1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

57011 radio unit has certain features not functioning

Discussion in 'Prius v Audio and Electronics' started by Matthew Clair, Jul 8, 2021.

1. Matthew Clair

Matthew Clair Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    Howdy, I have a 2012 Prius V with the 57011 radio.

The radio works fine.
    The phone and apps do not work. Push the button. Nothing.
    No navigation. APP button does not work.

Phone button on steering wheel also non responsive.

Strangely the AUX power plug in also is not working below radio.

No fuses appear to be out.

bad unit?
    Any help is appreciated.

2. gromittoo

gromittoo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    How long have you had this car? Have you always had the problem, or did it start one day? When you say the radio works, do you get HD radio?

My first thought is that you bought a Prius V trim level two, and the previous owner tried to upgrade the MFD (MultiFuction Display) from the stock 57010 to a 57011 to get GPS and Satellite radio. I successfully did the same thing with my 2013 two.

The problem with such an "upgrade" is that the 57011 needs an "expansion box" (Made by Harmon Kordon) in order to work properly. The 57010 from a trim level two does not have GPS, Satellite Radio or Entune, so there is no expansion box.

A lot of eBay sellers just sell you the main unit (made by Panasonic), without the expansion box. Your symptoms are consistent with a missing expansion box (or a dead one). The expansion box runs the navigation and the Entune software, and anything you access by hitting the "Apps" button..

Below is a picture I grabbed of the rear view of a typical Toyota MFD including the expansion box. Many ebay sellers don't realize how important that box on the bottom is. They assume if you need the 57011, you already have the expansion box. In this picture, the seller knows what he is selling, since the listing not only includes the expansion box, but it also includes the jumper cable between the two boxes. Note that the picture is not a 57011, but a similar unit for a 2016 Prius V.

You can pull your unit out fairly easily. There are videos, but I can help you figure it out if you need instructions. I remember it became obvious how to do it once I removed the glovebox.

There is another possibility: you may need to upgrade the firmware in one or both boxes. The upgrade involves booting the box from a USB stick. I did it, and I was able to download the update from the internet or Toyota, for free. There is a secret set of steps you can do that will reveal a secret diagnostic screen on the MFD (see below). From that screen, you can find the current software versions.

From another post I made, here are the instructions to get the software version diagnostic screen:

You can find the diagnostic screen:
    Someone posted it on this forum but the diagnostic screen on the radio is very easy to pull up:
    - Switch the car to on or auxiliary, hold down the car button on the head unit and cycle the parking lights on and off 4 times rapidly.
    - A diagnostic menu will pop up on your radio.
    - Click on the function check / setting then vehicle signal and you can see your battery voltage.
    - Click on the (software versions?), and the screen will display the SW version info of both boxes.
    On that Diagnostic screen, you can see the software version of the main unit, and the expansion box. I think it says the main unit is made by Panasonic, and the extension box is made by Harmon Kordon. If you are lucky, the Toyota part numbers will be displayed as well.​

My 2013 Prius V is not at home right now, or I would post what I see on that screen on my working 57011. Post what you see, and I will compare.

BackOfMFD.JPG

icyrius and Tim Jones like this.
  3. gromittoo

gromittoo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I just upgraded my fully functional 57011 to a newer new unit? Want to buy it? I'll even include the aftermarket GPS antenna.