1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

703 miles on one tank! (finally)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Ray Moore, Aug 20, 2004.

1. Wolfman

Wolfman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm not sure what you're getting at by computer figures. As for the station, I do my level best to use the exact same station, hence the pushing of the car to the outward limit of it's range. The weights and measures certifications are fresh, and my manual calculations were consistent within the same range as normal for my car - about 3 to 4 mpg lower than the computer - 50.3 by the calculator, and 53.2 according to the consumption screen.

Remember that fuel held in the filler neck, is not included in the capacity of the fuel tank, and I regularly fill to the top of the filler neck - for the very reason mentioned above.

2. Ray Moore

Ray Moore Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    OK I am trying to just drive it but with temps in the lower 90s and my new state of the art window tint I'm at 59.7 without trying hard and that's at 390 miles so far. Still showing 5 bars. It looks like another 700 mile tank but this time it's rather painless. Yesterday I was showing a friend how quick the car is and I quickly dropped my mileage from 60.4 to 59.7. I didn't notice how natural Prius style driving had become. Go Prius!

3. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    ok computer gallons

take tank mileage we will use your example

divide by computer mileage

computer gallons

was wondering if anyone using this method has ever gotten over 11.9 gallons

at least you got full capacity on your tank. i dont think i did. although ive only gone to a blinking bar once. that fill up was 9.8 gallons... long way from 11.9

4. Ray Moore

Ray Moore Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Hey Dave, When the last bar starts blinking on mine I have another 2 to 3 gallons. I think that those of us who get 11 to 12 gallons into the tank are driving a considerable distance on the flashing bar.

5. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    oooohhh...

ok interesting.. i wonder if that is the case even with the new tank sensor?

so iow, i have a ¼ of a tank left when that happens.

*SIGH* ... (hates the thought of carrying a gas can around to test theory)

hehehe the more i think about it, the time i did get the blinking bar reminds me of the scary movie you watched as a kid when you never got a real good look at the monster during the entire movie. so you walked out of the theater realizing that the only thing you were afraid of was that music they played before something happened.

or its toyota's way of mental torture. as i think back on it, it seems that i drove as much as 75-100 miles on the blink, but knowing me, i was so paranoid, it probably just seemed like that long... in reality it was mostly likely 20-30 miles. i guess setting trip B does is important after all.

having a few people post that they ran out of gas after only 20 miles of blink driving does not put me at ease...

6. Wolfman

Wolfman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a "classic," and don't have the fuel guage problem that the 04 owners are. IIRC, according to my manual, when the bar begins blinking, I'm "supposed" to have 1.5 gallons left in the tank.

7. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    actually, i guess the gas gauge is in line with analog gauges on other toyota products.

in my corolla there is a large red light in the middle of the speedometer that says fuel. it comes on at just over ¼ of a tank which would be about 2-3 gallons for the Pruis. however it is easy to ignore when the analog gauge still works.

unfortunately, on the Prius, the gauge is calibrated differently to where the ¼ tank that is left when the light comes on (or starts blinking in the Prius case) isnt considered on the gas gauge

kinda sucks really. im gonna go for 75 miles past blink... i think.... not sure if im up to that much stress... but will try...

8. rerstad

rerstad New Member

Just make sure that if you're pushing your tank to run it as dry as possible you're not in a remote location, like, say, Eastern Montana for example . . . where gas stations are few and far between. Unless you have your AAA card and a cell phone handy . . . .

Don't ask me how I know . . . . :oops:

Just don't push it too far after the ICE cuts out . . .

9. Ray Moore

Ray Moore Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    OK ya'll.... My mileage took a small hit yesterday losing 1/2 mpg with over 600 miles on the tank, but I started this tank with the filler neck full. I saw but didn't spill fuel at fillup. I have done very little racing and used AC almost the whole time. I have not been too obsessive about mileage but with my new tint I have seen another improvement in mileage. I currently have 730 miles on the tank at a displayed average of 59.8 MPG. The last bar has been flashing for just 38 miles and a few tanks back I went 134 miles on the flashing bar. It must be inconsistent because I wouldn't think that there would be much more than a gallon in all the plumbing. The bar shows I could go for 800 miles but I will fill up at 750 or run out trying. Yes, I am carrying a gallon in the back of the car. This car is just crazy cool and I'm just crazy. Go Prius!