1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

72 Month Maintenance

Discussion in 'Prime Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by chrisrappl, Oct 23, 2023.

1. chrisrappl

chrisrappl Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I have a 2017 Prius Prime with 25,000 miles. After the first two years, I have done my own maintenance. This will be the 6th oil and filter change, never go past 5k, but changes are 12 months apart. I don't run the ICE often, but when I do, I make sure that the engine runs long enough to get fully warmed up. Wish it had a temp gauge, but...

I use Mobile One 0-20 and Toyota OEM oil filter.
    I replaced the 12v battery at 22,480 miles
    The gas in the tank is pretty fresh

For this service I'm planning to do:
    Oil and filter
    Air filter
    Tire rotation
    Clean battery vents
    Engine and Inverter coolant change
    Transmission fluid change (I know, but it has been six years and I want clean fluid around those two motors)

Thanks Mendel for posting all that good information for the above services.

Anything else that I should address at this time?

I still have the original maps in the GPS. I need to do some research on the best place to purchase and how to update. But I can always use my phone if needed.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  2. chrisrappl

chrisrappl Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Update after performing the above maintenance:

Transmission fluid change was straight forward with no real surprises other than how tight the fill plug was installed at the factory. The old fluid was clear and cherry red.

Following the factory procedure for the coolant change, I was only able to drain about half the coolant in the engine circuit. So I filled and ran the engine up to operating temperature and drained and filled again, not great, but acceptable I guess. The original coolant still looked like new.

One challenge for my old eyes is trying to see the new crankcase oil on the dipstick. At first glance it looks empty, but in the right light you can almost see the oil level. Must be very clean inside the engine or Mobile One 0-20 is invisible, or both.

I checked and filled the other levels and was surprised to see a dipstick in the washer reservoir, never seen that before.

The bottom engine cover was a little scuffed up, but came off easily and everything above it was very clean and looked like new.

I had picked up one spare push fastener at the dealership, and I broke one during removal, so...

The battery cooling vents on each side of the rear seat were perfectly clean, so I guess nothing to really worry about unless maybe you have pets.

The brake pads and rotors look absolutely new, so a nice benefit to having regenerative braking.

The meter shows 86% EV operation. The way we use this vehicle we have to actually plan trips just to try to use a tank of gas so that it doesn't get stale.

If Toyota ever puts this same PHEV drive train in a compact pickup like the Stout, I would bite.

3. ColoradoBoo

ColoradoBoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I agree....anxiously waiting to see if the Stout comes to North America!

Since the Prime doesn't use the ICE as much as the others, I wouldn't worry about cleaning the MAF Sensor or Throttle Body until around 60,000 miles. My wife's 2017 were minimally dirty when I did them (she had 25,000 miles). I did notice her brake fluid not looking good (and I tested it and it wasn't red but yellow) so I went ahead and did a brake fluid change. (Just disconnected the battery to keep the electric motor from running and used my Mityvac suction device to pull fluid out through the bleeder valves....used just under a pint for the whole car.)

Since you don't have AWD, not rear diff to change fluid with. Was your old 12-volt battery having problems? We, still, have the original in the 2017 and I wanted to replace it but the battery tester still says it's at 100% so waiting for it to go lower.

chrisrappl likes this.
  4. chrisrappl

chrisrappl Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    "Since you don't have AWD, not rear diff to change fluid with. Was your old 12-volt battery having problems? We, still, have the original in the 2017 and I wanted to replace it but the battery tester still says it's at 100% so waiting for it to go lower."
    "

I tested the battery and it was at about 80% if I remember correctly. I charged it up and tested again and the CCA was about 10% lower than the rating, so I decided to replace it. What started this was a low battery warning on the dash. Never caused any trouble and probably would have lasted for a while yet.

What I didn't know at the time is the design of the charging circuit is lower than normal, probably since it doesn't have any heavy loads like a starter motor. I believe Toyota may have designed this to increase the life of the battery, I don't know for sure.

If I had known that the charging system does not keep the battery at a full state of charge, I may not have changed it when I did.

Doug McC likes this.
  5. ColoradoBoo

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The Prius does seem to not mind the 12-volt being not at 100%....I've tested ours and, even in the 2021, sometimes the tester will say the battery is healthy but charge is low and it suggest charging so I'll put the little charger on it for a few hours...especially if the car hasn't been driven much.

Doug McC likes this.
  6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    One tip (learned for gen 3, maybe applicable with gen 4) is to take the dipstick out, and wait a few minutes before reinserting for the level check. The dipstick may be drawing oil up the tube when you first withdraw it, smearing oil along the dipstick edges when you reinsert, making determining the true level "tricky". The wait gives that drawn-up oil a chance to drain back down.

Also, when refilling oil after a drain, I'll measure the new oil carefully (with a graduated pitcher), pour it in, and just fugedaboutit for a few days before checking. This allows it to get a little more color, and get settled in. I find an immediate check will show it kinda low, leads to temptation to add more, which ends up being overfill.

Take the time to wash the removed plastic fasteners, in warm, soapy water (don't let them go down the drain), work the mechanism while doing this, gets all the grit out, which otherwise can cause them to jam and break.

It's worthwhile digging down to the actual fan at least once, to see how it's doing.

Toyota USA "intimates", very obtusely, and with little specific instruction the Repair Manual, to do a more in-depth brake maintenance, every 3 years or 30k miles. To me that would entail taking the caliper off the rotor, disassemble, clean and relube of the pads/shims, "maybe" caliper pin relube (especially if there's any reluctance to their movement), and relube of the points of contact between caliper and pads.

#6 Mendel Leisk, Oct 31, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2023
    chrisrappl likes this.
  7. chrisrappl

chrisrappl Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Mendel and ColoradoBoo,
    Thanks for the tips.
    I didn't even consider brake maintenance.
    I am lucky to live in the Southeast with very little corrosion underneath.
    I think next year I will do the brake service and flush & bleed the brake fluid.
    I'll probably be at 30k and 84 months.

ColoradoBoo and Mendel Leisk like this.
  8. ETP

ETP 2021 Prime(Limit),24 Venza Limit,B52-D,G,F,H

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    So has anyone actually flushed their own brake fluid. My son refuses to take it to the dealer, so I am wondering what pitfalls he needs to avoid.

9. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I’ve done brake fluid change on our 2010 twice now. Had the full car on jackstands, wheels off, windows rolled down, my wife helped pushing the brake pedal, it went well. See the link in my signature for more info (on a phone turn it landscape to see signatures).

10. ColoradoBoo

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Wow, how did you get your wife to climb in the cab while the car was up on jacks? Impressive!! :)

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  11. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Just happen to have it raised again, for suspension rust mitigation (attached). Maybe we can have afternoon tea time up there, lol.

More tips:

1. good to have car on a smart charger, due to protracted time in invalid mode (car is “on”, not “ready”, in Toyota parlance).

2. Parking brake HAS to be applied, to achieve invalid mode.

Attached Files:

#11 Mendel Leisk, May 19, 2024
    Last edited: May 19, 2024
    BiomedO1 likes this.
  12. BiomedO1

BiomedO1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Love the safety stump!!
    @chrisrappl, you need to check moisture level of your brake fluid.

#12 BiomedO1, May 19, 2024
    Last edited: May 19, 2024