1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

70,000 fans cheer QB going down with injury

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Chuck., Oct 8, 2012.

1. San_Carlos_Jeff

San_Carlos_Jeff Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Not really a sign of the times it's happened before. A couple times I personally remember this happening was when Dan Pastorini broke his leg playing for the Raiders and the home crowd cheered. Another time was a game I was at when Chris Weber was in his first game back in Oakland and he dislocated his shoulder. In this case it was the opponents fans cheering, but it's still not right to cheer an injury.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i disagree, my wife and i love olympic curling. 'course, we may be in the minority...:whistle: but i'm not sure how it relates to cheering when someone gets injured? we like football too, and are happy with the steps that have been taken to limit big hits and reduce injuries. we don't feel they are part of what makes sports exciting.

3. ProximalSuns

ProximalSuns Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    We aren't. The Roman coliseum is Jerry's World the same spending millions on gladiatorial events while our schools crumble, our kids go hungry and the games distract us from the reality.

Bounty gate was a surprise to no one in the game. Most were baffled by the controversy since injuring and knocking out the opponent was and is part of the game...it's a large part of why people watch the game. All but a few of the players end up broke, jobless and suffering early death from game injuries.

4. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
  5. ProximalSuns

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Complaining about fans boorish behavior (in Philly they knocked out Santa Claus in San Diego set another teams fan on fire) seems hypocritical since the sport is based on young men sacrificing themselves to entertain us. It is the single most watched and profitable sports business in the US. Massive coliseums are built for the events at taxpayer expense to the detriment of schools, roads, health and safety.

6. Chuck.

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This is not "complaining" - this is objecting to people that refuse to behave and do it in the safety of a crowd - most likely cowards.

Expecting a minimal level of conduct is reasonable, and this is not high enough.

7. ProximalSuns

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    "Refuse to behave"...sounds a bit arrogant to demand people behave as you would like at a gladiatorial event. Booing and cheering the violence is why people go to the game. Other than physically assaulting other fans, don't see any behavioral constraints to what people shout at the games.

For the players yes, for the fans, other than physical assault no. Good sportsmanship from the fans is entirely optional.

8. Chuck.

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    ^ I'm sorry if behaving better than a beast seems "arrogant" to you.

Stuff like gang tackles and bounties on opponents is banned because the NFL is not a gladiatorial event.

A recent article mentioned the circumstances people cowardly behave like animals if anonymous:
    • the internet
    • in traffic
    • at sporting events
    Apparently PromimalSuns approves of 2 of the 3 listed given his propensity to quote and argue endlessly

9. ProximalSuns

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    All gladiatorial events, like US football to Roman sword fights, that require human sacrifice, have rules. Having rules doesn't make them any less gladiatorial.

Are animals "cowards"...how interesting. Does anonymous voting count as a "cowardly act"?

10. Chuck.

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    ^ I also expect you to troll on other stuff like urinating on graves as it's clear your character is on par with the drunks booing a player down with a concussion and proud of it.

Bye.

11. ProximalSuns

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Ah...like gratuitous personal insults?

12. Trebuchet

Trebuchet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Many times I've seen players go down and a hush sweep the crowd. Opposing players and fans will take a knee or bow their heads for the injured player and a cheer sweep the entire crowd when the player gets up and makes his/her own way off the field.

Never have I observed a cheer from any crowd when an injured player is carried from the field.

Play little if any attention to angry people who would suggest otherwise.

Chuck. likes this.