1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

$6000 ABS REPAIR

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Teresa Y Kirkpatrick, Aug 14, 2021.

1. Teresa Y Kirkpatrick

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Should replacing ABS actuator and Non-skid control module cost $6000+ ? I received a diagnostic and this is what they estimated. I got codes read from Auto Zone which mentioned the ECU but they did not suggest that might also be a problem.

2. The Lizard King

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
  3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hi Teresa,

Yes, if you need both those parts and the work is at a dealer, the MSRP is $2286.94 for the ECU and $1716.21 for the actuator. That's around $4k for the parts if the dealership does not discount them. Some dealers offer discounts off MSRP for parts, which would be significant on numbers that big.

Both parts are sort of buried and a bit of work to replace. I don't know about $2k worth, but there will be some labor for sure.

But I think the most interesting stuff in your story is what you haven't said. What were the original symptoms that led you to get this quote, and what are the trouble codes that were read? What's the dealership's reasoning in thinking you need both parts replaced?

4. MilkyWay

MilkyWay Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So you have a stiff brake pedal and/or noisy/squeaking pump + codes on dash for brake accumulator pressure? And usually that comes with VSC/ABS/BRAKE on dash?

It's about a 2 or 3 hour repair so an honest shop would charge 3 hours of labor (around $300).

You can get the pump on eBay or car-part.com for $350 any of the 3 ID numbers work they are all the same.

On car-part it is under anti-lock brake pump.

About $700 to replace ABS pump with a used one not sure about the "skid control ecu" but can say I've had just about every single problem imaginable happen on gen 2 priuses, with my collection, and never had that go bad.

Merkey likes this.
  5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yes, very interested in what the symptoms and codes are, and why the dealership is saying both parts.

Merkey likes this.
  6. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This website will teach you or a friend or family member how to do this repair for a much lower price... But yes, given the state of Toyota Stealership a $6K repair price is the exact kind of criminally stupid they specialize in because they sell you brand new parts when your car is old enough for that to no longer apply... Most folks will get a mechanic to replace with used parts that are the same age as the rest of the car and your cost will be in the $1K range.

MilkyWay likes this.