1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

5w20 vs 0w20 in Canada for 2010 and 2011 models

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by CivicQc, Aug 27, 2010.

1. CivicQc

CivicQc The world needs more prius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I went to the dealer for an oil change today. They used 5w20. The canadian version of the Prius owner's guide says 5w20 or 0w20 can be used. The mechanic showed me a large table, showing oil type to be used for many Toyota models and model years. It said:
    Toyota Prius 2010: 5w20 or 0w20
    Toyota Prius 2011: 0w20 only

Is the engine of the model year 2011 different from 2010? Why would they change the oil requirement for model 2011 w/r to 2010?

2. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The 5W-20 was allowed so you could use other than a full synthetic oil, AFAIK a non-synthetic 0W-20 isn't available. My guess is that 0W-20 is gaining in popularity so it's easier for them to drop 5W-20 off the list now. There would be no harm in using 5W-20 except slightly higher fuel consumption until the engine gets u to temperature.

Also their two oil change intervals depending on which oil you are using is confusing.

1 person likes this.
  3. energyandair

energyandair Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    It probably does not matter much, particularly in summer, if you stay with Toyota Canada's 8,000km (5,000 mile) OCI.

I asked for 0-20 to make sure I got synthetic, partly with a view to possibly running 16,000 km OCI like the rest of the world. I'll have to see if I find the time to chase Toyota Canada on the issue and can get a sensible response regarding the warranty.

1 person likes this.
  4. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    The spec. for 0W20 in the 2011 is to ensure meeting the new fuel efficiency specs. That is it. Keeps the govt. go-getters away.

5. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    0w20 also permits the 10,000 mile drain interval in the US - 5w20 requires a 5k mile interval. It was already known that 2011 would eliminate the 5w20 option - for drain interval and FE. It was a big push in the beginning to get it adopted for 2010.

I don't know how it works in Canada, but I'd fight for the synth option to extend the drain interval.

1 person likes this.
  6. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I'm still amazed that in a country that actually requires a 0W-xx oil due to climate (Many parts of Canada can see -40 winters, most parts of the continental US will not), there is still confusion about the 0W vs 5W

I've always believed in matching a given viscosity to ambient conditions. Seems to work well

Of course, Toyota Canada also dragged its collective heels on the entire debacle of running a straight SAE 90 in the rear axle of early build FJ Cruisers. Now THERE is a brilliant idea - factory fill a weak rear axle with SAE 90, and ship it to a country that will easily see -40 winters

7. 007

007 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Here in Canada, my understanding is that using 0w allows you to go about 16,000km (10,000mi) before you need an oil change.
    I took a peek at your 2010 photos Rick, VERY nice, I'm getting my Blizzard Pearl next April 2011 and I spent some time enjoying your photos, inside and out. Much better than any Toyota brochures. I loved the comparsions with the older Prius's too.
    Great job. It looked so great sitting in the Arizona sun, hope mine will shine just as brightly in our Nova Scotia sun, ha. thanks again.:D

8. 007

007 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    however....-40 is a bit extreme, don't you think? Even if you were in conditions like that for any length of time, you would have to be living wayyyyyyy up north and would you even have a Prius? A 4x4 might be more useful in those kind of cold winter conditions, I would think?:confused:

9. Dominic

Dominic New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

be careful! when i bought the car on Aug 4th, i specifically asked the salesman (who had to go ask a mechanic) about oil changes. he said that it should be done ever 8 000km. when i mentionned that i usually put synthetic in, (i had never heard about the 0W-20 at this point) he went back to check with the mechanic, and said that the period to change the oil was still the same. now, i have seen paperwork from the US stating that if you use the 0W-20, the time between oil changes will go to 16000km, but nothing in Canada... you might want to double check... i plan on going for my 8000km maintenance, and try to argue my point, but not sure if i'll win it or not...

10. Dominic

Dominic New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

well... -40 is not too common in Halifax, however, it is pretty common in Quebec, some part of ontario, and DEFINITELY the prairies... which is where he seem to be from... so it is higly possible... just think of Feb here... it can get to -30 for about 3-4 weeks... and that's with the ocean right beside to warm us up! ;-/

however, i have to admit, -40 in quebec felt much warmer than the -30 in halifax! (dry cold vs humid)

11. 007

007 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    ok, thanks for the heads up. I'm going to contact my salesman right now in Port Hawkesbury (Tri-Mac Toyota) and see what he can find out for me. I'd also be interested to hear what you find out when you get to 8000. Keep us posted.

12. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Yeah, I guess Winnipeg is "way up north"

Once I blocked the grille on my Prius, it worked just fine in winter at temps down to -40. Then again, the large Prius fleet that Duffy's Taxi operates in Winnipeg also appear to work fine without grille blocking, but they are probably left in Ready the entire shift

Once I put the studded tires on my Prius, it actually became driveable on typical city streets in winter. But there is no comparison to my FJ in winter

Yes, I also run studded snow tires on my FJ: factory studded Nokian SUV tires

13. 007

007 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    No disrespect intended, but do you REALLY get -40 conditions on a regular basis out in Winnipeg?

Please excuse my ignorance, I'm from Nova Scotia so don't usually see really cold temps like that, but can I ask you this......with studded winter tires, is the Prius a good handling car in winter roads? Its so low to the ground, I would think it might get hung up easily? I drive a AWD Pontiac Torrent now, and will be switching to a BP Prius next April so I'm kind of looking ahead to the winter of 2011, hoping it'll be a friendly one, with no snow and warm temps.:)

14. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    You're kidding, right? We may not be the Arctic Circle, but Winnipeg got the nickname "Winterpeg" for a good reason. This site for immigrants pretty well sums it up

The Climate and Weather of Winnipeg, Manitoba

Other sites

Canadian Winter - Winnipeg

No, we don't have solid -40 days and nights for weeks on end. But we can see -40 weather, no problem

I got the studded tires for my '04 Prius because it had unusually sensitive traction control, and would remain motionless at intersections, which IMHO was dangerous. Road deicing salt stops working at about -25 C, so once a cold snap settles in, icy intersections remain icy

Sure, they can spread sand, but the wind can blow it right off. With the studded tires, my Prius became a very good winter car. Like any car, it can bog down in deep snow drifts

Yes, I run studded tires on my FJ Cruiser too

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The last photo, if you look carefully in the upper left, you will notice my natural gas Reznor garage heater. Getting too old and miserable to deal with cold vehicles

15. 007

007 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    hey, thanks for the sites....and the info. You've got a pretty hardy looking FJ Cruiser there, bet ya that would tear through the snow.
    well, for all those who hate snow & cold as much as I do, lets hope for another warm and mild winter, unless you're into the winter sports, if so, then play on!! enjoy.

16. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Winter sports are HIGHLY overrated!

17. Airbalancer

Airbalancer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    oil or syn oil I change the oil every 10,000 km

syn oil does make for easier starting in cold weather

18. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The prairies don't see -40° over a solid week but it can dip past that over a few nights (Edmonton was the 2nd coldest place on earth last Dec when the mercury dipped to -46.1°C. The coldest place was a small village in Siberia which recorded -46.3°C. Windchill was closer to -60 at Edmonton Int'l that morning). The prairies don't have a large body of water to regulate temperatures so cold air that pushes southward will just sit like fog in a valley until something pushes it out of the way.

Many 2010 Toyota models are switching over to 0W20. There's no change in the engine. It's probably a regulation issue.