1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

7" Video/NAV system that is a cost effective alternative!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by johnmaso, Oct 16, 2011.

1. johnmaso

johnmaso New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have been playing around with my 2007 Prius that I got last month. So far, I have added leather seats, HID headlamps, and ordered an Ultra Gauge. Unfortunately, my car did not come with the stock NAV. Upon doing my research, I found some aftermarket NAV's to replace the stock radio. However, most of them cost between $500-1000 USD.

With money being tight, I looked around for alternatives, and found one for $89.99! A refurbished Magellan RM1700 was on sale for $89.99 on TIgerdirect.com (refurbished). Other 7" no brand Ebay GPS can also be had for about the same price. This will work on any Windows CE based Nav systems. I just want the 7" screen to be able to watch movies on long drives. The good thing is I am able to keep the stock radio and both have the MFD and another 7" screen for other things.

The first step is to unlock the GPS system. Most GPS will be "locked" by the manufacturer. That is, it boots directly to the GPS screen and not the windows page. Unlocking allows you to access the windows interface. I am not an expert but here is the article with full instructions to those that are interested.

GpsPasSion Forums - MioPocket 4.0 (Unlock for GPS devices)

Once unlocked, you can use it as a video

For those who want a more visual alternative to their Scan Guage, you can try this program: Common questions ? hobDrive for your unlocked NAV system. I have not yet tried this program, but will update when I have.

I mounted the screen right below the factory radio. I had it higher (covering the storage area below the radio), but I lowered it so that space an still be used. It is, for me, a matter of preference.

I posted a pic below.

Comments or suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.