1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

6 Disc Changer will not play CDs

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by nervyrocks, Nov 30, 2011.

1. nervyrocks

nervyrocks New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello, I'm new here. I just got my used 2004 Prius two days ago! I've been stalking these forums for about a month while I was researching the car. I'm absolutely in love with my new car, with one exception. My 6 disc changer will not play ANY cd, store bought or home made. There are no error messages, and the cds load and eject perfectly. When I put a cd in, the cd number display lights up red and won't play. It's very strange because when I drove it off of the lot, the first cd I put in worked beautifully. I switched to FM and haven't been able to listen to a cd since.

Like I said, I've been lurking and the only other 6 disc changer problems I've found are with cds also being stuck inside. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    A few other posters have mentioned trouble with the 6 disk changer. These sorts of problems are not unique to the Prius, and disk changers are more prone to problems than single disk units. I have never heard of anyone successfully repairing one of the Prius units. It doesn't mean it can't be done, but the normal approach is to replace the entire changer.

Tom

3. jpadc

jpadc Type before I think too often

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This one is a bit strange, can you hear the drive motor/ disk spinning? From the limited looks I've seen inside the units that people have disassembled it is a direct drive motor so perhaps just the motor is stuck and you might be able to coerce it to start up by vibrating it (i.e. pounding on it). I'd try taking the dash panels off (lots of direction here on PC) and taping on it. If you do get it moving, I'd let it play for awhile and hopefully it will still have some useful life....

As Tom said, however, if you have to take it apart, you're not likely to be able to ever replace just that motor.

Good luck and welcome to PC

Bob

4. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    When disks load and spin, but do not play, a common problem is some sort of failure in the optical portion of the system. A dead laser, bad focusing servo, or just dirt on the lens. You can try a lens cleaning CD, but more often than not this sort of problem is unrepairable.

Tom

5. Calle

Calle New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I too have a non workind cd changer. What I have concluded is that dust and dirt gets in there and destroys everything. In your case, you probably have a dirty lens. You cant really clean it without taking the entire unit apart. In my case I cant even eject or insert a CD. They sell used units on ebay for about $100- $200 and it can be installed in about 20 minutes by a professional or an hour by a handy person. I bet you live in a dusty climate.

6. Calle

Calle New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Oh, also, I could be wrong, in which case, a good idea is to to disconect the battery and reset the audio system. I was able to get my CD player working in the past by doing this. Also, try turning the car on without your foot on the brake, then press play and as it starts to cycle, turn the car on. If these dont work, you have a dirty something