1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

70 mph EV only mode.

Discussion in 'Prius PHEV Plug-In Modifications' started by aminorjourney, Jun 10, 2009.

1. aminorjourney

aminorjourney Mum to two prius!

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow.

Chris Ewart, one of the fantastically talented reverse-engineers of the plugin prius scene, has just released this video:

He's figured out how to get 70 mph all electric performance out of the Prius and has also figured out how to get past the limitations of the OEM motor controls.

I suspect he's done something similar to the mod done by Toyota in their OEM prius plug ins....

Whatever and however he's done it. Congratulations Chris. I can't wait to see it in a conversion soon. (apparently the conversion high speed option will be offered by Plug-In Home soon)

1 person likes this.
  2. Mesuge

Mesuge New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Exciting news, so that was the upcomming big press release they and friends talked about! Well, we knew that >52mph is technically possible to get out of Toyota's HSD, but is it safe for the MG1&MG2 over the longhaul? For more info/links on Ewert Energy (formerly engaged in CalCars PriusPlus) projects check my posts at page #28 of your "Bristol PHEV" thread..

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Excellent work! It looks like they were drawing about 100A at around 200V, about 20 kW or about 27 hp. There were some interesting spikes but short of doing a frame-by-frame analysis, this was just a raw impression.

Bob Wilson

1 person likes this.
  4. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    this is great but to me not new.

i see that when in this enhanced EV mode a virtual SOC of 74% or for the prius a 100%(real74%) full battery and between the `( )` the real SOC.

so to me this is the same hymotion and norm with the BMS± is doing

fake the SOC so the prius thinks it needs to get some more energy out of the battery pack because its getting to full and wants to protect the battery.

i can drive 100kmph without using the ice because of this with the BMSplus and have been doing this for several months now.

1 person likes this.
  5. Mesuge

Mesuge New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Bob, correct. But this is for steady cruising only, another question is acceleration up to that max. speed point, and there comes the limit of ~50kW MG2 motor and the battery/bms system involved. Obviously, the more agressive aero&weight mods performed to stock Prius the better accel. & cruising economy combined in the end..

But the best kick from this kit is the above 52mph smooth switching between all those PHEV/EV modes..

6. alevinemi

alevinemi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Is this a good idea?

I thought a safety was put in because if you were past 60MPH or so and let up on the gas, engaging regenerative breaking, it would spin too fast for the motors.

-->Adam

7. EZW1

EZW1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Furthermore, and someone chime in here to correct me, but I believe the HSD is lubricated from an oil pump driven off the ICE. If the ICE is still, there is no lubrication of the HSD and driving at 75MPH in such a mode would create undue stress/wear.

8. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd sure like to know what the inverter temps were and MG1 rpm with that sustained 100-130 amp draw at those speeds.

While I share the excitement that this can be achieved, I don't think it's a good idea.

9. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    With the Hymotion battery if you draw anything over 30A the stock battery will start to lose its SOC. When that happens the Hymotion battery starts to lower the fake SOC. If the stock battery SOC gets to low the fake SOC gets to low and the car starts to go back to lower than 70MPG in blended mode.

If I were to do what Chris did with my Hymotion battery I think I would damage both batteries pretty quick. They must be using a different method or replacing the stock battery with a custom one so they can draw 100+A like that without problems. Does anyone know what they are doing exactly?

1 person likes this.
  10. Flying White Dutchman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    is the hymotion using a dc/dc converter or higher voltage addpack to charge the oempack and provide extra energy to the prius ev system.

looking that the voltage also went up when using the enhanced ev mode in that video i think its a bigger and better chemistry battery pack with a dc/dc converter and bigger wire´s then there is no problem the hymotion pack is not that big in kwh.

11. Flying White Dutchman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The software upgrade is based upon patented technology developed by Chicago-based Ewert Energy Systems, which has granted PICC exclusive rights for its use in Prius conversion kits.

Green Car Congress: Software Upgrade to Prius PHEV NiMH Conversion Kit Enables All-Electric Driving At Up to 70mph

A software upgrade, retailing for $2,000 to $2,500, will be made available for sale later this month to new and existing conversion kit customers. A free trial version of the software upgrade will later be introduced.

its a shame....only for the money.
    looking at the total cost of a plugin system those 2000/2500 way to high.

i hope i get the wrong impression here

2 people like this.
  12. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Member

Roughly 288 watt-Hr per mile.Now my electricity is less than 10 cents per KWHr, so under 3 cents per mile now. Double electricity to 20 cents and it is still the equivalent of 50 mpg at 70 mph($3/gal gas)-current rates it is 100 mpg at 70 mph($3/gal gas)- pretty good.

