1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

7 gallon fillup?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by beenjaminY, Jan 4, 2017.

1. beenjaminY

beenjaminY New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi all,

For a long while now I've been filling up at about two pips on average. Usually I would get 8 or so gallons in before the pump shut off. Come Sunday it was seven gallons when on one flashing pip - way way earlier than usual obviously.

In addition and what's more concerning is that I'm at five pips after 140 miles - something I've not been close to in terms of gas consumption ever with my 2006. Last fillup I was at ~320 miles on my consumption meter which is very low for even my low standards of maybe 350 to a tank. One side note with regard to the display: my MPG readout is frozen at 44.4 and has been for a good long while.

Question being: is the cold weather most likely tanking my mileage (under thirty F as our highs in northern Utah lately) or is there something more to worry about if I'm barely able to get seven gallons into the tank with flashing pips on the dash?

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome! yes, but it's also affecting the rubber bladder inside your tank. did you purchase the car recently?

Bluegrassman likes this.
  3. beenjaminY

beenjaminY New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thank you!

I'm the second owner, coming on five years now actually. I've read about the bladder just a bit and would think that makes sense. These temps are pretty brutal compared to the past few. If the cold gets to the bladder proportionately to the cold that would definitely put my mind at ease.

Any aftermarket or service solutions to the issue?

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    nothing that i've ever read about, that's why they got rid of it in 2010.

some possibly helpful hints: let the tank breathe for a few minutes after removing the gas cap.

try holding the nozzle at 45 and/or 90 degrees.

try a different pump.

5. beenjaminY

beenjaminY New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks bisco - I'll do that next fill up and post back if it helps noticeably.

bisco likes this.
  6. Moving Right Along

Moving Right Along Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I live in Minnesota (current temperature is 0°F), and just got my Prius a couple weeks ago. Out of my 3 fill-ups so far, only 1 has been over 7 gallons. I'd say cold definitely has an effect on how much gas can be held by the bladder system.

Regarding the MPG shown on the display, I'm pretty sure that's an average of all the driving you've done since you last reset the tracker. While the number of miles next to the MPG number resets automatically with fill-ups (at least mine does), the MPG number doesn't reset unless you hit the reset button on the display. So if you've gone a long time since resetting it on the screen, then the number is more likely to stay the same for a longer time.

#6 Moving Right Along, Jan 5, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
  7. Nor.Prius

Nor.Prius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Seeing the same thing on my 04 prius here in southern new mexico. Been averaging 7.3 gallons per fill up. Haven't been here long enough to see tank capacity in the summer.

8. beenjaminY

beenjaminY New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Update after two more fill ups to report some possible good news.... On one pip last week I forgot about this thread until after the tank was"full" and went away with barely seven gallons (per usual complaint).

However, tonight, under same or colder conditions of about 28F I gave the tank about one minute to breathe and then held the pump as upright (maybe a bit less than 90 degrees) for the length of the fill. Went away with 7.7 gallons from one pip to a full tank which is at least within the range of possible correlation from the usual 7 gallons of the past month. Hopefully I can stretch that number further and report back next week as well.

9. Bluegrassman

Bluegrassman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I've read here that filling up at the slowest notch on the pump nozzle also may help

10. Velo781

Velo781 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I bought my 04 a month ago. Both times refilling it, I get about 7 gallons in. Today was was at one bar on fuel gauge and it only took 6.5gal. about 60 degrees here in Austin.

What is more accurate, the bottom of the guage or top?

11. Moving Right Along

Moving Right Along Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    In my experience over the last couple months, the top of the gauge drops faster than the bottom part. I almost always fill up at 1 bar, and usually end up getting 6 and a half gallons or so; some more, some less.