1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

600 Mile Club

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by F8L, Jul 16, 2012.

1. SoCalBPrius

SoCalBPrius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That's awesome(y)! I hope I can get close to what you're getting when I switch back to my 17's;).

AZGeek likes this.
  2. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think you made the right choice by stopping when you did. :)

I'm glad the tires are working out for you. I was experiencing a similar situation where my GenIII on 17s with the same tires was matching my GenII on 15s with great LRR tires.

3. szgabor

szgabor Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    OK first time ... I tried and done ... I had at least another chance last month before the club was started.

Gen III 2 purchased 2009 July 19 (just passed 3 year and almost 40K)

I drove about 50 miles passed the blinking

IMG00040-20120816-1847.jpg

I fueled up and this is my largest EVER fill up 10.128 gallon so I could have gone probably another 20-30 mile but not sure how full the gas tank was when I started. I always stop at first click.

Technique: I have a SGe so I am limited but I try to anticipate traffic, accelerating modestly, and try to drive under load like keeping the load at the right edge of the leaf, and watching the current MPG numbers

Tires: Stock Yokohama Avid S33 front 42 back 40 weekly checked

This tank was btw July 30 and Aug 16: 606 mil avg 18 mph and calculated 59.86 mpg (summer very hot weather and a number of traffic jam in NYC otherwise MPG would have been better)

Mostly commuting to work alone few weekend short trip w/wife in the car.

So Justin you can add me to the list ....

walter Lee, ChipL and F8L like this.
  4. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to the club! I never thought I'd see a New Yorker on the list. ;)

szgabor likes this.
  5. szgabor

szgabor Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You mean 600miles or general ???

There are several people on PC from Long Island NY where I live. I work in NYC midtown in the last 20 year .. I only moved to the suburb about 6 years ago and resisted to buy a car for 2j years. But pressure from wife won... So late 2007 I bought my first ever car (I was 41) working for UNEP I HAD to buy a hybrid so that got me a Prius Gen II

I upgraded in 2009 .... in short.

There are a LOT of prius in NYC. City bought many and even the traffic cops drive them AND Taxi cabs !!!

6. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I just meant with such high mpg. NYC is known for crazy angry drivers and terrible traffic. That is not conducive to hypermiling.

I think it's awesome you were able to go so long without a car. Living in the west where everything is so spread out I just couldn't fathom living without a car. I think it's a fantastic way to live though. Cars cause a lot of trouble and are expensive!

7. szgabor

szgabor Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That is somewhat true, especially for Manhattan but it is manageable. I drive strictly city very little maybe 5 miles rest on major bouleveard with good flow most of the time and about 15 miles (out of 25) on something resembling freeways in CA. There I can do 50-55 the sweetspot under load that what makes this possible. I can do high 60s good day even 70s MPG (for those section) but not even close to your numbers. BUT I am very happy with 51.6 mpg over 40k miles over three years

I am from another country where car possession was not really for average folks. Then (since 1990) I was living in Queens NY, where having a car is a major pain and very costly. Public transportation really works here. And I was renting for holidays or when I needed a car.

I see from your profile that you care for the environment ... me too as I said I worked for the UN Environment Programme for 18 years and I was pretty close to convince the Executive Director to buy hybrids as official cars (the UN actually have several ) ... but they being in Africa did not worked..

And finally thanks for adding me to the list

8. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That is wonderful. What did you do for UNEP? I am a land manager for a land trust. We purchase land for protection or we place conservation easements on private land for willing landowners so that it cannot be developed, ever. I manage the preserves we own and I monitor the private lands. So I do a lot of monitoring and restoration. I work with a lot of youth as well. :)

9. szgabor

szgabor Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I am a UNIX/LINUX system admin I was the New York Office computer guy ... left about 2010 June to do the same in another department ... but I learned a lot about this issues. and met many people in this field personally.

Youth yes that was my first area as well unfortuntelly that is in the past ... but that is the way to go ...

