1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

6 months, 30,000 mile review

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by soldierguy, Nov 5, 2016.

1. soldierguy

soldierguy Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've had my '16 Prius Two Eco for six months and 30,000 miles, so I figured it was time for a review.

I'll get the fuel economy question out of the way first. 54.1 mpg indicated on the dash, 51.4 actual mpg using Fuelly. To put that in some sort of context, I'll describe my commute. Roughly 230 miles round trip daily, 95% highway, 1500 ft. elevation gain going to work, typically there's a 20+ mph headwind on most of the way home at the end of the day, with a temperature range of anywhere from the mid 40's up to 105, lots of defroster use in the morning, lots of AC use on the way home, and I'll usually set the cruise control somewhere between 68-74 mph, with the faster section being the half of the drive closest to work. As a sidebar, on the rare days when I don't have the headwind coming home and I don't need AC, I'll see my indicated mpg for the 115 mile commute home hit 60 mpg (typical indicated is 49 for going home) so that headwind combined with AC use definitely uses more gas. Oh and the aero hubcaps are sitting in the garage...I know they're supposed to help with aerodynamics, but I don't like how they look.

With the fuel economy out of the way....

Overall it's a great commuter vehicle, and I'm glad that I chose it for the commute. It's a supremely competent car for eating up the miles. It's comfortable, mostly quiet (depending on the road surface and wind conditions), and does not leave me feeling beat up or fatigued in any way from the drive.

Tires: Mine has the Toyo Nanoenergy tires. With a 320 treadwear rating, I thought I'd have replaced them by now, but given what they look like, I'm thinking they'll last 45-50K miles. No odd wear patterns, and they seem to be holding up well, although I have noticed that they're getting slightly noisier as they wear...but most tires do that.

I hate the climate controls. 8 buttons (that are indistinguishable by feel) and three switches to do what 3 round knobs and 1-2 buttons could do. I hate that I have to look at it in order to do something...it would be safer and easier if I could operate it by feel. I hate that it is inconsistent...sometimes turning off the defroster puts it into automatic mode, sometimes not, sometimes when changing one thing it does something else that I don't want it to do...it is a daily irritation, and causes me to have to look away from the road more than I should have to.

I'm not a fan of the touch screen...give me buttons on the dash rather than virtual switches, so I can operate it by feel while driving and not have to look at it. This is less bothersome than the climate controls because there are some redundant buttons on the steering wheel, but it's still a minor irritant.

Nothing has gone wrong with the car in 30,000 miles. A little hatch rattle was solved with some closed-cell foam tape, and an under-dash buzzing was solved the same way. One time I got a little screeching noise just after a cold start and I started rolling, but it never happened again. Once, the car didn't shut down properly when pressing the power button, but turning it on then off again cleared whatever fault was going on, and it's never done it again. Hasn't used a drop of oil, seats are still in great condition with no visible wear...it's handling the commuter duties very, very well.

I do wish that it sat a little higher...I scraped the underside on a tall speed bump, and I have to enter and exit my driveway at an angle to avoid scraping. Another inch of ground clearance would eliminate that. But I understand why it sits low...aerodynamics & fuel economy. I'd take a small hit in fuel economy for a slightly higher ride height.

The sun visors are useless when the sun is coming from the side, which happens to me every day on my way home from work (and to a lesser degree on the way to work). A little sliding extension would be great.

The headlights are fantastic, which is great because now that the days are shorter, roughly half of my commute is done in darkness. I've adjusted them downward because I was constantly getting flashed by other drivers, but even after the adjustment, I'll still get flashed once or twice a week. That's a small price for the fantastic visibility they provide.

That's what jumps out at me after 6 months & 30,000 miles. Again...it's a great commuter vehicle.

#1 soldierguy, Nov 5, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2016
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    well written and objective, thanks!(y)

RCO likes this.
  3. yeldogt

yeldogt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I agree on the climate control -- the last generation was much better. Same witht he audio -- the black of the new generation makes it very difficult to see the controls

RCO likes this.
  4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Amen!

3rd gen is similar, all these "improvements" seem more to impress gullible buyers, and cut corners. Traditional, tactile controls, that you can operate without taking your eyes off the road, are sorely missed. The current systems are ill-thought out garbage.

You're really piling on the miles, impressive. We've got barely more than that (64,000 kms), coming up on 6 years ownership, lol.

#4 Mendel Leisk, Nov 5, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2016
    grape808 and RCO like this.
  5. Todd Ogles

Todd Ogles New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Tesla Model S
    Model:
    N/A
    I love my 2016 Prius. I don't have the Eco model though. I've got 9000 miles from march 2016 to nov 2016 and I consistently get 50 mpg pretty much no matter how I drive it. I've gotten as little as 48 on one tank, most are 50, sometimes 49 but I have seen 52 and 54 once before.

Plus 1 on the headlight issue. I absolutely love the bright lights, hands down the best headlights I have ever had with any car. However, I am constantly getting flashed to turn off my bright lights when low beams are on, it's super annoying. Last night as an example I drove for about an hour and got flashed at least 20 times. The low beams are way too bright and I doubt an adjustment will help. I plan on having the dealer look at it on my 10k service.

Plus 1 on the dash rattle. I had this intermittent rattle and I could not figure it out. On my 5k device the dealer heard it on a drive and found and fixed it. It was a ecu type of device under the driver side dash and the mount had a loose screw on it. They tightened it and put some foam and tape on there I guess to resolve it.

RCO likes this.
  6. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Good review!

RCO likes this.
  7. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Excellent detailed review. Thank you very much.

8. gvp1995

gvp1995 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    I too live in CA, and I know even half an hour drive with the sun on the left could be a torture. I solved it with a simple and cheap extender. Please see this thread:

What to do with the sun? | PriusChat

It really works. I don't know how I would do without.

soldierguy likes this.
  9. 'LectroFuel

'LectroFuel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I bought the extender too. I love it because now I don't get a headache whenever the sun is anywhere but in front of the car.

10. 'LectroFuel

'LectroFuel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the review! I also have the rattle in the rear hatch, but the technicians couldn't find the source of the buzzing.

11. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Great, thanks
    Re: "I'm not a fan of the touch screen...give me buttons on the dash rather than virtual switches" - my biggest gripe about the car. It's impossible to use without looking.

Interesting, I've never had a problem with people flashing headlights - could be that I'm RHDrive. Great headlights.

RCO likes this.