1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

$6 Shorty Antenna Mod

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Brent C, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Brent C

Brent C Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I recently purchased a 2nd gen Prius from a family and immediately started fixing/updated things. One on the list was a new antenna. However, I was on search for the cheapest and most effective way of replacing this long, dry-rotted antenna. Through my searching, I found that Honda part # 39151-T5R-305 was an exact fit. So far I have noticed no difference in radio reception, but have only done in-city driving. I will be taking the car on a trip soon that will include driving some distance away from my normal trips. Best of all, bought this antenna at my local Honda dealership for $6.65. Also, I checked into the Dodge antenna that has been mentioned in several threads, the price was $30+ for that antenna. I assume price has only gone up as Dodge caught on that Prius owners were buying it. :)

Attached Files:

donbright, jerrymildred, gta_ and 2 others like this.
  2. CLUBGUY

CLUBGUY Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Thanks for taking the time to share....Although I do not need this; others that do should find the info helpful....

3. nessguy

nessguy New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Thanks for the post. I've been meaning to get around to replacing my antenna with a smaller one but hadn't ever gotten around to it. I just ordered this one on Amazon. Crossing my fingers that it works. :)

4. Brent C

Brent C Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    It will, its as easy as screw old one off and new one on.

5. Brent C

Brent C Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    So I just wanted to update everyone on this antenna as far as reception. For me, I received better reception with this antenna than with the OEM one. This was tested by taking a 2 hour trip that I've made multiple times and know where the old one would start to loose my stations.

donbright, gta_ and JC91006 like this.
  6. gta_

gta_ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Looks awesome! I am gonna try this one out since I've been looking for options on replacement antennas. Thanks!

7. biglew8

biglew8 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
  8. gta_

gta_ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ended up getting the $6 one mentioned here. I love it, No change in reception from what I can tell and so much better looking than the long one.

9. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Was hoping you would say it actually helped your reception.

10. gta_

gta_ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It didn't, but it also didn't get worse which I have seen people say happens with the smaller antennas. I think the only way for me to get better reception with the daily altamont commute would be a longer whip antenna, but I don't want that lol.

11. Toddwilks

Toddwilks Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I just did this to my gen II. Dealer charged me 6 bucks with tax and it definitely improved over the stock antenna