1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

78 MPH Cruising...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Oldwolf, Apr 13, 2015.

1. Oldwolf

Oldwolf Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    With fuel prices crazy low now people are driving much faster in I-40. This weekend I was on a road trip about 175 miles each way. I had my cruise control set on 77 mph on the way there and 78 mph on the way back and was still getting passed. Old Blue got about 44mpg+ overall. That’s pretty darn good in my book.

Aaron Vitolins likes this.
  2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    What's the speed limit, just curious?

In BC we've got a young and eager transportation minister: he recently raised a lot of the hwy limits. He's working on keep right except to pass legislation right now.

A BC doctors group clucked a bit about crash survivabity, to no avail.

3. Oldwolf

Oldwolf Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    The speed limit was 70 mph.

4. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I haven't seen any change based off of gas prices. Also most people are completely unaware that their vehicle doesn't get constant mpg. I've had a couple people I have talked to where I have had to explain that when you divide zero by any number, it is still 0. Meaning sitting in a parking lot idling, you are not getting 30mpg. Likewise many people don't understand that the numbers on the car sticker are from test cycles and vary depend on speeds. Many are very sure of themselves that their car gets that mpg if they are going 5mph or 100mph, that's what the sticker said.

Having said that, I drive the Prius on the interstate mostly, Leaf around town. Traffic in the right lane flows around 82mph-88mph (75mph speed limit) and the left lane usually cruises at 95mph to 105mph. The Prius in the left lane netted me 47mpg average this past winter on sticky winter tires and always with 2 people + gear. Yay Prius!

Data Daedalus likes this.
  5. alekska

alekska Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    105 in 75.... thats +30 mph and would be ~ $1000 ticket here in GA

- Alex

6. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The speeding alone would be about $600 here, and I believe over 25mph is automatically reckless driving or something like that too, so the total fine and points would be very high.

However when you have state troopers going with the flow of traffic at those speeds too, it doesn't seem as bad. Here you can be ticketed for holding up traffic if there are 5 cars behind you, even if you are going above the speed limit.

7. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If that's happening even in the right lane I'm moving to another planet. :ROFLMAO:

tanglefoot and Data Daedalus like this.
  8. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If it is one lane in that direction, you are required to move over at the next available opportunity onto the shoulder or pullout and allow all the vehicles you are holding up to pass. On multi-lane roads with a speed limit greater than 55mph (all highways, 65mph-75mph posted limits and most major roads) the left lane is for passing only. So if you are cruising in the left you better move over to the right lane when 5 people pull up behind you. I have seen at least 3 occasions now where a trooper has pulled over the lead car of a pack going the speedlimit. The road normally moves must faster and if you are on a 1-lane each way road going the speedlimit you get a blockage of cars. Police goes down the other lane with lights flashing and pulls over the lead car, no speeding involved. They ran a campaign for a year after the law was announced just telling people of the new law if they were pulled over without punishment. That was about a decade ago and now there is no leniency.

9. Blizzard_Persona

Blizzard_Persona Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    image.jpg 55 mph on cc in the far right lane....

If I can do it in Philly w/o getting killed then you can too..

:)

2015 Persona w/ the stock 17's..

My best commute mpg's to date!!

10. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I wonder how they'd deal with something like a self-driving Google car, abiding by the speed limit?

11. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The overall question is how do you deal with law breaking self driving cars? Is Google at fault, the driver, the firmware engineers?

12. tanglefoot

tanglefoot Whee!

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Yikes--I can't believe those speeds! No wonder I try to stay off the road as much as possible. I guess I'm in the land of the slow-speed laws too.

The Prius is my fast car, and I usually do around the speed limit with it (which I guess is too slow), but the other one is an overloaded '85 Toyota 4wd that likes to cruise at 55-60 on the flats, slower on the inclines. I've never experienced or witnessed a traffic stop for slow traffic. I like to find someone slow I can stick behind, but maybe I'm helping someone else into trouble. Oh crumb, why can't it be the 1980s? I love 55 mph (or slower).

I seem to get by when I stay on the county roads during off-peak times.

I may have to pick up a few of those "I'm peddling as fast as I can" stickers.

Hmm...it might be a pretty idyllic time when most or all of the cars on the road are self-driving. That'll sure take a lot of stress out of it. How does one go about a nice Rip Van Winkle slumber for a few decades?

#12 tanglefoot, Apr 28, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2015