1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

700 Mile Club

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by F8L, Jul 16, 2012.

1. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the problem is, it depends on your driving charging habits. some are getting 4-500 and others 1-2000+. :eek:

2. Brett.

Brett. Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    [​IMG]

July in NJ 2012. Unusually high temps. 90's 100's. Driving with windows, instead of AC all but twice.

Miles: 700.3
    Gallons: 10.464
    Displayed: 69.8
    Actual: 66.92

At 608 miles, the last bar began to blink. The display read 68.8mpg and the "To Empty" read 25 miles.
    At 641 miles the "To Empty" read 0 (Zero) miles to go. The display was reading 68.8 mpg.

10.464 gal (US)
    8.71 gal (Imp)
    39.61 L
    352.64 kWh
    66.92 mpg (US)
    80.4 mpg (Imp)
    3.51 L/100 km
    1.49 gal (US)/100 mi
    503.56 Wh/mi

Techniques used "N" coasting, "D" gliding, Driving with load, never letting the HV battery get low enough to force the engine to turn on, 99.99% of the time not letting the PWR bar light up at all, even on hills.

At the rate I was consuming fuel, I could have emptied the tank at 796 miles. Tomorrow I'll be driving roads which I could probably have edged my mpg up to 69 or so, giving me an 800 mile tank. Now that's a goal.

walter Lee likes this.
  3. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Just to demoralize regular mortals (which includes me), here are some aspirational targets --

Are you ready to hear about 1800 miles, in a Gen2? (note that the Japanese Gen2 lacks a bladder, so has a larger tank.) New World Record Challenge: over 50km/L(117mpg) tank

For a list of previous annual records, see: 77.7 Miles per Gallon for 13 miles

walter Lee likes this.
  4. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Good job, Brett! That's any excellent tank. Thanks for posting your techniques too.

5. Ferls80

Ferls80 Performing some hypermiling techniques.

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh my god, this man is a maniac! I had a VERY HARD work to keep that f.e. (50 km/l) and just for 35 km!!!
    I really can't imagine how he could keep that value for something like more than 3000km... Wow!

6. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Ferls80,
    How many roundabouts compared to regular stop lights do you have on your regular commute?

7. Ferls80

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi there!
    I have just one stop light and something like 8 roundabouts.
    You're right markabele: roundabouts helps a lot!

8. markabele

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes! There are finally starting to be more in my city but unfortunately none on my commute or regular driving areas.

9. Codyroo

Codyroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have 3 roundabouts on my commute. The only issue I have with them is that other drivers (not as experienced and don't know roundabout rules/eitquette) sometimes screw things up, mostly when they have the right of way, stop in the roundabout because they don't trust me to stop. Now that I'm forced to stop, they then proceed and my roundabout has been reduced to a 4 way stop. Ugh. Fortunately, it doesn't happen too often.

I have no issue with PIP prius in the 700 mile club, they just need to identify themselves. My mileage would be better with a PIP, but my commute is too long for it to really shine. My wife's 2 mile commute would be friggin' awesome with a PIP.

10. walter Lee

walter Lee Hypermiling Padawan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

The real challenge to the 600 mile or 700 mile range is the fact a 2nd/3rd gen Prius is limited to 11.9 gallons.

The challenge is greater for a Prius c which has 9.5 gallon fuel tank.

The challenge is also greater for the Prius v which is heavier.

A PiP use two energy sources so to identify its achievement properly we need to record not just the gasoline used but the total amount of KwH used to recharge the HV Li-ion batteries and starting SoC between the distance travelled.

11. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh my god. Hypermiling is so boring. I'm at 560.8 miles and 67.1 miles per gallon. I've been dongoing a pulse and glide session for almost 2 hours. Ugg

12. Codyroo

Codyroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    You need better music for your Ipod! I don't mind slow and go traffic a bit if I've got some good music on. Rock on!

13. Brett.

Brett. Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you look at my previous tanks, you'll notice I hypermile 1 tank, then go crazy the next. Then hypermile, then do 2 crazy tanks. Then hypermile 1, then 3 crazy tanks. I just hypermiled 1, now I need to floor it for 4 tanks. I really get crazy sometimes going so slow. It's a real test of patience, hypermiling is.

F8L likes this.
  14. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    654 miles. Dte = 18! Wish me luck

Codyroo likes this.
  15. markabele

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    You should have 700 no problem then!

Codyroo likes this.
  16. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I did it!

*collapses from exhaustion*

[​IMG]

With the weekend coming up I wasn't sure I'd have another chance to pull off a 700 mile tank. So starting from a low of 63.5mpg (indicated) I decided to go for a short pulse & glide session to bring my average up before driving to the Bay Area tomorrow. The P&G session was tedious and sometimes nerve wracking because of other motorists but after awhile it felt like second nature. I spent time on the phone troubleshooting a computer virus problem for a friend. Then The Critic called and we BS'd about all thing Prii for awhile. Next thing I know I am at 700miles. It only took like 6 hours of doing circles around the airport to do it. *face palm*

Miles: 702.5
    Gallons:10.171
    Displayed: 71.7mpg
    Actual: 69.07mpg

Methods:
    Type: Normal commute of 98% highway and some rural road driving up to 470miles or so. The remaining miles were pulse & glide (41mph to 26mph)
    Mode: Eco
    Weather: cool to warm 50s to 80s.
    A/C: never!
    Tires: Energy Saver A/S at 46/44psi

Here is what the trip from work, to the pulse and glide location then back home looked like.

[​IMG]

PriusBull, PaulHS and Codyroo like this.
  17. Codyroo

Codyroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Gadzooks! That is awesome. When I saw your initial post that you were pulsing and gliding, I thought you meant that you were driving home from work and were trying to Pulse and Glide due to traffic. I didn't realize you meant that you were actually trying driving trying to get your tank to 700 miles! Well, the scientist and adventurer in you has won again. You now can cross that off your bucket list (until you start the 800 mile club....do yourself a favor.....don't start a 800 mile club!).

And you have done better than a goodly portion of the PIP Prius owners with that 69.1 calculated (71.7 mpg displayed) tank. I don't think I can beat your tank!

Have fun in the Bay Area! Wave as you pass Pleasanton!

18. Ferls80

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Congrats F8L, another stunning tank achieved. Keep the nice goin'!
    I also liked the 2nd pic u posted, a sum of a trip I guess. I don't have it in my 2010.

19. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks, brother! Didn't have anything else to do last night so I said heck with it. I learned quite a bit and as usual I have a bunch more questions now. I'll start a new post for those. As for my high tank, I thought you had one that was higher? Either way mine is a one-off deal. Driving in a giant 13mile loop for hours doesn't count. LOL

I have a whole new level of respect for Wayne and those Japanese hypermilers. This is hard work! At least I had little hills and turns that made it more interesting and driving along the Sacramento river half the time was nice.

20. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks! The second picture is a trip summary screen they added to the 2012 models. It is very helpful in checking your results for each trip instead of having to guess. It makes analyzing the effects of driving technique, weather conditions and modifications much easier!