I have been part of 3 international youth conferences in the mid 90's organized by UNEP ...I know they still working with organizations involving young people .... education is key ....It is kind of hard in the US

F8L likes this.
  10. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well let me say thank you for all the work you have done and will do in the future. :)

11. guicide

guicide Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    [​IMG]
    Some P&G. Mostly just easy on the gas.
    August 2012, 3 90 mile highway trips, 80F (30C) daytime temps.
    Began blinking at 520mi (832km).
    Factory tires/rims. 39/37 psi when checked 2 months ago.
    Filled to first click as always: 10.864 gallons. 55.5 MPG.
    OT: I love my Nav Speed Bypass.

F8L likes this.
  12. szgabor

szgabor Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That looks like a 2012 prius ... if you had one before please let us know the difference .. I had a GEN II and it worth the money to switch .. here the gas is again over 4$ dam it ..

but my avg spee is more like 16-19 .. :)

13. Murali

Murali Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    My first 600+ mile per tank.

It is so exciting when I crossed 600 miles on a single tank of gas. Recently I have crossed 700 miles per tank. Thanks to F8L to let me know about these. Nice to share the news with people to better our driving experience.

Attached Files:

F8L likes this.
  14. rokibler

rokibler Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    600 mi club.jpg

Techniques: I try to keep my acceleration in the ECO range at all times, from about the right edge of the ECO symbol above (not illuminated) to just before the PWR zone, combined with P&G and terrain awareness. No A/C nor heat - ever.
    Time of year: September in Washington DC area.
    I ran on the blinking low-fuel warning light about 10 miles. Needed 9.67 gallons to fill up.
    Tire setup: Bridgestone Ecopia 44 front, 42 rear

This is my 5th 600+ tank this summer, and maybe my last until next summer.

15. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I hear ya! A lot of people are going to start seeing their fuel economy drop soon. :(

Welcome to the club!

16. Texas-Prius

Texas-Prius One more Prius to fight terrorism

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Add me to the list. I was determined to make the 600 Club on my first tank. I don't remember at what point the bar started flashing, but I believe I drove on that flashing bar for close to 100 miles. I had read where others had, so it was a leap of faith; and it's a good thing it worked, because my wife would have never let me forget about it if I had to end up walking to the closest gas station.

I will say that this tank was filled up by the dealership, so I can only assume that it was full when I got it. Also, when I picked it up, the salesperson sat in the car with me for about 30 minutes in the lot with the AC running; showing me how everything worked, so that counted against my mileage too. I should also add that most of my trips are short 5 mile legs, and the longest leg made on this tank was less than 40 miles. We used the AC 80%+ of the time, always ran in ECO mode, rarely even drove as high as the speed limit (most times 10mph less), and on three round trips, pulled a utility trailer hauling everything from bicycles to 32 cu ft of mulch.

So here are the stats:
    Total Miles - 600.7
    Total Gallons - 10.584
    MPG - 56.76

After seeing that I only had 1.316 gallons of fuel remaining, it makes me think that with my current style of driving, making the 700 Club is possible, so I can see now that I'm going to add several more gray hairs to my head. And, while I might never make the 700 Club, but I wonder how many people made the 600 Club.

I suppose if I could lengthen my trips, and now that the weather has cooled down, not run the AC, and not pull the trailer around, I could get better mileage, but since we have no reason to drive further, and I'm always needing to haul something from Home Depot, that probably isn't going to happen.

- TP

[​IMG]

F8L likes this.
  17. wesayso

wesayso Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1st 360 miles on tank was on a round trip to Annapolis on highways, with an average speed of 50 mph. The balance of tank was all city driving. Maybe 10% of tank was using AC. Actual tank mpg was 52.8.
    [​IMG]

F8L likes this.
  18. Codyroo

Codyroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    A fairly conservative estimate of your fuel tank level is to multiply your CONS. by 10 (10x 59.7 = 597 miles) for an estimate of when you should start filling up. If you multiply the CONS by 11 (59.7 x 11 = 657 miles) is when you might have 0.25 gallons or less. I'd shoot for a 700 mile tank if you have a CONS reading of 66 mpg, otherwise you are going to give yourself lots of gray hairs.

Texas-Prius likes this.
  19. Codyroo

Codyroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Congrats on your 600 mile tank!

20. Texas-Prius

Texas-Prius One more Prius to fight terrorism

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Good information Cody. I'll have to remember that. 66 is probably going to be very difficult for me to achieve; given the type of trips I have to make.

- TP