1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

5k Mile service resulting in lower MPG

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by 15SuperPrius, Jun 2, 2019.

1. 15SuperPrius

15SuperPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I agree - I’m taking into consideration the elements, driving conditions, etc. I agree that no 2 tanks will be alike; however, in close to two years of ownership, the discrepancy hasn’t been much. Maybe, as others stated, the car may have been kept on/ready for an extended period of time during the last service, affecting the values. I’ll keep my eye on it, as nothing else seems/feels out of the ordinary - it runs like a champ.

2. 15SuperPrius

15SuperPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Good news folks:

I cycled the parking brake multiple times as recommended, but it did not make any discernible difference so I do not believe it had gotten stuck; then just for giggles, I filled up my tank (since it was down to 1 bar), reset the dash mpg monitor as I usually do, verified that all tires had the intended psi, and took the car for a drive - lo and behold, the mpg's are back to what I'm used to seeing.

I'm not sure if the reduced mpg's may have been a combination of the dealer leaving the car on for an extended period of time, with a possible bad tank of gas, plus some driving with the tires inflated to 35F and 33R (until I inflated them to 40F and 38R some miles after the service was performed).

Also, all four wheels felt the same way after my 30+ minute drive - barely warm to the touch.

Thank you all for your input and recommendations! (y);)

Raytheeagle, bisco and Mendel Leisk like this.
  3. 15SuperPrius

15SuperPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yep, she’s most definitely back. This is about 70% highway and 30% city driving.

Attached Files:

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  4. 15SuperPrius

15SuperPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    And it keeps getting sweeter - air pressure seems to have been the culprit a few weeks back. Last tank ended up at about 49mpg combined and there were times when I was driving it a bit more enthusiastically. This tank is off to a good start!

Attached Files:

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Just editorial: should that read "calculated"?

Raytheeagle likes this.
  6. 15SuperPrius

15SuperPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Excellent point - no, not calculated, just going by values as displayed; however, the tank still had at least 1-2 gallons in it - the gas bar wasn't even flashing yet. I will try not to forget and maybe calculate actual mpg's over a few tanks to see how the values compare.

Mendel Leisk likes this.