1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

8 CARB States join forces to support plug-ins

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by wjtracy, Oct 24, 2013.

1. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Heard part of a radio news story today saying something about Plug_ins...presumably this is what they were talking about:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/25/business/energy-environment/coalition-of-states-seeks-to-spur-use-of-electric-cars.html?_r=0

The coalition of states — California, Connecticut, Maryland, Massachusetts, New York, Oregon, Rhode Island and Vermont — is roughly the same as the one that formed in the early 1990s to embrace tighter emissions limits on gasoline-powered cars, which the federal government later embraced. The goal, they said, was to achieve sales of at least 3.3 million vehicles that did not have any emissions by 2025.

2. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    For emission, I hope they take account of upstream emission from producing electricity and gasoline.

3. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    No New Jersey. Shocking. :rolleyes:

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i hope they also come up with some collective incentives. right now, massachusetts offers nothing.

5. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If it helps, MA looks pretty good for Plug_ins and hybrids to me!
    Almost as exact duplicate of MD, but MD does allow up to $1000 plug in credit ($600 for PiP).
    But MA has the following good things like MD:
    • CARB warranty
    • Low sales tax (6%)
    • Annual car tax - none
    • Annual Fee for Hybrid/Plug_in - none?
    • Increasing gaso taxes (gives high MPG cars defacto credit)

6. 3PriusMike

3PriusMike Prius owner since 2000, Tesla M3 2018

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Maybe a good idea, maybe not. It may still be better to get the smog out of LA even with a net electricity emissions greater IMO.

Mike

7. zhenya

zhenya Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I would love to see NY offering some more incentives - even a nominal credit on the car's purchase, and some credits to spur EV charging station installation in homes and businesses.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    thanks! where can i find this info? from what i recall,

2) same sales tax on a vehicles

3) excise tax = annual car tax?

5) no political will for increasing gas tax.

9. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree we are all entitled to clean air - "clean" to me means devoid of pollutants (not including CO2).
    Therefore if there is a local issue such as smog in CA, and if the models clearly show gaso cars are significantly contributing to the smog problem, then that should be justification for favoring Zero emissions cars. Sort of the proverbial "left-handed smoke-shifter" we used to jokingly send new Boy Scouts to look for, actually exists.

The "justification problem" comes in for CARB states which may not have shown that fuel-switching to electric actually improves the air quality, or where reduced CO2 is the justification. Massachusetts web page (link in NYTimes article) says one reason they are promoting EV because EV's make less CO2 than gaso cars -- which I have a problem with that statement (eg; Prius). I also wonder if they changed the content of that web page this morning, now it has even more justifications I would question.

10. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I was comparing to MA to MD, but I don't know MA as well as I do MD.
    So correct me if I am wrong. Just seems to me MD and MA are similar.

I am thinking both MA and MD have increased gaso taxes this summer. MD plans annual increases.
    Massachusetts drivers not happy about increased state gas tax | masslive.com
    as contrasted to VA (we decreased our gaso tax)

I am thinking both MA and MD have car sales tax in ~6% range (MD calls it "excise tax")
    -MD does give up to $1000 off excise tax for plug-ins

I am thinking neither MA or MD charge extra annual car taxes based on car value, whereas the extra car taxes tend to erode the financial benefits of hybrids/plug-ins.

11. 3PriusMike

3PriusMike Prius owner since 2000, Tesla M3 2018

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I think that trying to micro-manage every local issue just leads to confusion and extra analysis costs. It is true that moving emissions out of cities is a gain for smoggy cities. So what if someone buys an EV and only drives it far from any city and for that specific car there might be a net increase in emissions, without a drop in smog? Moving people to EVs is step 1; cleaning up the grid (in general) is step 2. Not taking step 1 because step 2 isn't perfectly complete makes no sense. Step 1 and step 2 are not dependent on each other...they can be worked on at different rates.

Mike

dipper and Trollbait like this.
  12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i must have been under a rock when they implemented the gas tax increase.:) it's hard to spot with gas price decreases. we do have a local annual excise tax based on depreciated car value, which goes to cities and towns for road repair i believe.

13. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Both steps can be taken at the same time. Well designed plugins like Leaf and PiP running on electricity are as clean or cleaner than 50 MPG Prius on gas.

I think what wjtracy was saying was, you don't have to take a step back (higher emission) for #1, in order to motivate #2.

14. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I was agreeing with Mike, CA definitely has a valid smog reduction target as justification for supporting zero emission vehicles. But I was also agreeing with you, to consider upstream emissions. I don't quite see as clear justification in some of the states eg; MD which I think is pretty big on coal power.

15. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    OK thanks I must check and add MA to the list of states with car tax. Seems about half the states do this.

16. dipper

dipper Senior Member

As much as we hate coal power, at least with an EV, you are supporting US not having to fight (and kids die) for oil. There is no benefit for not at least start on the EV movement before cleaning the power source. Otherwise, we will all be driving ICE cars for many years since companies like Toyota would never make one on their own will.

17. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Go look beyond this joint statement by some publicity seeking government types and see how much money to implement the scheme they are putting up. Without standards and charging infrastructure EVs are at the mercy of range restrictions and proprietary battery designs. When I can take off in a EV and have little or no worry about where I am going and how much longer it will take me in additional time to fuel then I have interest. But with both those uncertain (even though 90% of the time I could be in range) an EV would be an option only with some non-changeable advance planning of routes, temperatures, etc. Imagine the detour that takes you away from the one charging station on your planed route.

18. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Dipper- throw me a bone on your profile...what state are you in? What car do you have?

19. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    From my electric company.
    Responsible Coal

20. dipper

dipper Senior Member

CA. Electricity is one of the most expensive in this part of the country. I have friends that rack up $500-$800 a month in electricity bills because of electric cooktop and oven. And they live in part of Bay Area where weather is usually between 50-80 degrees most of the year.

wjtracy likes this.