1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

60% of Americans OK with declawing - agree?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Chuck., Feb 16, 2011.

?
  1. Favor

14 vote(s)
    29.8%
  2. Oppose

33 vote(s)
    70.2%
  1. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
  2. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No, it's unnatural and cruel. So's 'docking' a dog's tail or ears.

4 people like this.
  3. airportkid

airportkid Will Fly For Food

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Pets I wouldn't; people are another matter altogether and there are many whose declawing would make the world instantly more livable.

2 people like this.
  4. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Not to mention docking their tails. :eek:

1 person likes this.
  5. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  6. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Would your fingernails grow back if your fingertips were cut off at the first knuckle? No.

Our cats get their claws clipped frequently -- essentially a fingernail clipping -- most recently about 30 minutes ago. This isn't a declawing.

7. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    No, don't declaw your cat. We adopted a cat that the previous owners declawed. It really messed up her personality.

8. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    No, they take off more than just the claw. Part of the toe is removed too.

9. twittel

twittel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I love to watch the cashiers with the 4 inch big claws (fingernails) clicking about the register!

10. twittel

twittel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Over 35 years of marriage, we've had three cats and never declawed any. To prevent destructive scratching, we used double-side tape until the little boogers figured out how to use their scratching posts. Takes time for them to learn this, however. Currently, we're "litter-free" and loving it!

11. Chuck.

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    A little history of the [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Declaw"]declawing procedure[/ame] procedure.

Indoor-only cats were rare until after WWII. [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ed_Lowe"]Ed Lowe[/ame] returned from that war and invented clay litter, became president/founder of Tidy Cat....made $500M from it.

As such, the once rare declaw procedure started to become common place in the 1950's.

12. PaulJenkins

PaulJenkins New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Haha, but seriously, don't hurt the kitties :( .... 60%. That's a lot!

13. bretaz

bretaz Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you are using a good vet that knows what they are doing and has the right equipment, it is far less tramatic on the animal. Use a vet that does not know what they are doing, or uses regular nail clippers to just cut them off, and you will have some serious problems.

14. Chuck.

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'll finally weigh in - I left a rescue over the declaw policy.

It's not the end of the world for the cat, but I don't declaw mine.

Cats are territorial...when they can't scratch, that leaves spraying. :eek:

Carpet, cardboard cedar lumber are great clawing magnets...catnip on them helps.

15. bretaz

bretaz Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    All of my cats are declawed. It has not had any effect on their health or happiness. Have never had any behavior problems. They still scratch things, they just dont have any claws.

We have one of these, and they love it. They use it all the time.

Corrugated Cardboard Cat Scratcher Kitty's Own Couch For Sale

Chuck, what was the policy of the rescue agency you worked for? Every one I have ever come in contact with has a policy of no declawing. They make you sign something stating you will not declaw. My opinion is that if it gets them a loving forever home, as opposed to being euthanised, it is OK if done correctly.

16. J5A

J5A Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Our shelter kitty was already declawed when we got her. I'm pretty certain I couldn't take a cat in for the proceedure. She is the sweetest, most lovable kitty in the whole wide world.

What I find equally if not more barbaric is circumcision, but that's for another thread of course.

17. twittel

twittel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Circumcision...what the...just how big are them cat things!

18. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    When cats are declawed, it is, in essence, an amputation of their "fingertips".

Consider the "phantom pain" that amputees report. Now, consider the number of nerves in fingertips. Even if cats only have half the number of nerves in their paws, that is a huge number of pain signals that they have to deal with, with no relief. Pain that makes no sense to them. It is no wonder that a large percentage of them "go insane"... some people have, even with the "intellect" to understand the amputation.

If you cannot or will not deal with a whole cat, you certainly do not need to have a cat.

On the other hand, I have adopted cats that were declawed. A previously declawed cat that needs a home may be the perfect pet. I would hate to see any sort of "market" for declawed cats causing shelters/rescues to have any cats declawed, however.

Our kitty gets her claws trimmed on a regular basis.

4 people like this.
  19. Chuck.

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    bretaz,

That rescue I left had loose standards in general...a salesman wanted a 5-minute adoption, which I think all would agree is too short....you gotta know their pet/work/resident history so all that trouble to pull a cat out of the pound won't be in vain.

Most rescues I worked with either don't allow declawing or really discourage it....I know one that does not even allow adoptions to smokers.

I'll agree that adoption with declawing is better than being put down in a pound. Having said that, too many adopters just won't consider declaw alternatives.

A year ago, a young tortie got in my garage just before a foot of snow came down - similar to Super Bowl week in Dallas...it was declawed. Dumping a declawed cat on the streets was inexcusable for whoever moved. :mad: She is very friendly to people, but does not mix with other cats....may be more she was an only pet than the declaw issue.

On pet forums, this equates to the Abortion issue - flamewars and stuff happens.

Just Google declawing - about 90% of the hits strongly oppose it, illustrated graphically.

20. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Man, before this I never really knew what was involved in a declawing process... If asked, I probably would have said sure, why not - if only because it's so common place you just sort of assume it doesn't hurt the cat... bad assumption, clearly. Fortunately, I'm a dog person, and will most likely never own a cat. Regardless, I'd now say no to declawing, knowing whats involved.

For debarking, however, I knew what was involved, and would have said no way from the start. I feel the same way about all the elective surgeries they do on dogs, especially docking tails... that's just so sad...