1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

60 Year Old Kimonos

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Proco, Nov 20, 2008.

1. Proco

Proco Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks! I have a flickr account. I wanted to upload these to share with my friends first. I'll eventually put them on flickr, too. :)

2. SPEEDEAMON

SPEEDEAMON Professional Car Nut

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Hi Proco,
    According to the Kimono expert in our house (she has more than 30 and can put it on herself), the top black one is a haori sort of a coat you wear over the kimono. If it is black it should be for a funeral.
    The second one with embroidery is for a happy or festive occasion such as weddings worn by family members because it has the family crest on both sides. and in the center on the back. If you were the mother of either the bride or the groom, you would wear a black kimono with embroidery and family crests as that is formal. These should all be silk.

The one hanging in your living room may be modern as we can't tell what material it is and looks loose and droopy.

Interesting that we have the same small chair you have below it.

Enjoy displaying them. It looks great in your home.

Hope that helps.

1 person likes this.
  3. Proco

Proco Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    That jibes with what one of the Asian Studies professors here at work told me. He told me that the one in the living room is one that would be worn underneath one like the colorful one in order to protect it. So, basically, it's underwear. We like the idea of having underwear hanging on our living room wall.

None of the kimonos I have are silk. They might have some silk in them, but not as the primary fabric. It's very possible that these were made sort of as cheap knock-offs to sell to the soldiers that were stationed in the Pacific.

Thanks a lot for your input! I really appreciate it! Please thank you wife for me, too.

4. SPEEDEAMON

SPEEDEAMON Professional Car Nut

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Indeed the period when these were made, exotic fabrics were scarce. When I questioned my mother why all the dresses she wore in her period photos were white (even if they were b&w photos) she told me because they were made from old sheets. At least she had a dress maker. An even more amazing story is that during the bombing of Tokyo, everyone took refuge in the countryside including my mom who was a city girl. There she lived with a farming family learning how to farm and grow their own crops just to survive.

When she came back to Tokyo now leveled after the surrender, she found her dry cleaning man standing near what was his store. She figured none of her kimonos or dresses survived but the dry cleaner had dug a basement and preserved all his customer's belongings, still tagged and ready for pick up. Now that's service !