1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

70 mph EV only mode.

Discussion in 'Prius PHEV Plug-In Modifications' started by aminorjourney, Jun 10, 2009.

1. eMileage

eMileage Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Did you mean Plug-In Conversions (PICC) or does Plug-In Supply also have the 70MPH Ewert solution? Thx.

2. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Yea, you'r right. Thank you for the correction. PICC.
    I will update the original post....

3. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Why not give Carolyn of Luscious Garage in San Francisco a call? 415.875.9030

She is installing PHEV conversions with this system and has a wealth of information on the system and could talk to you about it in depth.

I know she's pretty busy running her hybrid repair and PHEV conversion business so she probably can't jump on here to post, but she could probably eke a few minutes of time to talk to you on the phone.

4. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    i also make that mistake a lot..

pluginsupply or PICC

5. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    This vid that they did seems to say "no stomping - or you'll (at least temporarily) lite up the ICE".
    right?

6. linuxpenguin

linuxpenguin Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The Hybrid Energy Manager (70 MPH in EV modification which is a part of the PICC conversion) is designed to use the full potential of the electric motor before it uses the gasoline engine. Keep that in mind, if you demand a lot of power from the car (IE, you step on the pedal like there's no tomorrow) you will of course start the ICE and get the full power of the vehicle as you would if you stomped on the pedal of an OEM Prius.

If, on the other hand, you drive it like you normally would (and I'm assuming you don't floor the Prius all the time), the Hybrid Energy Manager will first use the full 21 KW of the electric motor. That means that if you aren't demanding more than 21 KW from the car, it may not use the ICE at all. This is different from SOC spoofing or any of the other techniques used to help the Prius use more electricity.

It also has another mode where it only allows electricity to drive the car. Since it takes advantage of both MG1 and MG2 it can go above 42 MPH in Electric-Only mode without over-revving MG2. The hardcoded speed limit for this new EV-mode is 70 MPH. At that speed you are basically using the full power from the electric motor just to overcome wind resistance.

Hope that helps explain things,
    Andrew

1 person likes this.
  7. Flying White Dutchman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    linuxP

do you also drive a system with the HEM?
    and do you have a canbus viewer where you can see the SOC that the prius is showing during drive with the HEM?
    if anyone else got this i please want to know what the SOC is when doing a highway drive and where you have full MG assistans
    is this staying at a high level of 90+ soc? and dropping only just a bit after a while?!

8. linuxpenguin

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius

Yes I do have an HEM installed in the Prius I drive (it has the PICC conversion 25 mile kit). If you're wondering if SOC spoofing accounts for the HEM's good mileage--it isn't. The HEM goes way beyond any sort of current draw that you might see due to spoofing. It will always use the full power (all 21-25 KW of it) from the electric motor before it uses the gasoline engine--regardless of what speed you are driving at.

Does this answer your question?

Andrew

1 person likes this.
  9. Flying White Dutchman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    no haha
    SOC spoofing is not the only thing you can do
    with the PICC kit and with the HEM the OEM BMS is also replaced.
    you can also simple broadcast high SOC on the canbus and because you replace the OEM BMS there is no need for spoofing.
    if you tell the prius the soc is 99 % it will alsways use max electric power and do not use the ICE
    only when you put the pedel to the metal the ice will automaticly kick in
    this is al part of the normal operation of the prius but where normally the SOC is kept at a lower point.
    so if your canbus SOC stays high for a longer periode of time where in normal life it would fall down and where your SOC on the laptop go's down and the SOC on your canbus stays high then this same technic is used... but replacing instead of spoofing.

10. linuxpenguin

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    As I said, the HEM goes way beyond any sort of benefits you would see by even reporting 99% SOC (there is hardly any difference between 74% SOC and the 99% SOC that some conversions use these days). With SOC "spoofing" or "false reporting" or whatever you want to call it--you'll see a maximum amperage draw of 30 to 40 amps during acceleration. With the HEM you'll see amperage draws of over 100 every time you accelerate because it is using the full electric power of the motor every time you drive regardless of speed.

