1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

5k mile catch can and engine flush update

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by JSB_99, May 5, 2022.

1. JSB_99

JSB_99 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Just wanted to give an update on my catch can install after roughly 5K miles. Bought my 2010 with 144K miles in late January and did the full EGR circuit cleaning with in a couple days of purchase along with new PCV, plugs and water pump and thermostat since I got a check engine light for the pump on the 3 hour drive home from purchasing it. When I pulled the throttle body there was a lot of oil under it in the intake which I know is normal. Drove it for a few days and pulled the throttle body again and the oil was back so decided to do the catch can asap. I check the oil weekly and the level has never gone down from when i did the oil change at 144K so it's not burning oil so far. the can I installed was the rulline with the stainless messh balled up inside it.

Did an oil change today after roughly 5K miles and the dipstick still showed about 3/4 on the way below the min and max marks and the catch can had about 1/4 to 1/2 inch of liquid in it some of which was water or condensation. Pulled the throttle body again to see what was hiding under it and there was essentially nothing under the throttle body. There wasn't any visible accumulation but wiping the intake with a rag did get a little wet with oil but nothing major.

Before doing the oil change and checking the catch can I ran a can of BG EPR engine flush for 20 minutes. Before I added the flush the oil on the dip stick still looked fairly good. Not new but still brownish When I drained the oil after wards it was horrible. The oil was dark black like I had just drained the oil from a diesel engine. When I emptied the drain pan afterwards which was clean before I started there was a lot of grit or debris visible on the bottom of the pan.

Brucetafer and StarCaller like this.
  2. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Where'd the black come from? Pistons?

3. JSB_99

JSB_99 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have Idea but they claim it’s supposed to clean the piston rings.

4. 1prius

1prius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    With 140k the grit was likely oil varnish from the walls of the block and undersides of the pistons. . Anything dissolved from the rings would be very fine.

5. 1prius

1prius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    With 140k the grit was likely oil varnish from the walls of the block and undersides of the pistons. . Anything dissolved from the rings would be very fine.

6. 1prius

1prius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III