I think I remember GM claiming that the Volt used just 170watt Hrs per mile at 60 mph, but I could be wrong about that.
    Charlie

1 person likes this.
  13. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm not to sure on how the Hymotion pack does its thing.

I agree the $2k-$2.5k is way to much for this software upgrade. If its software alone that gets changed I would pay about $100 for it. If its a hardware thing then maybe I would pay $100-$500 depending if it would work with my Hymotion pack.

1 person likes this.
  14. Flying White Dutchman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    i think the problem is

first
    the facts this is al new and pionering work and always higher in price

second
    the few plugin priusses on the road and the also of them a few can take the upgrade and then set a company up for this the price of every single unit will be higher

so al in al the price is reasonble

but lets hope this price is a artical writers mistake

1 person likes this.
  15. zcat3

zcat3 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The other thing that if it is drawing 20 kw to do that and you only have approximately 5 kw in your plug-in pack, you get maybe 15 minutes driving that way at most - probably less. The current Prius electric motor just isn't set up for efficient high speed cruising. Even cruising at 50 MPH in EV, which I can do with my Hymotion pack, greatly limits my EV mode range.

16. aminorjourney

aminorjourney Mum to two prius!

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The kit replaces the ENTIRE 1.6kWh original battery and replaces it all with a bigger battery pack - 6kWh combined. I suspect that Chris and co have actually built a new control unit too to sit somewhere on the CAN bus.

Obviously, the Prius is capable of short 125A max current drain in it's stock setup, which is equivalent to 25kW peak at 201V nominal.
    Presumably the new NiMH pack they're using (Goldseal???) must have a much higher C rating than the original Prius pack.

In terms of cost I don't think it's too bad at all for that kind of increase in performance. Of course, as yet I'm guessing there aren't that many long term tests in place - although Chris is a phenomenal engineer and I think he's probably thought of most things with this.

One of the benefits I find of having three parallel Prius packs is that I deplete all the three packs at exactly the same time, demanding 1/3 of the total current from each pack. It seems to work pretty well for me... I wonder if their technique could be utilized to run with standard Prius packs, since each pack would only be required to provide about 42 amps each to reach 125 A total...

Just a thought. Obviously the Hymotion and other mixed battery chemistry setups don't work in the same way...

Nikki.

17. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    If I was modding my G2 today, I would refuse this feature.

First, Toyota thought it important to limit MG1 rpm and battery discharge. I'll believe them.

Second, unless I was willing to live within the confines of a 20 kw car, I am going to be turning on the ICE and running in blended mode. This is doubly true because most of my trips will exceed the theoretical EV distance capacity of whatever battery capacity I might buy.

18. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    First, to use this type of enhancement, you need a bunch of LIPOFE4 external batteries, new NiMh cant be used for electromotive power (chemistry patent restrictions, remember?)
    Also with this type of modification I do not know with certainty how is handled but with the "BMS+" system, I and others can drive at 60/65 MPH, feathering the gas pedal and trying to keep the RPM under 1100 and I have ICE spin but no sparks on the injectors, meaning NO combustion, hence infinite MPG for a while.
    If the ice "spins", all the mechanicals are getting an oil bath and recirculates, so we are safe in that respect.
    I also estimate that being that the "BMS+" doesn't override or cancel anything, like the San Francisco $200.00 secret switch, it does substitute with other more convenient software information, in the event that any temperature or electrical parameter is in the border line, the ICE will fully "turn ON" and continue to behave as a regular Prius Hybrid.
    Also to be noted is, we, the users of the "BMS+", can switch to PHEV enhanced mode on the fly by means of a touch panel display button at any speed.
    I conclusion, this new 70 mph EV mode is a variant of something already developed and being used since a while. I would like to see it in action to compare both products.

1 person likes this.
  19. Celtic Blue

Celtic Blue New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    That was what I had gathered. The engine might not be burning gasoline, but it is still spinning. That means the lubrication system is operating as well. That's the way I interpret it.

The concern about the engine not running is below 42 mph in EV because it can be left stationary and therefore part of the lubrication system is down. (Although that doesn't seem to have posed any major problems.)

20. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Correction, below "34mph", that's the EV electric limit.