1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

5K on The Blueberry... a little MPG disappointment.

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by SoGalinSoCal, Aug 8, 2012.

1. SoGalinSoCal

SoGalinSoCal New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Ok, "disappointment" is maybe a strong word, since averaging 46MPGs is double what my Saturn Ion gets. I just thought that we'd average somewhere closer to 50MPGs, since 6mi of my 14mi commute are traveled at <40mph (mostly in EV mode). It's only making that commute M-F, then we drive it around town on the weekends, but about 50% of the weekends are city miles.

We aren't hypermilers by any stretch, so I guess I shouldn't expect so much? #SpoiledNewPriusOwner :rolleyes:

2. gmcneil05

gmcneil05 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Trying to stay in EV mode more may be hurting your milage. You might just leave it in regular mode and let the car do what it wants.

3. Ryephile

Ryephile The Technophile

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    EV mode is awesome for short term fuel economy, however only if you cycle enough to keep the battery charged, otherwise the engine will have to both power the car and charge the battery, sucking down the gas. There's this magic scenario where you accelerate in the top end of the Eco zone and then cruise under EV for perhaps a half mile to mile, then decel optimally to regen. If you do it right the battery will stay within a narrow range of charge and be sustained. Repeat until satisfied.

Too many stops will kill FE. Ditto high speed [e.g. Interstates]. Averaging 46.8 mpg with little regard to driving style is still awesome.

4. Valdi

Valdi New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    There are some great youtube videos that give very easy instructions on how to increase your MPGs.
    Here are a few things I do that help.
    - Do not accelerate too fast. If the people behind you think you are going to slow, don't worry, they will pass you.
    - Do not accelerate when going up a hill....you will put yourself in the red every time. Maintain your speed, and then accelerate when you going down the back of the hill.
    - The speed limit is a limit...not the minimum.
    - If you see a stoppage in traffic ahead, or a red light, just let off the gas and coast. If people behind you get mad because you aren't accelerating to a stop, well, that is their problem.

Just a few tips. There are tons more.

5. WD0AFQ

WD0AFQ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    If you want to average 50 plus, on your commute to work, you can. I average 50 on a 26 mile run of interstate and 2.5 in town. I drive the posted 65 plus one or two. You don't have to be a hypermiler to do it either. The more you pay attention to what is going on the more your mileage will increase.
    Life is good in this car
    Dan

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    your topography matters.

7. ProximalSuns

ProximalSuns Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Car is rated for 50 mpg in regular driving mode so I think you are right to be disappointed. All the suggested hypermiling techniques should put in the 50+ range. You would have drive it very aggressively to average 45 mpg.

You might ask the dealer to take a look to make sure there is not some setting that's off.

8. Revan86

Revan86 Animal nerd and alt car guy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I have found 42-45mph when hold right at the the mid point line will give you about 75-80mpg. if you can hold that you will be happier I think. Well happier if your not like that baby on T.V. and DO like having money.