1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

70 mph EV only mode.

Discussion in 'Prius PHEV Plug-In Modifications' started by aminorjourney, Jun 10, 2009.

1. linuxpenguin

linuxpenguin Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yes, it is the max as far as I know. That's straight from Toyota's official press release about their gen2 PHEV (It's been awhile since I've read it, but I think there is a link to it somewhere in this thread). That's still over twice what the normal Prius draws which is why I suspect they had to upgrade the wiring for it.

Andrew

1 person likes this.
  2. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    what i think is because its only peak the wiring can stay the same.
    but you never know

3. That_Prius_Car

That_Prius_Car Austin Kinser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you ask me, I like the idea alot, but it is also maybe bad for the car. Forcing the hybrid componets out of their operating range may hurt the hybrid system.

4. linuxpenguin

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The hybrid energy manager (70 MPH EV mode) does not force the hybrid components out of their operating range--it respects all of the Toyota specifications. I think what Flying Dutchman was getting at was with the OEM Toyota gen2-PHEV they replaced some components with some higher performance components to avoid hurting them.

Andrew

1 person likes this.
  5. ken1784

ken1784 SuperMID designer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Speaking of Gen3 plug-in, we can see the doubling the wiring at 1 min 24 sec of following video from your thread.
    http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii-2010-prius-main-forum/70464-gen-iii-plug-in-youtube-videos.html
    I believe Toyota did the same thing on the Gen2 plug-in.

Ken@Japan

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkQZbElc-ZE&feature=channel"]YouTube - Prius Plug-in Hybrid - Video 3[/ame]

1 person likes this.
  6. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    you can clearly see that doubling is for the outgoing ( battery to MG's ) and ingoing ( for charging )
    if that extra box is really for charging or so.

the cabling seems to stay the same size. ( for what you can see if this video... so you never know if the wiring is getting bigger with a smaller shell. )

7. linuxpenguin

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yeah, it looks like the wiring size stayed the same...though remember that the 2010 Prius has a bigger motor thus they probably designed it with bigger wiring from the start to allow for increased current draw. We'll have to wait until someone compares the size of the wiring in the 2010 and the 2009 model.

At any rate, the existing wiring in the 2009 and earlier models is sufficient for the standard 21 kw that it sees during EV-mode.

Andrew

1 person likes this.