That's how the PICC conversion gets insane mileage without requiring you to change your driving habits.

Andrew

1 person likes this.
  11. linuxpenguin

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    One more thing--I should also highlight that when you report 99% on the bus, you will most likely lose regenerative braking because the Prius thinks the battery is too charged. For that reason, most conversions don't go beyond 70 or so.

According to field tests, there is no real advantage to spoofing or reporting 99% versus a lower number. You may see 4 to 5 amp increase over the 30 or so you'll see at lower numbers, but that energy is lost when you factor in the 50/50 chance that you'll loose regenerative braking.

Andrew

1 person likes this.
  12. Flying White Dutchman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    there is also the set DCL ( discharge current limit ) and CCL.
    not only the SOC will deside what the prius wil do with regen braking but also the CCL ( charge current limit )
    and i see that with that high SOC i can sustain highway speeds without use of the ICE.

i can also do a acceleration way past 40 amps and the ice will not kick in.
    unless i go beyond 100~125 amps DCL.

13. Flying White Dutchman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  14. linuxpenguin

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I assure you, there is a significant difference between the effects of spoofing (trust me, we designed one of the original spoofing systems) and the HEM. Spoofing extends the coasting ability of the Prius at higher speeds, but it's efficiency goes way down once you actually demand power from the vehicle on the highway (or at slower speeds too). A person with a careful foot can probably see some benefit from this, though it's really not practical for the average every day user. It certainly /improves/ mileage (70-80 MPG), but we're talking a scale of four or five difference between SOC spoofing and the HEM during normal acceleration.

Spoofing also means that the Prius will shut the ICE off more (thus it extends what some have termed the Prius's "stealth" mode at low speeds which is where you see the 60 to 80 amp acceleration draw), but once the ICE turns on you only pull about 30 amps or so which is why spoofing isn't the magic bullet as far as mileage is concerned. It's usually used in conjunction with OEM EV mode for that reason.

You really just have to experience the HEM before you understand what I'm talking about I guess...it's really a different ballgame all together.

Andrew

1 person likes this.
  15. Flying White Dutchman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    well i am not talking about spoofing
    i am talking about replacing the OEM BMS like you seem to do.
    i can see 100 amps drawn from the battery without the ice starting at highway speeds because of the BMS+.
    i can start in EVmode and at the point where the ev mode normally stops and the ice starts the ice stays off and i keep in going in EV( not ev mode ) up to 100kmph.

to me this seems to be the same your doing with your HEM.

16. linuxpenguin

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    We've analyzed BMS+ and have never seen anything remotely close to what you're saying. If the ICE really is staying off (not spinning) up to 62 MPH (100 KPH) then it's damaging the transmission on the vehicle so that can't be true.

What are you using as your basis for knowing the ICE is off?

Andrew

1 person likes this.
  17. Flying White Dutchman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ICE off being no fuel used ofcourse just like you system at 70kmph the ice needs to be turned to protect the system..

just a miscom sorry
    if i say the ice is turning poeple think that its burning fuel and then i have to explain that its not and why its not
    so i keep it simple
    ofcourse thats a complet diferant story when talking to you haha

18. linuxpenguin

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hmm, well that's still inconsistent with the data we have collected. The best we've ever seen with a BMS+ was about 40 amp draw at highway speeds. Perhaps your Prius is special =).

Andrew

1 person likes this.
  19. Flying White Dutchman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    or maybe i am already using a new firmware for a long while now that you did not have when you tested it?

20. linuxpenguin

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Nope, we've tested the latest firmware with all the SOC reporting upgrades. I suppose it's possible your Prius has different OEM firmware in it but that seems unlikely. Guess your car is just special because that's certainly not how the Priuses around here operate.

Andrew

1 person likes this.