1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

6 years/60k service

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by ph47mf, Oct 4, 2012.

1. ph47mf

ph47mf Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi guys

My Gen 2 is due for a service at around November time. I do around 10k miles a year and I tend to let Mr T service it every year. The Toyota dealers in the UK offer 3 service plans - interim/full/full+, I'm not sure which one I need. I had been advised to take 'full' but looking at the comparison document attached, most of the extra jobs they do over interim is just extra inspections.

Would it be better value for money if I chose interim, pay extra for anything that needs replacing/refilling/changing? To be honest, if anything needs doing, they will charge extra regardless of which service plan I took and from looking at the website, they always do a 37 point check on vehicles in service which sort of makes it like a full service plan? :)

And just what needs to be done at 60k? anything should be changed at this time?

Attached Files:

2. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Search on here for What Services You Need and What You Do Not. It is a sticky on here and all your car needs. The rest is dealer profits.

3. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    From Toyota:
    Toyota Parts and Service

From our resident expert:
    60K maintenance - what is needed | PriusChat

4. ph47mf

ph47mf Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    wow thank you

5. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The interim service in the UK is all you need since everything else is already done (and in more detail in the MOT) so if you have the MOT done at the same time you pay twice for the same work. The service interval and content in the UK is totally different to the US.

The one item that I would get them to do but this does not appear anywhere in the service book is to change the transmission fluid. They will probably tell you it does not need changing, but insist they do it anyway or do it yourself.

As you have already done look at the difference between the services then add the work done in an MOT to the interim service and tell me the difference between that and the full service.

The full service + is not due till 120,000 miles.

John. (Britprius)

6. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    As an addition to the above you do not say what area you are in, but many Toyota dealers are price matching on MOT's. Tell them Halfords are doing MOT's for £30, this could save you £32.60

I also get them to use 0w20 oil in the engine it is listed as suitable for the GEN2 Prius and it improves fuel consumption dependent on your driving about 2mpg.

7. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
  8. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Learn how to change the engine and cabin air filters yourself takes 10 mins and you can buy them from your local motorist shop (not Halfords) at a fraction of the price the dealer will charge you. If you can open a suit case you can do this. Check them and replace if required before it goes for service.