1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

6 day old seats - need to remove stain already

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by PFlat, Feb 5, 2013.

1. PFlat

PFlat Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    ah the joys of a BRAND SPANKING NEW car and having children. my teenager left a scented candle on the back seat. it was dry - had never been lit. so I don't need to remove WAX...

but it left a greasy oily spot. bah!! when I google "remove candle oil spot" or some variant, I get basically how to remove WAX.

I also searched the forum 1st but didn't find anything relevant. sorry if this is a total newb question...but anyone got any ideas on how to get this greasy candle spot off the back seat? :/

2. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Following. Did you try any if the household spot removers like Oxyclean.

3. PFlat

PFlat Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    thanks for the reply! I haven't tried anything yet. I got in the car, noticed the candle left overnight, noticed the stain, then took the kids to school and went to work. I'll buy whatever product you guys think will work haha but no - i haven't done anything yet

4. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I would not wait to long for the spot to set. Get your butt to the store. I can't think of anything. Perhaps the candle manufacturer has a suggestion or the auto parts store. In 90% of cases a mild detergent and warm water does the trick. If that does not work there are plenty of stronger things to choose from.

5. PFlat

PFlat Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    thanks for the suggestion!

JMD likes this.
  6. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    any kind of non-toxic all purpose cleaner will work fine... But it always is better to clean it right away and not wait... I use a green cleaner made by clorox. It's cheap smells lemony and you can use alot of it without risk to your kids breathing it!

PFlat and JMD like this.
  7. PFlat

PFlat Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    excellent! thanks!

8. PFlat

PFlat Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Update: I emailed the dealer. They wanted me to come in. I can't til Friday. They warned me there "would be a charge" but did not specify.

Being a typical guy i took things into my own hands and used what we had at home: "LA's Totally Awesome Spot and Stain Remover".

The stain had faded (evaporated?) significantly on its own, which was a little weird I thought. I followed the instructions and used just a little cleaner.

2 hours later and I cannot see it at all. Its totally gone. So - crisis averted.

My wife wanted me to wait and go to the dealer fri. I didn't want to. I'm kinda like that. Sometimes it hurts me but this time it seemed to have worked out.

JMD likes this.
  9. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Congrats. There are a few fabric protection sprays that can repell many stains before they set. If you have kids and they eat in the car It may be a good investment. The dealer will charge you an arm and a Leg so avoid that scenario. Just get the stuff online or an auto parts store and apply while the car is fairly new. This is an example.

Amazon.com: 3M Scotchgard Auto Interior Fabric Protector, 10-Ounce: Home Improvement

PFlat likes this.
  10. Chris R

Chris R New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Try Goo Gone or Goof Off... It works great on things like that and won't stain the upholstery.

PFlat likes this.