1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

1. prius1driver

prius1driver New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    I dropped off the C for 5K service today. The only thing they did is tire rotation! No oil change and nothing!

I was told by the service guy it needs to change the oil every 10k, NOT 5k.

Is this true?

2. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yes.

iPhone ?

3. orangenerd

orangenerd Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    yes, it's in the owners manual. Toyota has changed the oil change intervalto 10k on many of its cars...i think it has something to do with the new oils and new engines

4. rjdriver

rjdriver Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three

After my 5m mile tire rotation, I drove to the nearest Express Lube and had the oil and filter changed. I felt much better with a new supply of Castrol 0-20 in there. They say that 10m miles may be fine between changes with synthetic oil, but I still think a break in change at 5m is a wise investment.

5. prius1driver

prius1driver New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    If Toyota says 10k, then I think we should trust them. It's just too much reputation for them to lose if they screw this up. Hope my assumption is right.

6. south central

south central Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Yep, 'tis true!
    Not to worry, you didn't waste your time. It's a great idea to keep your tires rotated, for even wear and longer life.
    :)
    Deb

7. hexcode

hexcode New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Does the car use synthetic oil by default or is that some you can switch to yourself?

8. south central

south central Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    It has 0W-20 synthetic motor oil originally from the factory. The manual suggests it's use at 10K changes, I would imagine so as to not void the warranty.

Deb

9. vernon birdman

vernon birdman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    What 5 K service is that. The sticker on my windshield says 8 K????!

10. prius1driver

prius1driver New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    The little Toyota Care sticker said "5k" on mine.

11. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    5K miles in New York, 8K kilometers in Canada!

But I think you knew that...

JJay likes this.
  12. chrispdx

chrispdx Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Well, if this is the case, then I'm going to be a little pissed off, since my dealer made point after point to tell me about oil changes every 5k miles, and in fact sold me an extra two-year maintenance service plan for 5 oil changes/5k service visits, which, given that the car REQUIRES synthetic oil, penciled out as worth it. I will have to have a little chat with the service guy.

13. jgestar

jgestar Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I hope I'm seriously mistaken here, but the dealer SOLD you two years of maintenance? As in charged you money? The Prius C comes with a two year complementary maintenance plan, that includes the factory recommended oil changes. Toyota Auto Maintenance Manuals and Car Services Information At least two of those five oil changes, and all of the 5K tire rotations and vehicle checks, were already paid for by Toyota.

If the dealer charged you for service that Toyota provided for free, I wouldn't talk with the service guy. I would talk with Toyota Motor Corporation. Then talk to the dealership owner about restitution.

Tom

14. fgp

fgp Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    my friend, believe it or not im worried about the aftermarket oil change you had done. my understanding is that our car has specific oil requirements. for me, i do what the maker of the vehicle says. its a warranty issue in the making. when i had my benz i remember that if you did not use the oil type recommended the engine warranty was voided. so maybe just next time at your official 10k change switch back to the manufacturer recommendation

15. Iconn127

Iconn127 Master Diagnostic Technician

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    with toyota as long as you use 0w-20 oil and the proper filter there is no voiding of factory warranty. it is stated under powertain there is allowance for one oil change with 5w-20 as long as the car receives 0w-20 at the next interval. it is due to the clearance of the pistons and cylinder walls that anything thicker will cause premature wear and damages resulting in oil consumption. i myself, my dealerships lead master tech, changed my oil at the first 5k just because of break in (paid for the parts labor free), and will continue with my prepaid first 5 services in following.

16. rjdriver

rjdriver Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Toyota does not specify a brand of oil, only the viscosity, 0w-20, which I used.

17. chrispdx

chrispdx Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    No, they charged me for two ADDITIONAL years of maintenance. As in, years 3 and 4. Doing the math for how much oil changes would cost me for synthetic oil every 5k miles made it seem worth it. But now I'm not sure if they'll only be changing the oil every 10k miles.

18. Iconn127

Iconn127 Master Diagnostic Technician

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    well if the maintenance plan states 5000mi OIL CHANGE intervals, you should redeem them so they do not spoil. seen this happen on cars before with 10k intervals and they purchase the autocare package and it pays for 5k intervals and not ten.

19. chrispdx

chrispdx Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    The maintenance manual stats that oil changes to be done every 5k miles "IF EVERYDAY DRIVING CONDITIONS ARE IN A DUSTY OR DIRTY CLIMATE/ENVIRONMENT". What does that mean? I'm just going to insist that they change the oil every 5k whether they think they need to or not. I've paid for it.

20. SILVERCwSUN

SILVERCwSUN Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    When we took delivery of our C, the salesman pointed out that our C came from the factory with synthetic oil. He further stated that we would only need the oil changed every 10k. I opted out of the maintenance plan, I have been told that these plans are "honey pots" for the dealers, pure profit tacked on to your payment.