers fail due to a faulty relay. $500 fix and Toyota Corp. fixed it even out of warranty.

Crack in my front black plastic radar housing nose. I just used black electric tape and it works amazing. Hard to see it too.

I change my own oil about every 7k since 30% of my miles is electric.

I use a 240v charger. Which helps a lot for my driving habits.

I did have hesitation but that was due to a very dirty air filter which I cleaned well and re-installed.

I have Plans to replace spark plugs and CVT transmission fluid at 100k.

Not a fan of the screen. I like more knobs.

The mechanics and engine of the car are great. I am not a huge fan of their seats. But a seat cushion has done me wonders for my long drives.

Not a fan of the TPMS. If you put snow tires on with rims that do not have a TPMS, then Drive for a few months with tpms light on. When you switch back to oem regular tires dealer or tire shop will have to reset. User can not reset like you think.

This car seems well built overall.

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    100% agreement, especially tactile knobs/sliders, that you can find/use without the need to take your eyes off the road.

Looking through my son's Mazda CX-5 Owner's Manual, apparently if you've got their TPMS sensors (which I've found in Canada for $35 CDN) on an extra set of tires, just a few minutes driving after the swap, the car recognizes the new sensors. It may need one initial intro by the dealership, but after that, easy DIY.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    at how many miles did the hesitation start? my air filter is still pristine

4. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    West or East coast Portland?

5. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    PDX is west coast Portland ;).

It’s their airport call sign(y).

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  6. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    i was thinking west coast air is cleaner. Maybe some dirt roads?

Raytheeagle likes this.
  7. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I just did the egr circuit for the daughter of a member here about a month back who lives in Bend, and it was definitely used off of paved surfaces:cool:.

I still had some dirt in my ear the day after from dropping the splash shield and not expecting as much dirt as rained down:eek:.

But the city of Roses is a beautiful city that has some clean air(y).

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  8. PT Guy

PT Guy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    -Agree about the touch screen.
    -I'd always replace the air filter unless I was stuck to find one. They aren't made to be cleaned well. There is the possibility of an air blast opening the pores larger than intended.
    -Always a very good idea to change the transmission fluid periodically. The transmission fluid serves both as a gear & bearing lubricant and as a hydraulic medium. It can't do its job if oxidized or the additives depleted or otherwise not as good as new. Also renew your brake fluid--it absorbs moisture and gets a lower boiling point. (In other cars, renew the power steering fluid periodically as well for the same reasons as the ATF.) Renew the coolants on schedule--the anticorrosion and other additives become depleted. Run a can of fuel system cleaner through the gas periodically.
    -How soon will you be ready for new tires? My choice was Bridgestone DriveGuard run flat tires. 3rd generation technology. Said to be good for 50 miles at 50 mph without air (then they'd be junk). Ride & noise are OK. Heavier than OE. Slightly less efficiency. Greater reliability. Not great snow traction. A new all-weather tire is the Goodyear Assurance WeatherReady. Said to have great wet traction. Snow certified. 60k tread life warranty. Every tire design is a compromise. The choice is yours.

9. Usle

Usle Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I put on my gen2 wheels with studded snows, no tpms, when I put the summer wheels back on the tpms popped right on??

10. CharlesH

CharlesH CA HOV Decal #5 on former PiP

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    My understanding is that the transmission fluid in any Prius powertrain, including the Prime, serves only as a lubricant and coolant (the coolant function being mainly for the electric motors). There are no gear shifting mechanisms to be hydraulically actuated or anything comparable to a torque converter.

#10 CharlesH, Oct 21, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2018
  11. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Toyota Canada says to change brake fluid every 3 years or 48K kms (30K miles), whichever comes first. Toyota USA says nothing.

To be fair, Toyota USA says check your driver's floor mat every 6 months or 5000 miles. We get no guidance regarding that. :cry::ROFLMAO:

alexcue and m8547 like this.