1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

$8 lunch

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Zeppo Shanski, May 19, 2019.

1. Zeppo Shanski

Zeppo Shanski Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Base
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    ice cream sundays? my how times have changed since my 30 cent hs lunch of chinese chop suey.

can you even say chinese chop suey today?:oops:

Raytheeagle likes this.
  3. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Surprised you didn’t latch onto te smoothies or sundaes that were made by the cashier;).

I know back in my day it was milk only (y).

bisco likes this.
  4. Zeppo Shanski

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Did either of you guys read the story? ... It's a lot more than just a picture.

5. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I read it;).

There’s corporate America involved in keeping the contract it appears:cool:.

But definitely more than what I had growing up on the school lunch program from the local high school (y).

bisco likes this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the story is confusing. when i was in school, if you didn't have 30 cents, you didn't get lunch. i realize we live in a much kinder and gentler society today, but the talk of competing lunch providers and cafeteria managers just complicates matters.

#6 bisco, May 19, 2019
    Last edited: May 19, 2019
    Raytheeagle likes this.
  7. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    +1.

When you can generate $521k in revenue, what does that say about the product given to the end user:whistle:.

But if you get a sundae or smoothie, it buys a lot of happiness I guess (y).

bisco likes this.
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    this all began when my kids were in school. reading stories about mcdonalds becoming the school cafeteria, and coke and candy machines being installed as 'profit centers'.

then, they make a 180 and start talking about the obesity problem.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  9. Zeppo Shanski

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    When I was in school nobody ever missed lunch. It was $2/week for a hot-lunch tray. Everyone was served the same meal. If you would like more ... if there was any after everyone was served ... it was given. I went to a large disgustingly socio-economically biased high-school. I was part of the bussed-in white trash. The lunch cashiers had notebooks to keep tabs if you came up short $-wise. I'm now a 30+ year retired Chicago Public School teacher. I've never seen a child miss lunch. Many of the schools I've worked had FREE breakfast available too.

Any school that lets a student miss lunch ... whatever the whatever they put on their tray ... needs a new program. YES ... I believe in letting a student pay tomorrow for a cheeseburger today ... as long as tomorrow isn't next month.

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that seems reasonable, but i'm not seeing how it coincides with the report

Raytheeagle likes this.
  11. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Yeah it seems to editorial off topic ;).

But since it is in FHOPancakes, what else would you expect(y).

bisco likes this.
  12. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I guess the expected profit would speak more directly to that than expected revenue.

But I noticed the two bidders had very different ideas of how much they'd be able to spare for the school district, out of all that revenue.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  13. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Definitely seems to be different business models;).

But the bottom line savings to the tax payer I’m sure are their primary concerns when rendering their services:whistle:.

14. Zeppo Shanski

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    OK ... If I can maybe simplify this ...

(just like I believe in the business of life) ... People over Shareholders.

#14 Zeppo Shanski, May 19, 2019
    Last edited: May 19, 2019
    Raytheeagle likes this.
  15. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Look at all the disposable plastic dreck on that tray. When I was a kid we packed a peanut butter sandwich, done. Thirsty, bring a thermos, or use the water fountain.

I'm sure day-after-day great black plastic garbage bags full of the "remains" head out to the landfill.

bisco and Raytheeagle like this.
  16. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    As a leader of 60 folks, I know people make the difference ;).

And while the article talks about one front line workers actions, it appears the white tower wasn’t as supportive of their actions :cool:.

While people make the difference, if there are no funds rolling in, the business holds the cards(y).

17. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Wow. I just got back to my hotel from a blowout dinner in a steakhouse and your comment reminded me of the wooden cheeseburgers they served in my elementary school. I can't remember specific prices paid nor the policy for missing lunch money, but I do remember that they had some sort of tab for the kid caught short, and it worked. Everyone ate, nobody fired.

I'm trying to imagine what it would be like to have to fire somebody for extending credit to a schoolkid. That would make me want to quit too.

Raytheeagle and Zeppo Shanski like this.
  18. Zeppo Shanski

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    First off ... IT'S ONLY A PICTURE! ... please try to get off that stupid idea.

Next ... SCREW the freakin' businesses. Fed students ... even if it's not the best of diets ... PERFORM BETTER THAN HUNGRY STUDENTS. ... It doesn't take any freakin' abacus to figure that out. GFY if you've got any problem with that. The Lunch Lady should get a raise. Screw the cork-soaking business company. The White Tower can suck me.

19. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Boo and hiss, but I was one of those kids who grew up without lunch and I actually think it made me stronger.

MOST kids at my school brought their lunch NOT bought. IIRC, buying lunch in elementary school cost 30 cents USD. My family did not have the 30 cents, nor the income to supply me with lunch. I got a sparse breakfast of cereal at home (oatmeal, usually, which I still hate). Dinner was also nothing special, usually. Lots of rice/pasta, etc. And to this day I still mostly skip lunch.

There was no program that gave away food.

I do not think it harmed me. To the contrary, I think it gave the incentive for me to KNOW that I was not entitled to anything and if I wanted/needed something, I darn well better work for it, because not much free stuff would be coming my way.

I worked from as soon as I was able. Around the neighborhood and as I matured, jobs in stores, restaurants and factories. In those days, no one checked ages and I managed to get jobs in factories my last two summers of high school. Worked seven days a week to earn money for college.

I actually applaud the woman for her actions, but, I also think that if people are continually put on the easy path, they never learn the value of anything and they learn to expect something for nothing....seems to me I have heard that same theory from many people.

Hmmm, this thread may be heading for House of politics...

ETC(SS), Prieth, Merkey and 2 others like this.