1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

6,000k color temperature light bulb

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by evebill8, Nov 22, 2012.

1. evebill8

evebill8 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Hi folk,

I do not want to spend $1000+ to put the LED light. Do you know where I can get the 6000k head light bulb. The one on the amazon is 4000k which is not white enough.

Thanks in advance!

2. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    4300k really is the best for brightness. Amazon has 3 brands at least for 6000k. You need to search harder. I bought the mid priced Kensun. They were a pain to install. The bulb barely fit in the socket.

3. Electric Charge

Electric Charge Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    XenonSupply seems to be a popular choice for HID kits, and they seem to be very high quality, several members here have them. I considered them myself, but 1) mine is a lease and 2) 6000K isn't as good as the OEM 4300K visibility wise, although they look nicer.

4. evebill8

evebill8 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Oh, I am sorry! I don't mean HID. I just want to swap a halogen light bulb with the color temp 6000k.

5. JMT

JMT Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Personally, I think that's a bad decision. Your lights will be worse than the stock halogen bulbs.

6. evebill8

evebill8 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    K, I do not know that. Thanks!

7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you want the HID look, Silverstars are the way to go but the light won't be better (it just looks white).

If you want a brighter bulb, Phillips X-Treme Power works but it's not as white.

I've used both and prefer the Phillips.

8. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The K color achieved with a standard halogen is by painting over the bulbs. You can imagine that light output will go down. You don't want that.

10 years ago, I bought Silverstars and was very impressed with the light output and color. At the time, I thought I got such a good deal, HID look without the $250 pricetag. They blew out less than a year later. Let's say it's my terrible installation that caused such a short lifespan. I still don't recommend them though because they cost $40. There are HID kits on ebay cheaper than that. Even my admittedly low quality Kensun HID's are only some $15 more.